Should state and local bar associations provide consumers better access to dispute resolution processes for attorney fees?

• Yes I do

The fees are not consistent with the service. They collect fees upfront and don't care about the results. And can use the courts improperly as their collection agency after they run up bills a client can't pay. Consumers have recourse against all other professions. Lawyers have a license to steal.

• State and local bar associations provide consumers better access to dispute resolution processes for attorney fees.

State and local bar associations provide consumers better access to dispute resolution processes for attorney fees. There are really no way to get back your attorney fees even if the attorney makes a mistake, which happens, and something goes wrong with your case. The best thing you can do is fire the attorney and hire a new one.

• Yes, I do.

I do think the state and local bar association should provide consumers better access in the resolution of attorney fees. This is a great idea, actually. It would stop people from being ripped off, and it would give lawyers a better reputation than they have right now. It looks good for the law as well.

• No They Shouldn't

I do not believe state and local bar associations should provide consumers better access to dispute resolution processes for attorney fees. Any time I have utilized an attorney they were always very clear about the charges being assessed and I myself was aware that the costs would be high. I honestly do not think attorneys are trying to be unfair, so it is unlikely that disputes are real, customers simply can't afford the services. If they can't afford the service then they shouldn't attempt to use it.

• That's not their fault, it's the consumer's fault.

I don't think that state or local bar associations should be on the hook for that kind of dispute resolution. Attorney fees are like any other professional service. You can figure out and negotiate the price before hand (within reason, of course). If you wander into an office and never inquire about rates, it's your fault.