Should students be allowed to call their teachers by their first name?

• It is adultist and shows inequality

It is illogical to call a teacher or any adult by their last name. It shows that they are better and can do what ever they want and students are inequal. It's disgusting that teachers are still called by their last names and that people still beleibe adults deserve any higher form of respect.

• Time for change

Calling teachers sir,miss, mrs is old fashioned. We need to move with the times. Times are changing.
    Teachers are more than teachers. You can chat to them if something is troubling them. The modern school is important, not the old fashioned ones. This is 21st century and times should change.

• They aren't better than us

Teachers have no right to control us, and do not deserve to have a title as such. Teachers should be familiar with students, not in control. Calling a teacher by their last name means that they are a higher power, that they control the student. Also, calling a teacher by their first name implies that the teacher and student are at the same level of power, and have no more or less power. Teachers should be friends, not bosses, and calling them by their first name implies such.

• Your mom sucks

Jghlfdhgldfjghfghsguhfgihsughuythghtuerh;ugthrgo;uiyyystuopihfghfhgghjghghjg sjdfghjfhgj jhfjkgh fd f f g g d d s s s s f g g g g g g g g g g f d d s g gh h dgh gfd g hj g d h j d j g g h j j f f s

• Puppy monkey baby

A a a a a a a anasdf df c cd d d d dd dd d d dd d d d d d d d d7 d6 5 d 4 3f2dd 7d dd65d4 3d dd8 7d6 d d 7 d yd t dd d dd d de g dy der wd32 dtr654er

• It's just like talking to your friend

Why can't students call teachers by their first name, students are aloud to call their friends by their first name. I mean we are both human beings aren't we? Any one you meet you call by their first names. Using the first names seems more respectful and like your acctually in front of their life and soul to talk to them.

• First name basis shouldn't be a big deal

I don't think you should call anyone by their last name at all, unless it's what they like to be called. There's no reason to call someone by their last name and you can show respect in different ways. I've never called any of my teachers by their last name or any other adult. It's just stupid and people should use their given name.

• People should be allowed.

It gives you a clearer version of that person's name since you are not constantly preventing yourself of saying their name. You should always get a close relationship with someone you spend 180 days of your life with. No need to restrict yourself on what name you choose to call them.

• If you respect the children they will respect you back, no matter what they are allowed to call you.

I am a primary teacher. One of the 6 different schools I have taught in has had a first name policy and I found it a wholly positive thing. It definitely lowered the barrier between staff and families and helped create a warm close relationship between pupils and their teachers. Pupils were more relaxed and made better progress.

• Is undermines the student.

By calling a teacher Mr or Mrs is unneeded because they did not work for that title. If they have a PhD they are Dr, but they're only Mr because all they could amount to was being a grown man with 2 kids teaching why it should be whom not who. Our parents tax dollars are the only reason they get payed so of we don't go to school they're out of a job. If anything they should show us respect instead of trying to make us feel little or that we have no power.

• No They Should Not

Using someone's given name assumes a particular level of familiarity, whereas using an honorific such as Mr, Ms, or Dr, denotes recognition and respect of the individuals higher status, at least in their particular field. Not only would allowing students to use their first names erode the respect we as a society should be giving to teachers, but (especially in middle and high schools) it would undermine the authority teachers must have over their students in order to maintain order.

• They should definitely not

Especially in elementary and secondary schools, a teacher isn't supposed to be your friend, they're supposed to be someone you look up to and respect. The teacher is there to educate your children and inspire them to be their best. If the children feel they are equal with their teacher, how is a teacher supposed to control an out of hand classroom? Teachers aren't "better" than the student, but the students should know who's in charge. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

• No they should't

Students should not be allowed to call their teachers by their first name. First of all that is really disrespectful and secondly they are youth, only adults should be allowed to call other adults by their first name or else it is going to become really weird for the teacher.

• Not without a title in front.

When my children were in preschool their teachers were Ms. Marcia an Ms. Barb. This is how they introduced themselves to the adults and the children. I had no problem with the first name being used but the title needed to be there also. Children and adults are not equal. While both deserve to be treated with respect, adults are the teachers, children are the students and the title denotes that whether in a formal setting of a school or being the parent driving the carpool (because all adults are teachers to children in some capacity).

• Absolutely not; it's not about modernity, it's about common sense.

There is such a push these days for children to be treated as equals. They are equals as human beings, but not equal in this situation. Much as you aren't allowed to walk right into your boss' office and use their stationery and make yourself at home (does this change your value as a human being?) so there is a place for societal structure. Using titles doesn't show hierarchy....It shows class.

Perhaps those that are afraid of this need to go and read Lord of the Flies.....But then again perhaps you object to a text that isn't about your personal opinion and how the world relates to you....

• Polite, Respectable and Authority

Simple Q. How do you address your loving parents? Is it by their first name? How do you address a priest? Is it by their first name? What about police officer who stopped you for violation? Definitely not with their first name. 'What did I do wrong, Jack?' I rest my case.

• Polite, Respectable and Authority

• A Hierarchy of Glass: My View as a Student

As a bit of an Anarchist, I dislike hierarchies. Even so, the fact is that professors and teachers have power over the students they teach. The erasure of titles may seem admirably Anarchistic in name; however, the existing power structure, while less visible, still remains.

With first-name-level familiarity, a student may grow to trust a professor as an equal, and the professor might not realize the sheer amount of power in his/her/their hands. In such a culture, boundaries may be crossed long before being recognized; yet, the harm is not lessened by the lack of recognition.

So, when my professor asks to be called "Brian" and I still call him "Dr. Von Schmetterling," I am not saying "I bow to your power and authority," but rather "Please respect my lack of power, and use your authority wisely."

As a bit of an Anarchist, I dislike hierarchies. Even so, the fact is that professors and teachers have power over the students they teach. The erasure of titles may seem admirably Anarchistic in name; however, the existing power structure, while less visible, still remains. In a world of familiarity, a student may grow to trust a professor as an equal, and the professor might not recognize the power in his/her/their hands. In such a culture, boundaries may be crossed long before being recognized; yet, they still cause the same amount of harm.

So, when my professor asks to be called "Billy" and I still call him "Dr. Crystal," I am not saying "I bow to your power and authority," but rather "Please respect my lack of power, and use your authority wisely".

• Of course Not! Because it shows a big lack of respect and it is extremely rude.

For example, if you're a student talking to Ms Hopwood, you'd be saying Ms Hopwood you wouldn't be saying Diana, for example, if you're a student talking to Ms Costa, you'd be saying Ms Costa you wouldn't be saying Daniella; for example, if you're a student talking to me you'd be saying Mrs McCallister or Mrs Pheellann, you wouldn't be saying Katherine.