Should students be allowed to call their teachers by their first name?

• They aren't better than us

Teachers have no right to control us, and do not deserve to have a title as such. Teachers should be familiar with students, not in control. Calling a teacher by their last name means that they are a higher power, that they control the student. Also, calling a teacher by their first name implies that the teacher and student are at the same level of power, and have no more or less power. Teachers should be friends, not bosses, and calling them by their first name implies such.

• Your mom sucks

Jghlfdhgldfjghfghsguhfgihsughuythghtuerh;ugthrgo;uiyyystuopihfghfhgghjghghjg sjdfghjfhgj jhfjkgh fd f f g g d d s s s s f g g g g g g g g g g f d d s g gh h dgh gfd g hj g d h j d j g g h j j f f s

• Puppy monkey baby

A a a a a a a anasdf df c cd d d d dd dd d d dd d d d d d d d d7 d6 5 d 4 3f2dd 7d dd65d4 3d dd8 7d6 d d 7 d yd t dd d dd d de g dy der wd32 dtr654er

• It's just like talking to your friend

Why can't students call teachers by their first name, students are aloud to call their friends by their first name. I mean we are both human beings aren't we? Any one you meet you call by their first names. Using the first names seems more respectful and like your acctually in front of their life and soul to talk to them.

• First name basis shouldn't be a big deal

I don't think you should call anyone by their last name at all, unless it's what they like to be called. There's no reason to call someone by their last name and you can show respect in different ways. I've never called any of my teachers by their last name or any other adult. It's just stupid and people should use their given name.

• People should be allowed.

It gives you a clearer version of that person's name since you are not constantly preventing yourself of saying their name. You should always get a close relationship with someone you spend 180 days of your life with. No need to restrict yourself on what name you choose to call them.

• If you respect the children they will respect you back, no matter what they are allowed to call you.

I am a primary teacher. One of the 6 different schools I have taught in has had a first name policy and I found it a wholly positive thing. It definitely lowered the barrier between staff and families and helped create a warm close relationship between pupils and their teachers. Pupils were more relaxed and made better progress.

• Is undermines the student.

By calling a teacher Mr or Mrs is unneeded because they did not work for that title. If they have a PhD they are Dr, but they're only Mr because all they could amount to was being a grown man with 2 kids teaching why it should be whom not who. Our parents tax dollars are the only reason they get payed so of we don't go to school they're out of a job. If anything they should show us respect instead of trying to make us feel little or that we have no power.

• Respect me for who I am as a human, not what my title is.

The following largely applies to high school. Respect should come from our inherent admiration and appreciation of or inspiration by those that teach us - not from a place of authoritarian say-so. Demanding respect from someone because it is felt that a position alone entitles such is archaic. Its hierarchical and it creates and programs passive learners and passive citizens. Learners that do not question what they are told, and as a result citizens that struggle to challenge or want to challenge the status quo - no matter how dire.

Respect should be owed to each other from the basis that we are human, not that we have rank or social standing above someone else.

• Yes We Should Be able to

Teachers are no higher than a student.Teachers have shit jobs and dont deserve respect. You pay for them to teach you. Its what the wanted to be so they get what they get. If they wanted to feel higher they should have worked at a college where if a student wants to be in that career they will show respect so they dont fail the class.

• No They Should Not

Using someone's given name assumes a particular level of familiarity, whereas using an honorific such as Mr, Ms, or Dr, denotes recognition and respect of the individuals higher status, at least in their particular field. Not only would allowing students to use their first names erode the respect we as a society should be giving to teachers, but (especially in middle and high schools) it would undermine the authority teachers must have over their students in order to maintain order.

• They should definitely not

Especially in elementary and secondary schools, a teacher isn't supposed to be your friend, they're supposed to be someone you look up to and respect. The teacher is there to educate your children and inspire them to be their best. If the children feel they are equal with their teacher, how is a teacher supposed to control an out of hand classroom? Teachers aren't "better" than the student, but the students should know who's in charge. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

• No they should't

Students should not be allowed to call their teachers by their first name. First of all that is really disrespectful and secondly they are youth, only adults should be allowed to call other adults by their first name or else it is going to become really weird for the teacher.

• Polite, Respectable and Authority

Simple Q. How do you address your loving parents? Is it by their first name? How do you address a priest? Is it by their first name? What about police officer who stopped you for violation? Definitely not with their first name. 'What did I do wrong, Jack?' I rest my case.

• Polite, Respectable and Authority

• A Hierarchy of Glass: My View as a Student

As a bit of an Anarchist, I dislike hierarchies. Even so, the fact is that professors and teachers have power over the students they teach. The erasure of titles may seem admirably Anarchistic in name; however, the existing power structure, while less visible, still remains.

With first-name-level familiarity, a student may grow to trust a professor as an equal, and the professor might not realize the sheer amount of power in his/her/their hands. In such a culture, boundaries may be crossed long before being recognized; yet, the harm is not lessened by the lack of recognition.

So, when my professor asks to be called "Brian" and I still call him "Dr. Von Schmetterling," I am not saying "I bow to your power and authority," but rather "Please respect my lack of power, and use your authority wisely."

As a bit of an Anarchist, I dislike hierarchies. Even so, the fact is that professors and teachers have power over the students they teach. The erasure of titles may seem admirably Anarchistic in name; however, the existing power structure, while less visible, still remains. In a world of familiarity, a student may grow to trust a professor as an equal, and the professor might not recognize the power in his/her/their hands. In such a culture, boundaries may be crossed long before being recognized; yet, they still cause the same amount of harm.

So, when my professor asks to be called "Billy" and I still call him "Dr. Crystal," I am not saying "I bow to your power and authority," but rather "Please respect my lack of power, and use your authority wisely".

• Of course Not! Because it shows a big lack of respect and it is extremely rude.

For example, if you're a student talking to Ms Hopwood, you'd be saying Ms Hopwood you wouldn't be saying Diana, for example, if you're a student talking to Ms Costa, you'd be saying Ms Costa you wouldn't be saying Daniella; for example, if you're a student talking to me you'd be saying Mrs McCallister or Mrs Pheellann, you wouldn't be saying Katherine.

• Of course not! Calling teachers by their first names shows a big lack of respect, it is quite disrespectful and extremely rude!

For example, if you're a student talking to Ms Hopwood, you'd be saying Ms Hopwood you wouldn't be saying Diana, for example, if you're a student talking to Ms Costa, you'd be saying Ms Costa you wouldn't be saying Daniella; for example if you're a student talking to me, you'd be saying Mrs McCallister or Mrs Pheellann, you wouldn't be saying Katherine.

• Your mom sucks

A a a ab ab a a a a a a sa djif sduiop fh isuad fhi sdh ui h iu h iohj u b hoegfubjt5j gl;6yl; khpu7kopnhjk7op ykhpo ky6p gk p5k po gk 56p khyopkop k op bk p k yghopk7 op jkop76 ku opkgop 6k op gkopkop gf