• Yes it is not a form of learning it is abuse.

All the child learns is fear and anger and that their parent has no coping skills to pass on to them. They too will be an angry fearful adult unable to cope when they grow up. There is Operant Conditioning which works fine. I never spanked my child once, he is fine, respectful and well rounded.

• Yes, spanking should be outlawed.

Spanking should be outlawed for a multitude of reasons.

1) Science has actually shown that people that were spanked as children have lower levels of intelligence than those who weren't. To be fair though, either could have caused the other.

2) Often times spanking goes beyond what is reasonable. As many parents see that spanking their child is perfectly legal, many of them go far beyond what is necessary in order to "discipline" their child.

3) Being abused or spanked as a child has often been linked to psychological disorders and if I remember correctly, higher incarceration rates among adults. Think about it. You're a small child and an adult, two to three times your size, grabs hold of you and continuously hits you. You're smaller than them and weaker than them. You're helpless. This person that you love has made you helpless and is, in essence, beating you. Do you really think such a thing wouldn't have psychological ramifications?

4) We have outlawed hitting EVERY other type of person. If you were to try to "discipline" ANYONE else by spanking them, it would be called assault. Why is it that children, the smallest, weakest, and more vulnerable of our society are not in this pool? It doesn't make much sense. As an adult, you should have the maturity to use your words, or other peaceful methods, to get your child to do what you want him or her to do. A civilized person doesn't need to resort to violence.

https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=WcO48w5Xcvo
    https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=JknekXaNLXA

• Abusive and Inconstructive

Spanking is an abusive form of discipline that has been shown to cause issues later on, and teaches children that violence is a legitimate means of solving a problem. Instead of teaching the child, it makes them afraid of their parents, respecting them only as physically superior, and not as learned people.

• This would criminalise many parents

I don't agree that spanking is a good way to discipline children and I think it should be strongly discouraged but if you outlaw it, it does criminalise parents. We may have many good parents in jail and unable to care for their children because they slip up in their discipline.

• Child abuse, yes. But spanking?

Absolutely not. I can't believe that people are still arguing over this. It's a consistently tried and true method of discipline for the majority of parents. Many young children are being fooled into thinking they're independent and can do whatever they want. Yelling doesn't really work anymore. He who spares the rod spoils the child. There is absolutely no seriously disputing that.

• Shocked at some younger kids today!

I don’t want to stereotype all younger kids but I seem to see so many children these days misbehaving, being rude and for some reason littering is a favourite past time! I got spanked as a child and it taught me a lesson. “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”

Posted by: rmj
  • It's a form of discipline that has been used for thousands of years

Spanking is a tried and true method that also purports stimuli conditioning.

It should NOT be outlawed because many parents use it effectively while only a minority abuse their children with it.

Why should something be outlawed when it is the fraction that needs to be addressed and not the whole pie?

• Should spanking be outlawed

Do you think spanking should be outlawed?Why or why not? I don't think that spanking should be outlawed it is not physical abuse some parents might need a form of physical discipline for their kids. Yelling at your kid doesn't always work. Not that many people spank their kids anymore. I don't think there is a need to ban it.