Should students be able to listen to music in class?

• Much more music

Because they should be adle to listen to music because some people may say that music can calm the mind just as an example if you are stressed just put on your headphones and start listening to music without disturbing anyone and the music should be school appropriate like Katy perry

• Music helps concentrate and blocks out distractions.

No one should exclude music, if you don't like music in class, then just don't listen to the music, if it is in a speaker (which happens rarely) then you should just zone it out or deal with it, the only time music is bad is when someone takes it too far and starts dancing around the class room, and that NEVER happens. Music is just another form of art, ok? If you don't like listening to it in class, then just go and stop taking that class.

• I like music

I feel that music should be allowed for the students. Lets think back here for you adults and teachers and even other kids and teens who said no. How many times have you listened to music while you were driving or working or doing homework? Well if you think back when you were, you were more focused when you were listening to music. Yes it can be a distraction but only if you allow it to. When in classes when the teacher is talking, students shouldn't listen to their music, no, but when the teacher is done and homework is handed out you should be allowed to for the fact that it calms the body and focuses the mind. The music also reduces stress and that will help a student or even a parent while working and as for test students should listen to music for the fact that they don't become distracted by the clock and how much time is left they are focused on their work. Music gets the body moving it can energize us if we can get really into it.

• Music is good for you.

I think we should listen to music in school, just not during class. Just before school, after school, recess and lunch. There will be no life without music. Music helps people dream to be what they want to be. Like a singer, songwriter, and beat-boxer. Some songs are bad, with swearing words, which we're not going to learn, but that's all I have to say.

• Music Is The Word

When kids are in class they are usually distracted by someone asking a question or someone knocking on the door. Music is their background noise. It's best if they listen to their own music because they can relate to it. It helps them relax and boosts their focus and their productivity.

• Yes music in class

I think we should be allowed to listen to music in class because it lets us concentrate in class and we won't get distracted while we do our work. We will also be able to pass our tests easily and not struggle to finish in time for lunch or something!

• Music helps concentrate in class.

I think music will help students concentrate in class and it helps me learn better and do my homework better, so why not listen to music? It will help a lot. I think they should make a rule to let students listen to music in class and Andrew is stupid.

• Think a little on this.

I feel that music should be allowed for the students. Lets think back here for you adults and teachers and even other kids and teens who said no. How many times have you listened to music while you were driving or working or doing homework? Well if you think back when you were, you were more focused when you were listening to music. Yes it can be a distraction but only if you allow it to. When in classes when the teacher is talking, students shouldn't listen to their music, no, but when the teacher is done and homework is handed out you should be allowed to for the fact that it calms the body and focuses the mind. The music also reduces stress and that will help a student or even a parent while working and as for test students should listen to music for the fact that they don't become distracted by the clock and how much time is left they are focused on their work. Music gets the body moving it can energize us if we can get really into it . I find that it;s harder to study when there is no noise or the shuffling of papers from students who are studying as well and if you say students will be anti social then why tell then no talking in class? It also pulls kids out of their group of friends and helps with socializing and if this isn't true why hold school dances? Teachers fear we decide that we will plug our headphones in and ignore then well you wonder why, it's probably because your way of teaching is confusing or boring. You've got to make it interesting to the student. Who wants to listen to a boring lecture? If you make it interesting then yeah we will listen. Another thing is if we get distracted by music. Well what do you think other things in the class are? Anything can become a distraction if you think about it.

• Music is helpful during school.

Music during school helps block out other noises and keeps you from talking your friends! You would also stay on track. You probably wouldn't be in trouble either, cause you would be on task! Well, what do you think? Would you listen to music in class or not? I think you should! Thank you.

• Dead silence is distracting

For some students[like me]. A quiet background can be distraction. I have ADD and with a silent background. My mind tends to wander and I dont finish the work, but with music, it actually helps me to pay attention to the work. Music puts me in a good mood and I believe people work better when they are in a good mood

• No, give them an inch and they take a mile

Students are at school to learn, not sort out their play lists. Once you allow children to listen to music once, they then seem to think it is their right, and every lesson then starts with a negative because the teacher has to explain why the students cant listen to music immediately.

• Creating anti-social behavior

Allowing students to listen to music (headphones) leaves social interaction to go begging. Music consumes an individual, and would certainly do some during class time. While music may help students to learn, ultimately it takes away the opportunity to converse and support other students during class activity time.

If Music is on speakers then it can cause angst from members of the class who dislike certain types of genres. It is difficult to choose music that would be favored by all

• No to Music in class

I think you shouldn't be able to play music in class because it can distract your learning and can damage your hearing. If you listen to music in class, it might also distract other classmates during their learning experience. It can also distract you from learning, which can result in skipping a grade.

• You cannot serve two masters; listening to music in class is a distraction.

When one is in class they should be focusing on what the teacher is saying, not listening to music. A student may be listening to their "cool" music, the chances of the student grasping something is likely to be zero. There will be a time and place to listen to music, but not class.

• Class time should be so filled with constructive activity that music would be a distraction.

No, students should save music-listening for times out of the classroom. An effective teacher will be so engaging and energetic and provide so much constructive activity for the students that there would be no room for music-listening. Some students might argue music helps them learn better, but an individual would do well to adapt and learn how to learn without it.

• Productivity vs. Comprehension

Listening to music does improve productivity...But not comprehension. There is scientific research behind this. Look it up. This is really all that needs to be said. If I didn't have to type 50 words in here, I would leave it at that. I am a teacher myself. Thank you.

• No kids music

No kids music I don't think that kids should listen to music in class, because it could be distracting to not only them but the people around them and maybe even the teacher. By the way if they are listening to music while the teacher is talking they will miss what the teacher said and than be a distraction even more to the people around them by asking them what the assignment was.

• No they shouldn't

I don't think kids should be able to listen to music because it will be a distraction and then the kids won't listen to what the teacher has to say. Also the kind of music they listen to may not be appropriate for school. Also there are kids that can't afford iPods to bring to class.

• They Should Not Be Allowed To

Students should not be allowed to listen to music in the classroom. Their full attention should be on the lecture and what is going on in the class. Music being played in class can be a distraction to other students as well. It's just not a good idea to allow this.

• No way!

Maybe during center time the students should be able to listen to educational tracks, but that's about it. There is no need for students to ever be able to listen to their own music. School is there for students to learn; the educational system is already on a downward spiral, incorporating music during classtime will make things much worse.

Anonymous says2013-04-02T16:43:44.643
I listen to music-in lunch and at times when people are talking too loud for me to concentrate. Not all students say whatever and continue listening to music. I take my headphones out when I get to my next class.Anonymous replied to Anonymous's opinion March 24 2013 02:26 AMI would rather not socialize with people. Supporting other students isn't what I call an idea of fu. Also, it's annoying when they constantly talk as the teacher is talking. Music drowns out their annoying voices.Anonymous replied to Anonymous's opinion March 21 2013 08:03 AMmusic helps soothes the brain cells also. And my name is Andrew... Awkward Anonymous replied to Anonymous's opinion March 18 2013 10:34 AMBeing Anti - Social is a choice that music will endorse and that is not a bad thing. Half the time in a classroom the teacher is shouting at the students to stop talking. With music not starting this in the first place this would be more a blessing than a curse.Anonymous replied to Anonymous's opinion March 13 2013 01:53 PMwho wrote that quote but thats a great quote
Anonymous says2013-05-22T18:24:57.353
We should listen to music in class cause it will help us focus and we maybe pass every dang test