Should standard prenatal care comprise more frequent visits to an obstetrician during the first two trimesters?

• Yes, there should be more frequent doctor visits in the first two trimesters of a pregancy

The first two trimesters of a pregnancy set the stage for the development of the child. If more problems are identified and handled during this time, many newborn problems could be lessened or eliminated, thus reducing the load on medical care facilities. I don't think there needs to be every other day appointments, but only seeing a doctor once a month or so is not always enough to catch problems in time to do something about them. The foundational health being built during this critical time will, many times, have far-reaching effects on the child that impact his or her whole life.

• She's not sick.

No, standard prenatal care should not comprise more frequent visits to an obstetrician during the first two semesters, because they already go to the doctor quite a lot when they are sick. Unless there is something unusual going on, a person who is pregnant is not sick, so there is no need for such frequent visits.

• Yes, prenatal care is important.

Standard prenatal care standards should of course mandate frequent visits to the ob in the first two trimesters of pregnancy because that sort of care is going to result in healthier mothers and babies. Anything that makes babies healthier is going to be better for our society in the long run.

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe standard prenatal care should include more frequent visits to an obstetrician during the first two trimesters. Doctors usually do a monthly check during these trimesters and I believe that is sufficient. Any more and the mother will probably begin to miss work and other activities to go to a basic check up for no good reason.

• No, I do not tink standard prenatal care should comprise more visits to an obstetrician during the first two trimesters.

I have a friend who had gone through this and her baby turned out to be just fine. I personally think that the standard practice of obstetricians right now is adequate to ensure that a baby is going to be healthy. I do not believe there needs to be any more visits during the first two trimesters.