Should Spanish be a mandatory course in public schools?

• Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language .

If you ever go to large cities or the coast there are people who speak Spanish it would be nice to be able to speak to them in their 1st language or speak to them. Also a lot of countries teach English to their student so why cant we learn Spanish. Gracias por leer. (Sorry if i spelled it wrong).

• Sí , el español es bueno para nuestra cultura

The USA has a very good opportunity to adopt some of the Hispanic culture into the American way of life. Speaking Spanish is apart of the every day life of nearly 38 million Americans and that number is growing. Most Americans have this attitude that everyone else speaks English so why should we bother learning a foreign language when its pointless. Learning Spanish is not pointless because it can be used to connect with our Hispanic neighbors. We are a true melting pot and that can include a second language.

• Spanish is Better!

Spanish is alot easier to learn and write. If you know how a word is spelled, you can almost always know how it is pronounced (although the reverse isn't true). It also is the worlds 2nd common language. Many schools also have Spanish as a mandatory language because its better to help them when looking for a career

• Spanish should be required in Public schools.

I think that Spanish should be required in Public schools. If you know Spanish while going into Collage you have a better chance to have a career. Also if you know Spanish and run for a job you have a better chance anyway. A lot of people in the speak Spanish in the world, because over 21 countries have Spanish listed as there first language.

• Education should be bilingual in the United States as it is in all the civilized countries of the world. We are lacking behind...

There is an overwhelming number of studies and successful models around the world that provide evidence that early foreign language instruction is the way to go. In Europe children learn 2 and 3 languages since early age and develop along the way cognitive skills beyond their linguistic abilities, not to mention a cultural competency to make them wonderful 21st century individuals. Unfortunately, with this short-minded mentality that English is the only language in the world, we are lacking behind and we are failing our children in providing them with the tools to preparing them to assume roles in the global society they are inheriting. My children already speak three languages and I feel very proud of that!

• Spanish should be necessary

Yes, I think that Spanish should be a necessary language that is taught in public schools. Nowadays, many more people are speaking Spanish and being bilingual will help individuals get jobs at a global level. I think that learning Spanish will help to merge cultures, and cut down on animosity towards others.

• Because if kids go to mexico and they're speaking spanish then you can't uderstand it

Just do english is just boring and with spanish your fluency is way better then you used to. And when people talk spanish you can uderstand it way better sometimes english is way boring and when you learn spanish like uno or i need to to the bathroom as banyos.

• Spanish is educational and more!

American schools should teach Spanish language over Chinese language. To start, their are more Spanish people living in America than Chinese. Secondly is, Spanish is the second- most spoken language in America, of course America is the first. American is English. Thirdly is, if you are a parent or guardian and you have a kid to watch and love on in the next decade or so they will likely learn how to speak Spanish the parent should start learning how to speak Spanish. In addition, if you want a job that is a Spanish company you need to know how to speak Spanish in order to get that job. For kids and adults too, it is easy to learn, to speak, to read, and t pronounce the symbols in each and every word. Also, people have a way bigger and better chance of getting a job or getting into college.

• The boy jumps

Vgjabvpoe jijnvposdjf[pagj ihoiih ho hb h jjh iohgawihbvwokdvpow fj oj ow jpo fj oiwjv oi j fwj o j ofg j09 j d jnw cio jhehce jw -0f jkp wjhg 4u 90fu -c j w 9 jh 90eu f0 w if c jw e9 guf w94 u g 908wyu f9jc9j

• This isn't helping our students learn the stuff they need to.

If our students in america need to learn Spanish so them at they are able to communicate with their neighbor, that's just crazy. This country started speaking English and need to continue only learning about their natural home language. Why teach English if everyone is gonna switch to Spanish? Its just ignorant to think that my child will need to learn Spanish in school, when it was optional for me.

• Why Reduce Students' Choices?

I support students learning another language in addition to English; I do not agree with mandating Spanish.

Students should have the choice to learn whatever language they want, and it would wrong to limit their options. Perhaps a student dreams of working for Honda, and wishes to learn Japanese. What if a student has a fascination with European languages or Romance languages?

One must be cautious when suggesting mandates, especially when it reduces the choices students can make in regards to their education.

• No, because historically speaking the United States was never part of the Spanish Empire.

The USA was never part of Spain's Empire, we were part of the British Empire before declaring independence in 1776. And, we all know that Britain's main language is English. Therefore, from forced perspective, the language of the Motherland or Mother Country should be held to a higher standard period.

• Should Spanish Classes Be Mandatory In Elementary And Middle Schools?

Today I’m going to tell you my opinions are on Spanish being taught as a mandatory class in elementary and middle schools. I don’t support Spanish being a mandatory class. I do however think it should be mandatory to have a choice of languages we can learn such as German, French, Italian, and Spanish. I think that people should speak English since it was the original spoken language of the US. I also think that Spanish should not be mandatory because for someone to pass their citizenship test you are required to be able to fluently speak and write English. Lastly I think that Spanish should not be a mandatory class because since tech and programming jobs are a rapidly growing job market it should be taught as a mandatory class.

The majority population speaks English. While I do think Spanish is a largely used language should it be taught as an optional class and not forced upon students. English is the third largest spoken language in the world (right behind Spanish) but 80% of the US speaks English and only 12.4% are Spanish speakers. This evidence shows that a much larger portion of Americans speak English. Since we speak mostly English it seems very unnecessary to learn Spanish.

The US citizenship test requires you to speak English so if you are required to speak and write fluent English to become a citizen why are we taught mandatory Spanish. Kids in elementary school and especially middle school already have enough pressure as it is without having to worry about Spanish class.

Lastly I think that instead of mandatory Spanish classes there should be a mandatory class of programming. The reason it should be replaced with programming classes is because today programming is becoming a rapidly growing job and continues to grow faster and faster. Teaching programming gives students an advantage.

• No, Spanish should not be a mandatory course taught in public schools.

No, Spanish should not be mandatory to be taught to students in public schools. Spanish is no different from any other language. If Spanish is made mandatory, the teaching of every other language would be made mandatory as well. Making Spanish classes mandatory would also cause school districts to lose money that could have been used toward better programs.

• Why have to learn another language?

Kids already learned to speak when they were 2 or 3. Why struggle to learn a different language? My old school became a dual language school so I was forced to move to another. Students like me should have the choice what to learn. I disagree with this put statement.

• Spanish should not be a mandatory requirement in schools

I am currently a college student who has struggled to pass every Spanish class that I have taken. I took two years in High School and am now forced to repeat 101 and 102 in college because I simply cannot grasp the material.
    I understand how learning a second language is not only beneficial in certain careers and that speaking multiple languages make you more profitable to a company. However, I do not believe it should be a requirement for all students.
    Teachers and parents can press the importance of speaking a language besides English, but the student should be able to make the ultimate decision. If, for example, the student decides to take Spanish 101 but struggles to grasp all concepts, he or she should not be forced into taking another semester.
    I am forced to take a year for my major and I cannot express enough how difficult it is for me to make it through each class. I have thought multiple times about switching majors simply to avoid these classes - though this is an impossible feat since I am a senior. I have spent countless hours stressing and distressed over this 101 course.
    I should not be forced to undergo such difficulties and fear of ruining my GPA, and neither should other students who struggle as much as I do in this course.

• Any other language

Yes I feel that kids should be learning a second language but I feel that it does not have to be spanish. Just because we have lots of mexicans in the US and they cant speak english does not mean that we should have to learn spanish just to speak to them.

• Spanish as a mandatory language

Spanish, being the 2nd most spoken language in the world, is an extremely useful language. I think though, that students should be allowed to choose what foreign language they wish to learn, instead of one language being forcibly learned by students who would like to learn a different foreign language.

• Spanish ruined my education

I am a student who struggles to keep his grades up and when I find my self stuck having to study for a spanish test or doing spanish homework it takes away from my main studies one in particular is math I need to focus on more important things other than learning how to say my birthday in Spanish.