Should society ban or restrict the sale and play of violent video games?

• Violent video games teach kids that hurting others is cool, for that reason they should not be available to sale

Violent video games should be restricted so that children can not access them. I am not anti-video games, because tests have shown that playing can improve hand eye coordination. I am not even against violent games, the problem however is that children are now saturated by violent images promoting negative behaviors, and something marketed to them as fun should not promote killing, beating, or hurting others in any way. I don't think that banning will stop the production or demand for these products unless we adjust society so that everything we do, movies, music, and adult behavior, isn't all about violence. I do think that enforcing the rating system and making parents more responsible for what kids access is a step in the right direction.

Posted by: XglossyWynd
  • I support restrictions on the sales of violent video games, there should be a minimum age in place.

As a parent I do not want my children exposed to unnecessary violence, video game violence included. The current rating system works well for me, I find it a valuable tool in making decisions for my family. Having a minimum age required for the purchase of the most violent of games allows those interested in such games to purchase them without allowing my children to walk into a store & buy them. If my children would like the game, we can review it together and decided together if it is appropriate for their developmental stage, or look for a similar, yet more enjoyable game.

Posted by: R34IChas
  • Society should restrict the sale of violent games to adults because the content is not suitable for youngsters.

Young children should not be able to buy violent video games. Sometimes there is sexual content in them which they should not be exposed to. Children can get addicted to these games and that is all that they want to do. When they are older and more mature, hopefully if they want to play these games, they can handle it.

Posted by: takeitoneday
  • ban video games

There are too many groups of people who wish to ban things that they find objectionable, and their views do not reflect the views of the majority, and this is a personal decision best left to the individual consumer. There should be wise guidelines for the sale of certain games, just as there are guidelines on movies and other adult materials. But, no group should have the right to restrict what another wishes to purchase. There are too many moralistic groups who are wanting to push their beliefs on the general public, and that is not acceptable. So, I do support restricting overly violent games to adult purchasing, because parents do not always know what the games contain, and this restriction will clue them in as to the content of the game.

• YES ban them

People are saying it is the parents that should watch what their kids are playing and watching, but why is it solely on the parents? What doesn't congress, the president, and society in general want to help develop children into fine citizens that aren't thinking and acting out violence because that's what they see.

• There are too many groups of people who wish to ban things that they find objectionable, and their views do not reflect the views of the majority, and this is a personal decision best left to the individual consumer.

There should be wise guidelines for the sale of certain games, just as there are guidelines on movies and other adult materials. But, no group should have the right to restrict what another wishes to purchase. There are too many moralistic groups who are wanting to push their beliefs on the general public, and that is not acceptable. So, I do support restricting overly violent games to adult purchasing, because parents do not always know what the games contain, and this restriction will clue them in as to the content of the game.

Posted by: DaffyRosario43
  • Violent video games should be banned, especially for the sake of children.

I don't understand the need for a video game that is violent. This world is violent enough without them. I especially think that a young child shouldn't be around these games either. Children are innocent, so why do we want to corrupt their minds? I believe these games are just evil, and will corrupt a child's mind.

Posted by: DefectiveConrad72
  • I agree with society putting restrictions on the sale and play of violent video games to an extent, because young children should not be playing these games.

There has been an increase in violence in children over the years because of the violent video games they are being exposed to. There has been research that has shown these clear results. I don't think that society should ban the sale of violent video games, but there should be a restriction for younger children on the games. I also think that parents should restrict or even ban the play of violent games for kids under the age of 16. There are too many effects on children from the games, and it's causing problems in society.

Posted by: labooboo93
  • I agree that society should restrict the sale and play of violent video games because children become desensitized to violence and its impact.

It is a known fact that as a result of violent video games, children see violent acts in society with less horror and equate it with the non-personal responses to the game. I personally know someone who witnessed a murder and stated that it was like watching a video game, however, violent video games could have a function in the military to desensitize soldiers when engaged in a war-time situation.

Posted by: TrainSayr
  • The absolutely should

First of all those who say they play the games and are not affected, probably don't even see affect that these games have on them. These games are not going to turn everyone that plays them into a psychopath, but it has implanted those violent images in your head, which my only be thoughts of an act if violence seen in a video game played out in your head as some sort of resolution. Yes you may not act on that impulse but no one who plays the games can say that these thoughts are not there. No one can be exposed to violence and not be affected by it in some way or another. That being said many of these games have such disturbing images that one has to wonder what kind of person creates these games to begin with and why is it okay? Surely if there were video games that depicted Klu Klux Klan members killing and hurting people of non-white races there would be a huge media uproar, yet games that depict violence toward women, children, and innocent people seems to be under the radar. Why are we allowing video games, movies and media to contribute to the blood lust so many seem to enjoy? Why do people enjoy watching media and playing games where people suffer in extremely gory and violent ways? We should be evolving to bigger and better things not contributing to a bunch of people sitting around playing games that do nothing but create and contribute to a sick and twisted fantasy world that unfortunately sometimes finds it way into the real world.

• why??

because its already eough violents out here so why should we stop the use of violent games its just going to get wores with or without it so why stop the use n thats me answer

• Only Wackjobs Support Bans on Violent games...

"Violent" games do not cause "real life" violence. In every case of a school shooting the media always purposely overlooks the real cause, Botched Terrorism (Columbine), Drugs or Mental Illness (V Tech), Naziism (Unnamed Quebec Shooting), etc. There is NO evidence violent games cause real life violence. Their is questionable, even manufactured "evidence" that violent games make kids aggressive. I don't care how many clueless morons out there think that "kids" will get "corrupted" by violent games and that "gamers" are nothing but sociopaths, druggies, rapists, pedophiles, school shooters, you name it, there is no valid, correct, legal reason to completely ban violent games to adults. Period. Every day there are people online on Facebook, etc, who support a COMPLETE (as in not a restriction to adults) Ban on Violent games. over 250 people on Facebook wanted violent games banned. TO EVERYONE. People like this have threatened my life in the past, and should not be in power, period. The media makes up crap about violent games all the time that is clearly fabricated. After columbine 2 major internet hoaxes emerged saying doom influenced columbine, only to be cited by over 500 media sources. The media profited from this and afterwards 2 bills were put into state senates that would completely ban violent games to everyone. They failed (thankfully). Almost every claim about violent games spread by the media is a fabrication, and people are believing them like wildfire, such as 1) Violent games are being marketed to kids 2) Violent games make kids violent and much more. All of this should point to how moronic the anti-violent games/gamers/companies movement has gotten.

• No

I don't think it should be banned because i believe that the people who play the game should be responsible for the actions after they play. Also if a child is playing that game maybe their parents should consider not letting them play that game and/or not let them play in general.

• |It's not the games fault it's the person that plays it.

Video games shouldn't be banned because they can teach you stuff like right from wrong, or to protect yourself and some games teach learning stuff. Also some games are good for you. Also some games you could play with your family. Some games even help you exercise and with sports.

• We should be able to

People need to take out their anger somehow. Also people can tell the differences between reality and fantasy. Only the people who don't have a life can't understand that. The last thing s because people love to play video games and chat with people from around the world! Restricting that access will be bad.

• They should not ban or restrict the sale and play of violent video games.

There are so many people who play video games and you don't see them all doing irrational stuff that could end people's lives. People need to focus on other things like bullying and mental disabilities. Also, there are quite a number of books and movies that are as violent as video games.

• No, as without them there would be no YouTube videos and the majority of YouTube involves gaming.

It is actually good for children because without them we would have a rise in kids with ADHD. Also without them there would be no YouTube videos and the majority of YouTube involves gaming. Plus they're good for kids as that way they enjoy their childhood and decreases the rates of ADHD.

• No they should not

It is not anyone's job to restrict video games. The ESRB is there to show the appropriateness of video games. Not "society's" job to tell us how to live. Parents can decide if their kids should play higher rated games. Besides, movies have way more violence, drugs and nudity. Kids are under control of adults so they should decide whether they should let their kids play or not. Look at the rating, it's not like they didn't tell you what was in it that made it bad.

• No

ESRB is responsible for providing rating systems for video games. If a game is rated M, an adult must be the one to buy it. Parents must take responsibility and just say no if they don't want their kids to play violent video games, rather than placing a ban on a multi-million dollar industry.

• no they shouldn't

I think that they shouldn't ban violent video games if it makes the companythat made it have a great profit and video games give people better hand eye cordination and increase intellegence. plus children should realize theses video games are based on fake story's and arent real children should knownot to anything that could harm them or other people because of these games using violent content.