Should students be allowed to curse in school?

Asked by: nacb99
  • Yes they Should

Words are sounds. You shouldn't get in trouble for making a sound. I hate it when parents and teachers yell at you for saying something. I never understood why some words were considered "bad" in the first place. If it's the meaning behind the word, then why is it sociably acceptable to say the word "hate" but it's wrong to use what we call profanity.

• Yes, my ni🅱🅱a!

They aren't hurtful to begin with, I have researched that certain bad words can relief pain of some parts of your body and they calm you down afterwards. Religion like me as a Christian really abides not use them at all unfortanately. I don't really care and just swear like a normal person in normal conversations. :/

• Swearing is a good thing

Swearing is a good thing and is a way for students and staff release anger and other emotions without getting physical.Here are some reasons from a website that explain why swearing is good.
    1. Pain relief. Swearing activates the so-called 'fight or flight' response, leading to a surge of adrenaline and a corresponding analgesic effect. Richard Stephens of Keele University in England found that people who swear are able to hold their hands in ice-water for twice as long. However, this only holds for people who swear a few times a day, not for so-called 'chain-swearers'. Presumably chain-swearers are densensitized to their swearing, and so not particularly aroused by it. It remains unclear whether some swear words are more effective than others. But it seems very likely.

2. Power and control. Swearing can give us a greater sense of power and control over a bad situation. By swearing we show, if only to ourselves, that we are not passive victims but empowered to react and fight back. This can boost our confidence and self-esteem, and also provide the impetus for further corrective action to be taken. As Mark Twain put it, 'When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear.'

3. Non-violent retribution. Swearing enables us to get back at bad people or situations without having to resort to violence. Instead of punching someone in the face or worse, we channel and disarm our anger by swearing instead. True, swearing can also have hurtful consequences, but better a few sharp words than a sharp dagger. Swearing can also serve as a warning signal or as a marker of rank and authority, a bit like an animal's growl: "Watch out. Stop it. Or you're damn well going to pay the price."

4. Humour. Swearing among friends can be quite hilarious. In such circumstances, it represents a release from normal social constraints or, like play-fighting, makes light of a potentially threatening person or situation.
    . Peer and social bonding. Swearing can serve to show that we belong in a certain group, or that we are able to be ourselves and so wholly comfortable with the members of that group. If done correctly, it can also signal that we are open, honest, self-deprecating, easygoing, and barrel loads of fun.

6. Self-expression. Swearing can be a way of showing that we really mean something or that it is really important to us. That's why swearing is so much a part of any sport. It also broadens our register and makes us more lively and interesting, being used, for example, to add emphasis or 'punch' to our speech.

Article continues after advertisement
    7. Psychological and physical health. The health benefits of swearing include increased circulation, elevated endorphins, and an overall sense of calm, control, and well-being. The key is to do it sparingly and not to get angry at the same time, which would be very bad for you—as well as terribly vulgar.

• I think cussing is aloud in schools.

Its just talking. There is nothing wrong with talking, right? Also there is no danger being done there. No one gets hurt. No one gets killed. Everyone cusses outside of school anyway. Finally it helps express emotion. These are the reasons why there is nothing wrong with cursing in schools.

- Beth Bolin

• I think cussing is aloud in schools.

- Beth Bolin

• Even Mistakes Get Punished

My teacher has cursed in front of the class, accidently. "OMIGOSH!"
    My friend cursed in class accidently. "OMIGOSH"
    I said shut up. "OMIGOSH!"
    Are you sensing a pattern here?
    People care, just not the good part of them. I don't care, and maybe "OMIGOSH!" should be considered a "bad" word. HA, people.

• Yes yes yes

Fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you cunt fuck you

• Why shouldn't it?

Swear words are just words. Nothing more. Either way, if they are "disrespectful" let those "disrespected" respond, not the school system. As a student at a high school, where profanity is banned, almost everyone swears. All banning it is doing is making more kids get in trouble. As for "setting a poor example" the teachers can have a speech code. Finally, I will not accept the "sin" argument. I am an Atheist and support a Secular (non-religious, but not Atheist) school system, so don't force religious values on those who might not share those values.

• It Helps Express Emotion

I curse a lot in school. The officials however don't allow it. The dictatorship we call school should give us some freedom. Trust me, cursing helps us take out our emotions. The dictators we call teachers are not allowing us to fully express our emotions. Curse words help, but these dictators want to take it away.

SCHOOL IS A DICTATORSHIP!!!!!!!

• It's only words.

I would understand if you got in trouble for disrespecting a teacher with a cuss, but saying a cuss in any context? Even when it's just used to emphasize something? Studies have shown that cussing is actually good for you!
    Http://elitedaily.Com/life/culture/reasons-cursing-is-good-for-the-soul/879294/
    http://time.Com/96084/swearing-is-good-for-you/
    Banning cuss words is stupid and I'll happily debate anyone who says otherwise.

• No, they shouldn't.

Cursing, especially in SCHOOL, is highly disrespectful and enitrely unneeded. When a teacher is giving a lesson, students shouldn't just be able to curse all around and in the hallways and such. This is also setting a horrible example for smaller or younger students around them, and we don't little children swearing, now do we?

• Nopedy nopety no

Well i believe in God so yer i'd have to say no on that one, it's disrespectful to God and can be to other people as well. Even if it's a habit, it shouldn't be allowed at schools. The less cursing in the world, is less of that particular sin, so yer its always good to have a clean mouth :)

• No, because there are many hidden consequences for it.

No, because, as many people don't know, cursing can increase a persons anger and temper. Imagine all the students cursing, and day by day, they become angrier and more uncontrollable.
    Also, when a person curses, it becomes a habit for them, which causes them to curse at inappropriate times such as in front of a principal, teacher, parent, when they are in trouble, etc. In these situations, cursing would definitely be considered as rude and disrespectful.

I also found this from a website I found explaining the different cons of swearing:
    Swearing Imposes a Personal Penalty
    It gives a bad impression
    It makes you unpleasant to be with
    It endangers your relationships
    It's a tool for whiners and complainers
    It reduces respect people have for you
    It shows you don't have control
    It's a sign of a bad attitude
    It discloses a lack of character
    It's immature
    It reflects ignorance
    It sets a bad example

Swearing is Bad for Society
    It contributes to the decline of civility
    It offends more people than you think
    It makes others uncomfortable
    It is disrespectful of others
    It turns discussions into arguments
    It can be a sign of hostility
    It can lead to violence

Swearing corrupts the English language
    It's abrasive, lazy language
    It doesn't communicate clearly
    It neglects more meaningful words
    It lacks imagination
    It has lost its effectiveness
    ( http://www.Cusscontrol.Com/swearing.Html )

Hope this helped you understand why students shouldn't be allowed to swear in school. :)

• No need for it

There is NO reason for students to have to swear in school, or anywhere, it is pointless in my opinion, and is an excuse to make fun of people, make others affended, or just do it for the "rush" which i feel does not exist. It is just sad to think there are any reasons why bad words are needed.

• No, no, no

Although I myself do curse all the time, i do realize that becaues of school, you learn when and where certain language is acceptable. The school settting, which later turns into the work setting, is not. Kids need to learn that they cannot curse just anywhere, because getting into the habit of not caring and cursing anywhere will later on mess up their chance for a job. What if they accidently curse in an inteview????

• It's a matter of respect.

I personally feel that students should not be able to swear in school out of respect for the teachers and the other students. As a student myself, I know how hard it is for the teachers to put up with idiots in classes, and if they swear at you, you are belittling all of their efforts. They don't swear at the students, so we shouldn't swear at them.

• It's so offensive

I get highly offended when I hear people swear. I was just at the shops and felt awful and uncomfortable being around people swearing. Kids need to learn restraint and when it's not appropriate to use these words, if they can just swear where ever they want they will never learn this.

• No, no student should be a loud curse.

Every student should be a quite blessing. Diligent students who respect their teachers and study their coursework tend to do well. Why would you want a student to be a curse? What sort of sick, perverted logic justifies the desire for students to be a curse upon the school system?

• No body should curse in school or in class

Kids or any body should be curceing because you don't have a reason to cures In school or in class yes you might do it for a littile reason but still I will put a rull if a kid curse in class they will say it in front of the entire class room and stay up for lunch and for out doors

• Yes students should be allowed to curse sometimes.

One of the reasons why i am, supporting the opinion i had chose is because sometimes for example if your walking and on accident you pinch your toe run into something solid you"ll probably say a curse word or something. But i mean if you were one of those educated kids you would'nt have to say that :p

the_arbiter says2013-10-24T09:46:15.573
A loud curse?