Should students be allowed to chew gum in school?

Asked by: Fanny
  • Yes. Gum helps distracted students stay on focus

As long as they don't chew loudly or dispose of the gum outside the trash can, I don't see the problem.

Gum helps to "shut up" people, because their mouths are occupied, allowing them to think instead of talk.

Also, chewing gum may speed up reading. "Spreeder.Com" claims the reason why people read too slow is because of "internal voice", a delay in which the mouth must move as the reader reads. Chewing gum occupies the mouth, this allowing faster reading times without the habit of internal voice.

• Chewing gum should be allowed

Teachers are always telling students that the reason behind the gum policy is because students put the gum under desks, chairs, etc. Why do kids really put gum under the desk? Here’s why, they are afraid of getting in trouble so they put it under the desk when they are done. But if students didn’t get in trouble for chewing gum then it would end up in the right place. My question is why can’t teachers give us the responsibility and then teach us how to use it, instead of completely taking it away from everybody.

• I've heard that chewing gum can lead to higher test scores

Kids get rid of nervous energy by chewing gum. THis helps them focus on a task, such as a test. As long as the student chews quietly it won't affect anyone around them. It is similar to tapping a pencil or tapping a foot or chewing fingernails, which can be more distracting.

• Gum increases score grades.

Kids that chew gum are more focused during class and they will learn more from the class and they wont have to teach themselves the wrong way to do something. Chewing gum also helps with memory, so when it comes to the test, kids will remember more from their daily lessons than a non-chewer.

• Chew gum now!

It helps memory and brain development and makes you cleverer and better and stronger and thinner and much more cooler and it is way better! Most people that chew gum are more acedemic than other students! Scientists have done tests you know! It's not rocket science you know duh !

• Chewing Gum Is Good For Your Health.

I Suggest Students Should Chew On Trident.
    Not Only It Has A Good Flavor, But Also It Gives You Good Breath.
    They Should Provide Trident Stalls In School And Each Box Is About 25 Cents.
    It Can Distract You From Annoying Children.
    Just Remember, Teach Students To Wrap The Used Chewing Gum In Tissue Before Throwing It.

• I beileve so

It does help so.... Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

• Yes they sould

It is rude to take gum away from kids. Kids should have gum in school. So teachers and principals let kids have gum in schools everywhere. So think about what you have done to kids so give kids the right to have gum in school. That is my reason for this.

• Should students be allowed to chew gum in class?

Students should be allowed to chew gum in class because not only does it help you focus i class you pay more attention more and you don't get chewed out by the teacher (no pun intended) and you stay awake you get better grades because of it you more productive

• Yes it should be allowed

Ok putting gum under the table is something kids won't do if it was allowed. If gum was allowed kids wouldn't be scared to throw it away to the fear of being caught by the teacher or a tattle tale. So if gum was allowed it wouldn't be under the table😑

• Hector 3 grade

You should not eat gum because it may cause cavities. I never
    got cavities because I don't eat gum. I know you don't
    want to get cavities and I don't ether so if you don't eat gum you will not
    lose your teeth. So don't eat gum it is bad!

• They chew like cows

There is a disorder out there that affects a good bit of people called Misophonia (literally, the hatred of sound) or Selective Sound Sensitivity Syndrome (4s) which I have. It makes eating with others or being near others that are eating a horrible, rageful, and stressful experience.

And let me tell you, most gum-chewing students in classes chew like cows. Their brains are incapable of understanding how to chew with their mouths closed so that they do not smack. It is obnoxious and disgusting.

Also, most kids can and will stick gum to a desk. Run your hands across the bottoms of desks in any classroom of any grade; I dare you! It's repulsive and it stays there until someone musters up the courage to go past their job description and scrape gum from their desks.

There are those that say that gum can help you concentrate. Believe me, this is absolutely true, but it's not the only method in the world to help someone concentrate. It's also not the only appetite suppressant in the world. It IS one of the most horrid things to misophoniacs like me.

Thank you, everyone. Continue this debate.

• I say no to gum

Gum In school should not be allowed! People stick it to desk! It districts teachers and other people in the class! I like gum and all but school is not the place to chew it! My classes always get interrupted by gum chewers and I can't stand it because I come to school to learn! Not to listen to teachers yelling at my peers to spit their gum out!

• Use something else to release stress / energy / stay focussed. Gum is unnecessary and hard to remove.

Most of the arguments for explain how it can help students concentrate. Why not use a stress ball, or a hand grip exerciser?

As for keeping them quiet? They still speak with their gum in, only with less eloquence and a white bit of plastic rolling around their mouths. Plus the teachers will want them to occasionally speak up and answer/ ask questions.

Gum has no place in schools.

• Glop glop glop!

Yes I think that kids should be able to chew gum in class! It gives them something to do and when I was there age I was obsessed with chewing it. So I needed something to chew on or I would go crazy!!! If kids are like I am they need something to do. And some gum is good for you like it cleans your teeth!!

• Lead to more unbanning

If you let 1 ban go, people will use the same reasons to ban other things. This could lead to a unorganized school. People wouldn't go to that school. That school would die. Then what would we do. All because you let chewing gum get in your way. Don't let gum get in the way.

• Gum is sticky and gross.

Gum sticks to everything, especially under desks. Its nasty , imagine finding saliva covered gum under your desk, I mean imagine the germs! Its disgusting and , when you touch gum you can get it all over your fingers. That doesn't help to work , being covered in something that was in someone else's mouth.

• Gum should not be allowed in schools

One reason, why gum should not be allowed in school is that it is a big destration of students. The used gum is likely to end up under chairs, desks and other apparatus. I think some kid just not listen when teachers say no but some kids still do it though

• Gum is sticky and gross.

• Health Problems Of Gum

Contains chemicals and substances that lead to the following: mental retardation, anxiety, cancer, sleeping disorders, and brain seizes. One of the schools concerns (out of many) is student health. With problems like theses, they would/could not go to school. School lunch is government required to be healthy, so this would be as well.

gabechua says2014-03-16T07:37:55.203
Chewing gum should be allowed in school as it helps to improve oral health by stimulating saliva production in the mouth. Since saliva has antibacterial properties it helps flush out bacteria and hence improves oral health! This is important!
PreferNotToBeLabeled says2014-05-04T06:54:21.660
Gum under desks like oh my god. I hate gum because of it.