Should students be allowed to call their teachers by their first name?

• Say Yes To Yes

It promotes a strong academic connection between students and teachers. The tradition of calling teachers by Mr./Mrs. Is an old tradition, when the classroom setting involved listening to a master-like teacher, giving information to students and letting them recite said information. However, today's society involves collaborative work, including between students and teachers. By addressing teachers in a more familiar manner, the student bridges the gap in student-teacher connections, and may ask the teacher for more help or information about class activities, instead of keeping a distance from the teacher. This benefits both sides, as the student is able to receive necessary information, and the teacher can receive feedback from the class.
    While it may seem "weird" and unprofessional", calling a teacher by their first name versus calling a teacher by their last name shows no difference in respect besides what society accepts as "respectful" and "the norm". Addressing teachers in a more familiar way allows students to communicate more often and more openly, which gives benefits to both students and teachers.

• It is appropriate to call your teachers by their first name.

I think that it is appropriate for you to call your teachers by their first name. You need to be called by the name that your parents gave you not your last name. Your first name comes first, your last name comes last. You sometimes barley know your teachers so why do you even have to call them by their last name.

• It promotes a strong academic connection between students and teachers.

The tradition of calling teachers by Mr./Mrs. Is an old tradition, when the classroom setting involved listening to a master-like teacher, giving information to students and letting them recite said information. However, today's society involves collaborative work, including between students and teachers. By addressing teachers in a more familiar manner, the student bridges the gap in student-teacher connections, and may ask the teacher for more help or information about class activities, instead of keeping a distance from the teacher. This benefits both sides, as the student is able to receive necessary information, and the teacher can receive feedback from the class.

• Of course we should

Honestly, its really not that complicated. Some teachers just don't like their last name so sometimes they tell us to call him/her by a letter and that, i think is very saddening. They should be called whatever the teacher prefers to be called. It doesn't really matter. It's just a name ANYWAYS.

• It's mature and is acceptable.

I do believe that it's appropriate to call your teacher by their first name. It's proper and more mature. Titles are titles and don't mean much. If you are talking to someone, you address them by their name. Most of my teachers in my high school allow you to call them by their first or last name.

• It's mature and is acceptable.

• I believe they should

Kids should be able to call teachers by there first names because if you call a teacher by there first name they usually see that as disrespect but really your calling them by there independent first name instead of the last name they "inherited". I mean students usually learn more if they have some sort relationship with the teacher, therefore they wouldn't see them as a boss they would see them as a friend of some sort teaching them valuable lessons

• It shows respect

Teachers have always been called by their last names. Teachers used to be highly respected. And it is falling fast. This generation not all but a lot of people have lost respect cussing at them or even the simple back talking shouldn't be done in a disrespectful way. So we need to respect them after all they do a very hard job for low pay just to help us succeed. This is why we need to call them by their last name

• It Depends on the Teaher

If the teacher allows it or even encourages it, then you should be able to! It isn't disrespectful-- in fact, I would argue that you would feel closer to the teacher. Like a friend, instead of a superior. Again, if the teacher says, "Call me Mrs or Mr (insert last name here)," then you should call them that. But if the teacher just wants to be called by something different, then you should be able to! It all depends on the teacher!

• Equality is Key

Everyone is equal in our world and no one is above another person. Therefore we should be allowed to call our teachers by their first name because it creates a more friendly and inviting atmosphere which does not undermine social status, financial status or class. It may be considered weird at first but I think that people would get used to it after a while. I feel that calling pupils by their first name when teachers EXPECT to be called Mr/Mrs/Miss etc is not only unfair but is highly hypocritical. As a student myself, I would prefer to be addressed with a title if I am forced to use a title for the teacher. Why shouldn't I have the right to that? If they want a little respect and to be called that, then I want that little respect too in the working environment because we are all equal and we all deserve respect. What our current situation is depicting to the younger generation like myself is that it is alright for people to be deemed more important than others. Age is simply just a number and academic achievement is simply an achievement. It does not make you special in any way whatsoever. Equality is key.

• No They Should Not

Using someone's given name assumes a particular level of familiarity, whereas using an honorific such as Mr, Ms, or Dr, denotes recognition and respect of the individuals higher status, at least in their particular field. Not only would allowing students to use their first names erode the respect we as a society should be giving to teachers, but (especially in middle and high schools) it would undermine the authority teachers must have over their students in order to maintain order.

• They should definitely not

Especially in elementary and secondary schools, a teacher isn't supposed to be your friend, they're supposed to be someone you look up to and respect. The teacher is there to educate your children and inspire them to be their best. If the children feel they are equal with their teacher, how is a teacher supposed to control an out of hand classroom? Teachers aren't "better" than the student, but the students should know who's in charge. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

• No they should't

Students should not be allowed to call their teachers by their first name. First of all that is really disrespectful and secondly they are youth, only adults should be allowed to call other adults by their first name or else it is going to become really weird for the teacher.

• Why Should We?

It can be very weird, it will be a strange thing to do for the student. The teacher may be very confused if there is another lets say Alex in the room. Very, very disrespectful to the teacher who is teaching. You aren't her/his friend, he/she is your tutor. C:

• It’s very rude and annoying

I think it’s probably a little bit rude to call your teacher by your first name. It would actually be an informal way of addressing your teacher. We need to treat them formally, as if they’re your professional. It’s a sign of respect. For example, Collen Millslagle is my reading teacher, she allows me to call her Ms. Collen, because her last name is difficult to pronounce.

• It’s very rude and annoying

• Never never never

Calling a teacher by his/hers first name creates a conflict of interest. Being on a first name basis implies familiarity, a personal relationship. That is a spark for trouble, fuel for misunderstandings. Implies an expectation of personal attention, preferential treatment. I worked at a school where this was the trend and the students discipline was a mess.

• Inappropriate and Disrespectful

Calling teachers by their first names is not only inappropriate, but also disrespectful. Their should be a professional barrier between a teacher and their student and by having students call their teachers by their first names breaks that barrier. Teachers do need to connect with their students, but in an appropriate way.

• Inappropriate and Disrespectful

• Weird and disrespectful

Weird and disrespectful, especially in the environment where students don't know their boundaries. May be suitable for sixth from students as they are mature and began to understand the concepts of society, children should not allowed that. This has to be a culture and it should be on a school level.