Should Store say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"

Asked by: Anaaa
  • I think that individuals should be aloud to say what they wish but happy holidays is more inclusive.

I do not think that any company should be able to stop anyone from saying merry christmas and I don't think any company has tried to stop any individuals from doing so however I also like seeing more companies using happy holidays as there are lots of holidays around december so from a marketing stance it just makes sense. I used to live in a town with lots of different religions including Sikh's and Jehovah's Witnesses who do not celebrate christmas so I always said Happy Holidays to all of our customers that didn't say merry christmas first as I never knew who celebrated what. Of course if they said merry christmas then I would happily say it back. I don't know why but it really got under my co workers skin, anytime she heard me say happy holidays she yelled MERRY CHRISTMAS! That made me a bit uncomfortable so my thought has always been let people say what they are comfortable with but as a company that wants to market to many types of people happy holidays seems perfectly acceptable in commercials and signs not to be enforced to their employees greetings.

• Yes and No

No, they should not be forced to. However, it would be completely ludicrous to think that saying Happy Holidays to someone instead of Merry Christmas is oppressing Christianity. There are two ways to be inclusive to everyone: Either say "Happy Holidays" which includes any religion or not say anything at all. Those are the two ways to be inclusive. If you don't say anything about holidays at all, that would be inclusive because you're not showing specific bias toward and one religion. If you say Happy Holidays (which is an umbrella term lumping all religions together) you would be including every religion out there. Stores should not be forced to say Happy Holidays, although people should stop getting so fucking pissed off when stores do.

• We must respect the time as opposed to the individual religion in order to ensure inclusivity.

Happy Holidays is a more inclusive term that recognizes a time instead of a specific religion. Saying Merry Christmas is favoring Christianity over the other religions represented. Diversity and acceptance of such is the very ground upon which the United States was founded. To nationally place one religion on a pedestal is against the very fabric of our being. We are a beautiful tapestry made of fabric of every color and kind, a trait we must cherish and nurture. Recognizing a time as opposed to a religion is a way of nurturing the feeling of inclusivity, the life blood of the United States.

• I believe that stores should portray "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays".

The issue of political correctness is a big one in the USA today. I believe it is political correctness that prefers Happy Holidays to the more traditional Merry Christmas. The war on Christmas is a real thing. Left politics has a deep dislike for Christianity which I believe is one of the reasons why it favours this motion. The left also goes to unreasonable lengths to make sure that absolutely NO ONE is offended by any thing. This seems quite nice from the outsidehowever we have seen this lead to all sorts of bad things happening from the closing down of Halloween rides to the ridicule of a pizzeria by the media for refusing to serve a gay couple because it was against their religious beliefs. Political correctness is one of the great cancers of society. It cencors opinions that differ to their own.

My supporting argument:

1) Christmas is a Christian celebration of the birth of Christ.
    2) Since it is a Christian holiday "Merry Christmas" is not only more descriptive of the holiday but also should be used as it shows a certain devotion to Christ.
    3) Therefore Merry Christmas should be said instead of Happy Holidays.

Defenders of premises:

1) Premise 1) is obviously true and I don't expect it to be disputed.
    2) I believe that since Christmas is a celebration of Christ the term Merrry Christmas is obviously more descriptive and,in a sense, an expression of the true purpose of Christmas. I also think it is quite interesting that no one would object to saying Happy Ramadan during Ramadan. Why then she we object to Merry Christmas being used.

• Freedom to speak my mind

Ever heard of it? People can and should be able to say whatever they please, without the fear of regulation. Saying anyone "should" do anything implies that it would be enforced. I do not care if it is more inclusive to say anything. If I choose to say a certain thing AND if that thing is "Merry Christmas" and you happen to get offended. I have a little advice for you. Grow a pair and understand that not everything will be fitted to your perfect little reality.

• Freedom of speech

• Christmas is mainstream.

The idea that somehow mentioning Christmas (the most mainstream holiday ever) is oppression of religious or irreligious minorities is absurd. I'm not against people saying "happy holidays" as they please, but as a deist and formerly a Christian and Atheist, I do not consider it oppressive at all for someone to wish me a merry Christmas. Christmas has become more about gifts and spending time with family to dine in luxury as opposed to gathering around a table or going to church and loving God. It has no immediate religious implications other than the fact that you cannot spell Christmas without Christ.

Happy holidays just makes things broad and less sentimental, since society has dubbed it mandatory. It feels more sincere and genuine to just say "merry Christmas" -- to me, at least.