Should special education students be mainstreamed?

• It helps them succeed more

If the student has Autism, it could help them gain social skills. And for other special education kids, some of them are very smart and being held back by the special day class, either by low funding, lack of equipment, or another unidentified force. Anyways, I believe is is beneficial.

• Yes, but it is a case by case situation.

There are many types of special needs children and some disorders/cases are more mild or severe than others. Saying yes or no to all special needs students is not the answer. Mainstream teachers should be educated on how to deal with a wide variety of disorders and children with more severe cases should be given a separate education.

• I have done mainstreaming it works

Hello I am a college student who has dyslexia. It still is difficult to read and it does affect my writing but I have improved greatly mainstreaming. I have been mainstreaming all my life it is great I learned from other student meet friends and educated my whole grade about dyslexia. True I have faced bullies in my life because of this but I have grown to ignore this people. My sister on the other hand did not mainstreamed she also has dyslexia and struggles more with it. Also growing with just encouragement she does know how to handle bullies. Now I am not saying mainstreaming will work for everyone I feel I should be up to the parents, teachers, and the children whether they should mainstream. ( I am sorry for any spelling mistake I may have made)

• Just because they're special needs doesn't mean they can't interact well with or learn with other people.

Even though my mom was in special ed in high school most people can't tell. She had the chance to be in normal classes before high school so she learned how to interact with other people and react to situations. I also work part time as an assistant teacher in a pre-school and have worked with two special needs children. They may not always know how to communicate correctly with others, but they can still understand what goes on around them. If the situation is handled correctly the child can learn what to do to better handle it if it happens again. They can learn in a normal classroom environment if they are given a chance they may need a little more help, but it's not impossible for them to. It's also good for kids to be in a classroom with special needs kids so they can learn to interact with and understand them.

• Yes yes yes

They already have confidence issues with the fact that they are different than everyone else, having them being mainstreamed with regular kids to gain friends would boost their confidence. If you say that they disbehave, maybe its because you don't pay attention to them, and they need that so they rebel against you. Common sense people.

• Yes. If the disruptions are not so severe that it affects the progress of the class in general.

Some special needs are severe- some are not. If the child can even halfway keep up with their typical peers than why should they be denied the opportunity to try? Many cases of special needs improve greatly when they are able to see good examples of behavior and communication modeled by their peers. My son grows by leaps and bounds from being in a typical class environment with help from a para. Special needs people are everywhere and growing in numbers. They are a part of this world and most of the world wants to sweep them under the rug instead of helping them become more Independent.

• Acceptance, fairness, unconditional love

If we as humans have conviction in the values of fairness, acceptance & most important unconditional love and want to stand by these values there is no reason which can support excluding children with special needs from mainstreaming. We have no right to say that we are sensitive and respectful towards humans if we exclude them.

• I believe so. It helps them become better and stronger people

Yes, special need children should be mainstreamed because improves academically, socially, and improve their self esteem. They have a fair chance at getting a look into the real world. It helps them become socially active and helps build them for success. Mainstreaming them pushes them harder and drive them success, makes them feel confident.

• Better Chance At Success

I work with special education students once a week during one of my high school classes. These students get the help they need within their special little school, but once they outgrow that need for that certain type of learning, they need to be engaged in the real life of a real high school. Without these students coming into a normal school, they might never get the knowledge and/or teaching they need to be successful in life. Mainstreaming these kids once they get to the point where they need it, is the best thing you can possibly do to help them. They can't learn just the basics of what their special education teachers thinks is good for them. If they have the ability to branch out and grow, I don't see why anyone would want to stop that child from doing so.

• Fair Educational Opportunities

I am a high school special ed teacher who teaches in a self contained classroom. Our students graduate with a certificate of attendance rather than a diploma. It puts our students at a great disadvantage when trying to compete for jobs upon graduation from high school and going to college is pretty much out of the question. Although our students are allowed to participate in some career education programs it is optional for them to enroll in these courses and it is only provided in a one 90 minute block of time per day. We need more to help these students.

• Please Tell Me How!

I have a mainstreamed child in my 2nd grade class. 4 years in a special ed class and he still doesn't recognize the difference between a letter and a number, knows none of his sounds, he can count to 5 sometimes, but doesn't recognize numbers. He walks around my room breaking the other student's pencils, stealing their pencils, throwing the things on my desk away. Oh... And now I'm getting evaluated on the basis of whether or not the other 17 students are learning. Tell me how!

• Their rights are not more important than those of the normal children.

Mainstreaming is expensive and it slows down the general population of a classroom. Furthermore, the other students need their education more, since they are the ones who will be expected to actually work and bear the burden of supporting the disabled later on in life. Why spend 3X the money on educating someone who will never advance past grade school level at the expense of the potential of the rest of the class?

• Not usually the best choice.

Most children with special needs do much better in a self contained atmosphere. It is highly stressful for the student, teacher and peers to be mainstreamed. The traditional classroom setting is not conducive to meting the needs of most special needs children. This takes focus and time away from the teacher and other students. It can also be a distraction. This of course is dependent upon the actual needs and disability of the child in question. High functioning and non-behavioral difficult children can most definitely be mainstreamed. But those who require more care and attention should not be put in a position where it alters the regular flow of learning.

• Least restrictive environment laws.

The execution might be able to be improved, but I believe the laws regarding special education are good as they stand. Children are to be placed in the least restrictive environment they can tolerate and benefit from. For some children, this means mainstreaming, or partial mainstreaming; for others, they simply cannot deal with the stresses of normal society. Something like this cannot be mandated by some general law, but must be determined on a case-by-case basis.

• In many cases it benefits students to be mainstreamed but it should not be the case for all students..

Children with intellectual impairments have very different educational needs as compared to other students. Intellectually impaired kids need to learn basic life skills and need to be taught to do some sort of work. To have them struggling in a classroom so that they are with their peers will not benefit them in the future.

• No, special education students should not be mainstreamed

As suggested in the name, these students require special attention and have special needs. It also takes a certain trained professional to work with these students to get the most out of them and teach them at their pace. Not only would mainstreaming these students increase the difficulty of their learning, it would also deter the pace at which other students can be taught to allow the special students to keep up.

• Special education students require special assistance

While the idea of introducing special education students into a regular student environment may have noble intentions, it is not practical and in fact detrimental to both special and regular students. Special education students require special assistance. If introduced into a regular student environment they would likely not receive the same attention and special requirements for them would likely distract from the education of other students.

• Special Needs Students Only Harm Neurotypical Students

As someone who is quite kind and sympathetic towards people with special needs, I am sorry to say that they just do not belong in classrooms with neurotypical children. In first grade, a mainstreamed kid was placed in my class, thus putting everyone else behind because the teacher had to devote all of her time and energy towards this specific child. The entire class spent the whole year not really doing much, except for hearing this kid making weird noises... I was the only person who was remotely nice to this child as well, so I was placed next to him every time and was not allowed to socialize with my other peers. In middle school, there was a special needs program. Basically, all of the students with special needs were crammed into our already full school. Those who were immobile, severely mentally retarded, etc. were placed in this one teacher's room, where they would learn basic life skills. There were, sadly, some children who should have gone into that class that did not. One was quite aggressive and sexually harassed me almost every day, but did not get in trouble because of his special needs. Another one was in many of my classes, and was placed next to me continuously because of my kind demeanor. He constantly disrupted my learning by picking his nose, thwacking his fingers against his teeth, and making strange noises. Essentially, my schooling has been plagued by these mainstreamed kids. I firmly believe that these kids should have a special program, both for their well being and the well being of the other students who are not disabled.

• Mainstream benefits no one.

The child being mainstreamed into a regular ed classroom needs way more one on one time than the teacher can provide, given that there are 25 children in the class that also need attention.
    Conversely, the child being mainstreamed does require extra attention, thus taking the teacher's attention away from the others.
    In short, neither group of kids is getting what they need.

• Mainstream benefits no one.