Should statutory rape criminalize sexual activity between teens?

Asked by: Fanny
  • There is no reason a teen should be having sex.

Sex is for adults, not for teens. Teens shouldn't be having it, period. Teens are too young to understand and accept the full ramifications of having sex. There should definitely be law against it although we shouldn't jail teens we should bring them to an education class talking about the consequences of teen pregnancy (for boys and for girls). The parent should also be fined for not supervising their child and setting sufficient boundaries for them. The law is not a violation of teens' rights because teens have no business having sex and the law is not a violation of parents' rights because they should be setting sufficient boundaries and disciplining their children. Besides, avoiding getting hit by the law is easy, just don't have sex and parent your kids, it's simple.

I feel that we should criminalized any sexual activity between teens. There is a law about adults having sex with underage. It is logical to have the law applied to underage teens also. Since teens are under category "Child" meaning sex should be a crime for those who are underage. The main reason why there are still arguments about abolishing age of consent because of this reason. It is like it okay for underage to have sex but those who over 18 cant. The law needs to apply to all ages regardless they are over age or underage. If the law actually protect children then underage teen sex should be illegal. Otherwise Abolishing Age of Consent altogether is the way to go.

• Teens and sex don't go together

We already make it illegal for teenagers to smoke, drink, skip school, etc. Why not make it illegal for them to have sex? Just as with smoking and drinking, teens may not understand the consequences of premature sex, but since it is illegal it must be bad. And if they know they will face consequences for doing it, they will be less likely to do it, just as with shoplifting. Parents can be punished for allowing their child to skip school, throw a house party, etc and should be punished for knowingly permitting their CHILD to have sex. Some teenagers may break the law anyway, some people shoplift anyway, should we make it legal?

Posted by: Eera
  • Should these juveniles be forgiven ?

We always have though and condemn adults as evil,but the surprising fact comes out that children are most often sexually abused by someone they know and trust and 23 percent of reported cases of child sexual abuse are prepetrated by individual under the age of 18.Yes,i agree they should be charged.

• Juveniles aren't innocent

I do think that adolescence are little to no difference than adults.Rape is rape.And if anyone molesters or rape innocent child,they deserve to receive harsh punishment.Longo and Prescott indicate that juvenile commit approximately 30-60 % of all child sexual abuse.In 2008 youth under age 18 accounted for 16.7 % of forcible rape.

• Is this a joke ?

Seriously guys,i think having sex with minor under age of consent should always remain illegal.That's why we have age of consent laws so that to prevent sexual abuse from adolescene and adults.If a 16 years old boy rape a 9 years old girl,shouldn't he be charged for rape?I think it should.

• I agree with ghostrecon in some instance but i i think abolish age of consent is way much better than lowering it.

Lowering age of consent would be a path way to make sexual privacy freedom more liberal which it's actually good but abolish age of consent is much better.I say this because we should not underestimate young age as incapable of consenting to sexual relationship.Some people when they were young can be highly intelligent while majority of people seems to overlook it because they only based their judgment on the age alone. I am now 13 years old and i took intelligent performance test.My IQ was as high as 130.I also already have an boyfriend of my own.

• And idiotic question

No one should be exempt from statutory rape charge because people under age of consent by law clearly stated that they cannot legally give informed consent to sex ,so if we have an age restriction on sexual relationship between adult and teens why don't we applied it to the same with relationship between two young teens.In my opinion statutory rape law should either be changed or abolish because there is no accurate age where you could dictate that all children are mature at that age,children are mature vary differently , comparable as same as you said not all elderly when they become older have dementia disease but some have therefore we cannot say all elderly are mentally incompetent.Children should be handle equally like an adult in case where they have legal right to be allowed to make decision and consent to sex.I recommend age of consent to be lowered to 13 or 14,if age of consent can't be reduce.Then abolish it.

• Yes i fully agree

I born in phillipine,and over there juvenile is being threat equal as adults.When they are 14 years old and commit crime,they are being tried as an adult.So if annyone have sex with under child of 12,they either receive death sentence or life in prison.I fully agree with this question.Yes they.

• Should be illegal but just don't call it "statutory rape"

Unless the age difference is extreme it shouldn't be called statutory rape. People underaged having sex with each other is more like smoking cigarettes when you're under 18 than it is like a predatory adult taking advantage of a minor. They should at most pay a fine, maybe have to take some educational course. But no jail time, and certainly no sex offender registration. There should also be some buffer in cases where people are close in age but one is above the age of consent, reducing the crime to "aiding and abetting juvenile delinquency" rather than statutory rape and leaving "statutory rape" to apply to adults significantly older than the victim.

• No it should not.

The age of consent exists because 12-15 year olds are assumed to be too immature to understand what they are getting themselves into by having sex. If that's the case, why are we punishing them for something they don't realize what they are doing? How does that make sense?

Statutory rape laws are an attempt to solve an extremely complex problem with an extremely arbitrary one-size-fits-all simple solution. It fails to take into account relative maturity levels.

• Most of the time, no.

Unless it is an extreme age difference, like a 19 year old with a 14 year old, there is no reason to criminalize sex. If you criminalize it, it makes teens want to do it more, and if your making it illegal, then you cannot educate teens on safe sex. This will lead to more STD's and teen pregnancies. Just look at states with abstinence only sex ed - more STD's, more teen pregnancy, and less safe sex.

• Mind Your Business

Teens have been having sex since the beginning of time. There is nothing wrong with it. In fact it's very normal and natural for them to want to have sex and do it. As long as they protect themselves (and the girl is on some type of birth control) who cares? It's bad enough we have 18 year olds being charged with statutory rape for having sex with a 15 year old, now people don't want teens the same age to have sex with each other??? Good grief!

• Sexual activity is natural

Humans, like all animals, are built to reproduce as soon as they can. That is why teens are interested in sex, because we evolved that way. There is no reason to be against it other than stupid unnatural religious arguments. Of course don't take my argument as being anti-homosexual as it most certainly isn't. People are built to reproduce but in most races some creatures don't because they like the same gender. But I'm getting off topic. Statuatory rape is so 50 year old men don't rape 8 year old girls, not to prevent little girls from having sex. As soon as you have sexually matured you should be allowed to have sex so the person for it saying that teens shouldn't have sex is wrong, because we sexually mature as teens.

• No, Not Generally

If two 16 year olds are having sex, it is a parental failure, not not a legal issue. However, a 17 year old is sleeping with a 13 year old should be illegal. In my opinion, teenage sexual activity should first be considered a parenting issue, not a legal issue.

• How is this any of your business?

It is nobody's business (other than the teen's having sex) to decide whether two teens should have sex or not! The only thing we should be focusing on is educating teens about the (not necessarily negative) consequences of sex, and how to protect themselves against STIs/STDs. If two teens feel like they are ready to have sex then good for them. Sex is normal and human and people should be able to do it whenever they want and with whoever they want—unless of course both/all parties don't want to be having the sex, in which case others can intervene. There's a reason why in some states (i.E. California) anyone can get confidential consultations/help about their PRIVATE sex lives without parental consent. (The reason is that it's not your business to even be talking about this.)

• This is ridiculous. I cannot believe my eyes.

I am a teenager and me and my girlfriend do what we do in private and that is OUR business. You can think what you'd like but no law will ever stop BASIC HUMAN BEHAVIOR. Who in their right mind would convict someone of rape due to their age solely?! I can't wait to read the arguments for the yes side of this.

• We are all human. While sexual activity outside of marriage is wrong, we are all human

Being human, we do have a basic drive for reproduction. While statutory rape is wrong, should it be criminalized. Perhaps, but it all depends on motivation and the people involved. Not on societies opinion. A judge should determine if law was broken. Appropriate punishments or education should then be offered.

• Its stupid to depict maturity, age is only but a number

Someone could be 15 acting 20 some and you treat them like they are 10. They have a right to have sex with whom ever they wish. The government shouldn't tell us what we can or cant do. Its our lives not there's let us mess it up if we wish. Yes I understand if its a 30 year old trying to get with a 16 year old but if its 25 or less going with a 16 year old let them. We have the right to our own lives, so we have our own choices!