Should students be able to bring their backpacks from class to class?

• Its quite pointless

Kids shouldn't be required to use a dinky little binder to carry their stuff around. How absolutely idiotic is that?! A backpack won't "clutter" the classroom. Duh. We keep them under our desks. Obviously the schools just want to have us drop our crap on the ground when an idiot runs into us. So allow us to have bags!!!!

• Why do we wear backpacks to school?

We wear backpacks to school and on the bus(High School) to keep everything nice and tidy and make sure that everything is not only organized, but also safe. Now, we get into the school building. Now we have to strip ourselves of the luxury of the backpack so we can carry our supplies around by hand. How does this make any sense? What does this accomplish? Even if you do have a close locker to most of your classes, and your locker never jams, it would still be a lot quicker to use backpacks. Also, for me, my locker is extremely far away and has a really old, rusty kind of lock attached to it, the kind from the old black and white movies. I have to go there and drop off my backpack, get together the required supplies, then go off to the other side of the building for my class, which I'm probably already late to, then back again for lunch which I am usually late for the class afterwards, and then at the end of the day, I would probably miss the bus if I hadn't had everything inside a nice and tidy backpack, which, after all, is what they are made for in the first place! Like I have previously read on this website, it wouldn't take up any room because it would be underneath the desk or next to the desk where it wouldn't get in the way, if you had a convenient seating arrangement. All things considered, there really are no negatives that are strictly concerning backpacks. The whole "safety" thing with shootings and everything would probably happen anyway, they would just put their weapon in there locker or something. Backpacks are more secure, safer to others and yourselves, easier and way more convenient, allow students to get to class on time, which is highly educational and improves student learning, and is just great in all ways, so the question must be asked: Why can't we just bring our backpacks to class. A locker is like a really bulky and stationary and inconveniently awkward backpack, with a weird space arrangement and no portability. And my school is also issuing chromebooks, little laptop type devices to help with our learning, that costs hundreds of dollars to get repaired, although it has a lot less likely chance of being broken in the first place if it's nice and snug in a backpack. This argument is just rofl. The choice is obvious and clear, so why does the school have such a big problem with it? IT'S ENDANGERING THE LIVES OF THE STUDENTS! OMG! Seriously? Nothing is going to happen. "What if a student uses his backpack, full of supplies, as a WEAPON?" - What if he just used his pencil/pen as a weapon, or, if he was strong enough to lift a heavy backpack, how about a less padded and lighter instrument called the desk? Backpacks do not pose additional threats. Pencils are more dangerous. Seriously.

• This Makes 0 Sense

As a current middle schooler, I find this new trend in school to be The most absurd... I already purchased a nice 50 dollar book bag and its just such a waste. We all carry around many books and notebooks in our book bag alone and to HAVE to hold it all is even worse. What if other peers find it funny to push and shove people with their hands full?! And what if our new lockers are far away from Certain classes? WE WILL LITERALY HAVE ALL OF THIS CLUTTER ON ARE ALREADY-TOO-SMALL desk. I mean, I understand precautions and such but this is just taking things way too far.

• Yes we should.

It is almost impossible to go from one class to another, use the restroom and other things in 5 minutes. I can just feel the pain that having 2 binders, my math books, and other supplies caused me. It would also make going from one class to another a breeze.

• Yes they should

I think they should because the older you get the more homework the teachers will assign. A lot of times students hate going from class to class carrying their heavy object. Also sometimes students will be late for their classes only because their locker can be so far away when kids could not be late if they have their backpacks with them. Also what happens if their lockers get jammed well good thing they have their back packs so they don't have to worry about it.

• Backpacks are GOOD!!

In middle school, the work load kind of doubles. That also increases the books that we have to bring to class. My back kills from just waiting for the bus every day. I once weighed my backpack empty and it only weighed about 1 pound. With my average homework load, 24.8LBS!!

• We have too much to carry already

We should be able to carry backpacks because we as kids don't exactly want to have a hernia because of all the weight we carry. Us kids carry waaayyyy too much stuff so we indeed should be able to carry backpacks around school...Too much stuff not enough arms too heavy

• Kids should wear they're backpacks

Kids should wear backpacks because they are needed when teachers gives us when they hand out textbooks and we need them backpacks to hold our stuff in so we don't have to carry all that weight. I think that schools should allow them for my safety in case things get hard for others too.

• BackPacks are a great tool

Back packs are an essential tool for students to have in their every day school life. They avoid the use of time consuming lockers and pesky lock combinations that make students late to class. Over all i would say that having back packs in classrooms is a great idea and should be implemented every where.

• Yes we should

We should use backpacks cause it helps us store more things and it helps not to carry our books in our hands which is even worse trust me !!! So next u want to complain about backpacks think about other kids that have to hold 8 textbooks in there hand, for there next 4 classes ...

• A quality backpack, worn properly is essential to our children's back/spine health, and will NOT encourage concealed contraband or weapons.

My son's HS has a ridiculous policy that students can not carry backpacks during the day, but they ARE allowed to have a purse (the size of a school folder), or one of those ridiculous, impractical "draw-string" bags. Obviously the security concern is negated by allowing draw-string bags and purses. Couple that with the fact that students sometimes have to carry (at least) 1 heavy text book, 1 school issued notebook computer, 1 charger, 1 additional accessory like a bluetooth mouse, 1 paper notebook, 1 folder, supporting paper documents, syllabus, 1 pencil, 1 pen, sometimes a protractor, calculator, highlighter, eraser. Plus any personal items a student may require (tissues, feminine hygiene products, chap stick, etc) Just the computer and text book can weigh nearly 6 lbs by themselves. Stuffing 6 lbs of material into a drawstring bag, and hanging it over your shoulders by a thin piece of rope for 7 hours a day is just not practical / safe. Carrying it by hand is also not practical (it's 2014, we've evolved as a species to be able to design things like backpacks so we don't have to carry things in our arms)

For all the people claiming that backpacks support school violence/shootings - Please show me the data that supports this claim, otherwise you're coming to conclusion based on unsubstantiated, arbitrary information, and this is a horrible way to form an opinion. Stop pretending that our children are stupid, if they want to smuggle contraband or weapons into school, they will! They're industrious, ingenious, and capable. I like to think that our nations students are "smarter" than our nations prison population, and there's well documented evidence that prisoners smuggle in drugs/weapons DESPITE no backpacks (AND intensive security measures in place). So the security argument is pretty weak, uninspired, and lazy (it's easy to use that argument to "convince" large numbers of people very simply because it sounds reasonable without much additional thought).

7 hours a day + carrying around numerous, heavy, delicate items = potential for a miserable experience for our kids!

Backpacks = essential (especially at the higher grade levels)

• Wow Think people Think

This increases back problems, plush you guys don't think logically. Seriously it's a pain wearing backpacks on my back with 1000 tons pushing on your back might break your bones. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE THINK DON'T KILL YOUR CHILD wow. This is sad people are willing to tourcher their childs and animals for the

• Backpacks are bad

Backpacks are mean to me because of donkeys. They hurt me and bully me. Hopefully this opinion is anonymous because if the backpacks and donkeys see that I wrote it they would kill me. Literally kill me. V donkeys donkeys donkeys donkeys donkeys donkeys donkeys v donkeys donkeys donkeys donkeys v v v

• No no no

No kjdnfkrg xfkjdnklfndklg dkvjdrfmgd fdkgjmifsghmtgf dgfnkfnhbtyg bgfbfgbrgf fdgrbgfbfg fbgbg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g gg g g g g g g g fg g g g g no no no no no no no

• No the cause back pain

Personally i am a student i see my peers hunched over with backpacks twice there wait last year i counted in total 12 blisters on my arms and iv had a back breaking pain through have of last years summer bookbags are just stupid students can conseil drugs alcohol and weapons

• Yes we should

I am a student at garrard middle school we have lockers but the locks are old and hardley work and we are late to class me and many of my friends agree with me i would love to have a book bag know we could hide drugs in ook bg but we have dogs that come search the school often

• Backpacks should be removed from all elementary, middle school and high schools.

Girls carry purses most generally at all times on them, boys have wallets most generally at all times one them, most of all elementary students have one class home room, the middle school and high school students have lockers to use. The elementary students can have a folder sent home each day with notes, assignments, graded papers and or books needed to returned the next day to the home room teacher.

Back packs are an essential in school but a non essential to end gun violence in our children school. In the state of our country, they need to be 100% removed because there are alternatives and to many school shootings.

Kids can carry books, paper, pencils , purses, wallets, and use the lockers that the schools already provide. Most elementary schools don't change class rooms, so everything is left in a desk or if they do change class rooms the classes are pretty much directly across or besides on another to where they are not traveling far to even need a back pack.

I feel that everyone can do without backpacks to help end gun violence in our schools. The less people carry around on them, the less places a person will have to stash items that don't belong on any school property, to also include things that children are under age of. The schools, the teachers, the administration, and the buses for our children will be much safer.

• Students should not have backpacks!

Backpacks can carry guns, knives, or other weapons. Also, it will clog up hallways more because it will make the backpack longer causing people to take up more space. Finally, backpacks may be able to help with other needs such as carrying less weight, but it is not worth the risk to let people cry about it.

• Backpacks Are NOT Needed

Backpacks cause a lot of back problems and pain. Even though most students do not do drugs it is very possible for weapons or drugs to be hidden in them. On the other hand it is human nature to want something to carry your things in. But there are other options than backpacks, such as lockers to keep your stuff in or book bags with very limited pockets.

• They kill me

School already sucks why would i want to carry something that weighs tons. I already drag every day in school, probably because i get two hours a sleep at night. Anyways i don't feel like wanting to jump out of a window more than i already do, all day everyday.