• Privatize social security

Social security should be privatized because it is your own money, and you should be able to do what you want with it. It is safer to take of your money yourself and it assures that you aren't being taken advantage of, or if something going wrong. It mainly just gives the person control of whats theirs.

• It should be privatized

Yes, social security should be privatized. It should be up to each person what they do with their money. We should not let other people have control over our money and what we do with it. It will leave people to decide how their retirement plan will happen, and what they want to do.

• Social Security should be privatized.

Many american citizens should make their own choice private accounts would allow a workers personal ownership and they have their retirement funds and having their own freedom of choice. Also if the accounts were optional "would also be free to choose weather to exercise the personal account option or sentimentally in the old social security framework." I have siblings who need SSI. This is good for disabled. 3 of my siblings are special needs, one is severe, and the other two are autistic.

• Social Security should be privatized.

• Social security should be privatized

Social security should be privatized because people should be able to control what happens in regards to their retirement. It's their life, they can do what they want with it. And if people lack the literacy/knowledge to do it on their own, there is nothing stopping them from getting help.

• Privatized Social Security

Social security is an old, slightly irrelevant, and altogether out of date policy. However it is not useless. The funds to help those of whom are to old to work is needed and the funds are going to a reasonable cause. However making the people of whom can barely pay for themselves, give money to those of whom lived cushy lives, you have to see where credit is due, and therefore private investors, not people, should pay for social security.

• Ban Social Security!

Social Security means that the government is taking your hard earned dollars and giving them to people that are to lazy, old and tired to work. These people have too many babies, are to fat and cannot work or or too old, you work hard for your money YOU should decide where it goes.

• Selfish reasons are why people say no to privatization

Those who support not privatizing SS seem to be doing it for themselves and not for the bigger reason. If SS is not privatized it will be lost and no longer there for others to use and enjoy the benefit. Grandfathering those who are in it now would be a solution while allowing those who will not be retirement age for 20 or more years have control over how the money is managed. Just like we do for private investments.

• Private accounts give individuals control over their retirement decision

Many American citizens should make their own decision regarding on how they want their retirement plan to work out. Having a private account would allow workers decision, and their ownership control over how they want to handle their retirement funds. Also if the accounts were optional "Would be free to choose whether to exercise the personal account option or stay entirely in the old social security framework."

• Private accounts give individuals control.

Many american citizens should make their own choice private accounts would allow a workers personal ownership and they have their retirement funds and having their own freedom of choice. Also if the accounts were optional "would also be free to choose weather to exercise the personal account option or sentimentally in the old social security framework."

• No, the truth should be told about it is all.

The program is voluntary in the first place. If the government allows it to go into private hands then the reign of tyranny will be from a private company who will ignore the laws anyways. If people wish to have a retirement program then they can invest their money with an investment company as it is. But because it is done under a treaty the program will be harder to implement if it is in the hands of a private company instead of the hands of a corrupt government.

• No, because the profit motive should be kept out of the Social Security system.

I think the privatization of Social Security would be bad for everyone. The system currently provides a very basic safety net, which is not motivated by profit. Were the profit motive to enter into the Social Security system, there would be a large presence of companies, with no ethics, looking to transfer as much money as possible to themselves, with the entire American population as their captive customers. People are already able to privately invest of their own choice, if they so wish.

Posted by: tacomoon
  • Social security should not be privatized because it privatization makes it easier for companies to scam older adults without appropriate government oversight.

I believe the privatization of social security would be harmful because of the lack of government oversight. Companies would try to increase their own profits by exploiting older adults, especially those who are unable to navigate a more complicated, privatized industry. It is important that older adults be able to afford to live after retirement and the government should be responsible for ensuring that. Of course, social security may need to undergo changes to better improve the lifestyles of older Americans.

Posted by: R33Amory
  • I don't think social security should be privatized because not everyone would be able to access it.

I don't think social security should be privatized because not everyone would be able to access it. As a government program, everyone has the same opportunity to access social security. It is also a priority for people to get it as they have to contribute to the fund throughout their working career. If it was privatized, not everyone would find it important to contribute as they would say they can't afford it. Because of that, more people would live in poverty as they aged and less would be able to afford to retire. It is more effective as a government program.

Posted by: ObaICheese
  • Social security should not be privatized because it would open all kinds of doors for fraud and theft.

The social security system should not be privatized. A company is a non-entity which means it has the same rights as a person but all too often when there is corruption within that company, no one has to pay the consequences. If social security were privatized, it would open too many doors for the companies running it to steal our hard earned money, and I don't trust the government to oversee the companies running social security.

Posted by: Nik0Interior
  • I do not think that social security should be privatized.

I do not think that social security should be privatized. While I am a proponent of privatizing almost everything that the government does, I do not believe that we could continue to support the system if the program was shifted away from the government at this time. It is an interesting time now with the big banks are being owned by the government and high salaries associated with handling large sums money are not bounded so it would be a very poor time to take this private. I think that we need to get our financial system in the US underway before we begin to add responsibility to it.

Posted by: SilverMathi
  • Social security is too large an entity to be privatized.

Social Security is too large and important a component of American society to ever be allowed to become privatized. The potential possibilities for abuse by an individual corporation that has access to trillions of dollars is an open invitation to theft by dishonest administrators. The millions of people who live on social security income depend on their monies arriving on time, and a poorly managed social security system privately operated could have devastating results.

Posted by: ThegaXen
  • Social Security should not be privatized because it is a government operation and the government should have full responsibility for it.

For many years, our government has been in charge of Social Security. I know there are problems, but I have been on Social Security for five years and I have been pleased with the service I have gotten. Whenever I have had a problem, I received service at my local Social Security Office and the problem was solved to my satisfaction within a reasonable time. I believe that getting another entity involved will just create another bottleneck in the administration of this most vital program.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • I do not think social security should be privatized, the current system needs work, but privatization is not the way.

I am against the idea of privatizing social security. Social Security was set up as a safety net for the elderly. It is supposed to be about people, not about profit, and the private sector is all about profit. The two ideas clash, and if social security is taken over by a private industry then our poverty, and health care issues will severely increase, especially considering that our elderly population is skyrocketing.

Posted by: XglossyWynd
  • Social security works best because it is a public program that serves Americans, and it should remain that way.

Social security is one of the best social programs that the United States has ever developed. It is one of the things that Americans can rely and depend on, as they get older. They have comfort knowing that they can work for years, and that the work they are doing will be rewarded to help provide for them when they are older and unable to work. The idea of privatizing this system is not a good one, and will only serve to help the private companies profit. It will be a detriment to the Americans who depend on that income, when they become older or disabled. Privatizing social security would mean that it is no longer a guaranteed system that Americans can depend on. Instead, it would be more like a pension program, and many pension programs have ended because private companies have found them too costly. It is not worth the risk of such an important program ending or being downsized. It should remain a public program that is backed by the United States government, not at the whim of the profit and losses of private companies.

Posted by: RapidGarret59