• Yes Privatize Social Security

I believe Social Security should be privatized. It should not be a priority of the government to figure out the benefits and retirements funds. With each paycheck an individual makes they should be organized in saving it away and putting it towards their future so Social Security doesn't have to exceed the taxes they are receiving in order to fund retirement. With the idea of privatized Social Security individuals will be able to control their retirement future and reset the balance of solvency.

• I feel like it

I feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it i feel like it

• We already do our part.

Yes, Social Security should be privatized because people and their families make their income with hard work, entitling them to doing what they feel free to do with that money without anyone knowing. Taxes are mandatory and if they're paying their taxes, all is well. Having a retirement is a choice on how early you are able to accomplish that.

• My money my way

I feel it should really be up to our choice what we do with our money and how we can invest it in other things or just simply have it in our savings ,and i feel the government has its own money they get from other wages to pay for social security

• Ggg ggg ggg

Gg g g g ggg g g gg g gg g g g gj j j j j j j j j j j jj j j j j j j jj jj j j j j jj j j j j j j j jj j j j jj

• The Bottom Line

Social Security is not sustainable without reform. Simply put, it cannot pay promised future benefits with current levels of taxation. Yet raising taxes or cutting benefits will only make a bad deal worse. However, allowing younger workers to privately invest their Social Security taxes through individual accounts will improve Social Security’s rate of return; provide better retirement benefits; treat women, minorities, and low-income workers more fairly; and give workers real ownership and control of their retirement funds.

• Social Security privatized

In my personal opinion, social security should be private. Its bittersweet to have social security. One pro is helping others, for example, if one of your family members were on SSI, would you have an issue paying for them? One con is how much money is given into something like this.

• Unless Your Already Collecting It - YES!

Social Security is the most unsustainable expenditure in our government. What I'm paying out of every paycheck isn't going into some account to accrue interest and pay for my subsidies down the road, it's paying for the subsidies of others, RIGHT NOW. THERE IS NO FUTURE IN THIS PROGRAM. Anyone under the age of 60 should be planning to retire without any government subsidies, because, frankly, there won't be any.

• Privatize social security

It should be privatized because that way the individual has the power to invest and increase the value of its money . They will not have to worry about not seeing the money when they need it. Also this will cut government spending and it will help money flow in the Us

• Give me a break

Ill be the first to tell you, im biased. SOCIAL SECURITY IS A PONZI SCHEME! The only obligation you have to your country is to pay your taxes and die for your country! Thats the way I feel right now. Don't take my money and give it to other people

• No, the truth should be told about it is all.

The program is voluntary in the first place. If the government allows it to go into private hands then the reign of tyranny will be from a private company who will ignore the laws anyways. If people wish to have a retirement program then they can invest their money with an investment company as it is. But because it is done under a treaty the program will be harder to implement if it is in the hands of a private company instead of the hands of a corrupt government.

• No, because the profit motive should be kept out of the Social Security system.

I think the privatization of Social Security would be bad for everyone. The system currently provides a very basic safety net, which is not motivated by profit. Were the profit motive to enter into the Social Security system, there would be a large presence of companies, with no ethics, looking to transfer as much money as possible to themselves, with the entire American population as their captive customers. People are already able to privately invest of their own choice, if they so wish.

Posted by: tacomoon
  • Social security should not be privatized because it privatization makes it easier for companies to scam older adults without appropriate government oversight.

I believe the privatization of social security would be harmful because of the lack of government oversight. Companies would try to increase their own profits by exploiting older adults, especially those who are unable to navigate a more complicated, privatized industry. It is important that older adults be able to afford to live after retirement and the government should be responsible for ensuring that. Of course, social security may need to undergo changes to better improve the lifestyles of older Americans.

Posted by: R33Amory
  • I don't think social security should be privatized because not everyone would be able to access it.

I don't think social security should be privatized because not everyone would be able to access it. As a government program, everyone has the same opportunity to access social security. It is also a priority for people to get it as they have to contribute to the fund throughout their working career. If it was privatized, not everyone would find it important to contribute as they would say they can't afford it. Because of that, more people would live in poverty as they aged and less would be able to afford to retire. It is more effective as a government program.

Posted by: ObaICheese
  • Social security should not be privatized because it would open all kinds of doors for fraud and theft.

The social security system should not be privatized. A company is a non-entity which means it has the same rights as a person but all too often when there is corruption within that company, no one has to pay the consequences. If social security were privatized, it would open too many doors for the companies running it to steal our hard earned money, and I don't trust the government to oversee the companies running social security.

Posted by: Nik0Interior
  • I do not think that social security should be privatized.

I do not think that social security should be privatized. While I am a proponent of privatizing almost everything that the government does, I do not believe that we could continue to support the system if the program was shifted away from the government at this time. It is an interesting time now with the big banks are being owned by the government and high salaries associated with handling large sums money are not bounded so it would be a very poor time to take this private. I think that we need to get our financial system in the US underway before we begin to add responsibility to it.

Posted by: SilverMathi
  • Social security is too large an entity to be privatized.

Social Security is too large and important a component of American society to ever be allowed to become privatized. The potential possibilities for abuse by an individual corporation that has access to trillions of dollars is an open invitation to theft by dishonest administrators. The millions of people who live on social security income depend on their monies arriving on time, and a poorly managed social security system privately operated could have devastating results.

Posted by: ThegaXen
  • Social Security should not be privatized because it is a government operation and the government should have full responsibility for it.

For many years, our government has been in charge of Social Security. I know there are problems, but I have been on Social Security for five years and I have been pleased with the service I have gotten. Whenever I have had a problem, I received service at my local Social Security Office and the problem was solved to my satisfaction within a reasonable time. I believe that getting another entity involved will just create another bottleneck in the administration of this most vital program.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • I do not think social security should be privatized, the current system needs work, but privatization is not the way.

I am against the idea of privatizing social security. Social Security was set up as a safety net for the elderly. It is supposed to be about people, not about profit, and the private sector is all about profit. The two ideas clash, and if social security is taken over by a private industry then our poverty, and health care issues will severely increase, especially considering that our elderly population is skyrocketing.

Posted by: XglossyWynd
  • Wall street is waiting for us to slip again

We never learn. The Wall street hedge fund managers nearly took down the US economy just a few short years ago because of short term high risk investment risks for high returns and now we want to trust them with our retirement money?? Americans do not save enough money for retirement because of low paying jobs throughout their lives that do not allow them to save money for anything let alone retirement. Take the income limits off of SS taxes and the system is instantly solvent.