Should students be allowed to curse in school?

Asked by: nacb99
  • Yes they Should

Words are sounds. You shouldn't get in trouble for making a sound. I hate it when parents and teachers yell at you for saying something. I never understood why some words were considered "bad" in the first place. If it's the meaning behind the word, then why is it sociably acceptable to say the word "hate" but it's wrong to use what we call profanity.

• What's the point?

Any swear word is just the same as a regular word. People tell you to find an alternative such as 'fudge', etc. but in the end, we mean the same thing so why does it matter, and we all know that teachers swear in school anyway, or at least some do.

• Maybe, yes, sometimes

I live in country where swearing is pretty normal. I am still in school myself and have heard teachers swearing a bunch of times. Of course, they don't do it on purpose. I don't think you should to swear every other word, I know swearing is bad (I'm a Christian), but sometimes swearword can be just what you need. I don't really think this would work in my school, tho. Students here would deffinetly over-use it, but if someone swears accidently, I wouldn't punish them. Sorry my english is bad, I'm only 15 and english is my second language

• FUCK! Should Students be allowed to cuss?

Yes. There is nothing wrong with being expressive! Students should have every right to be able to cuss. Cussing is cool and kids who cuss have more friends. Why conform and say things like shoot instead of shit and frick instead of fuck. Be normal and cuss. It isn't bad it is great! So fucking do whatever you want!

• They should be allowed

First of all i would like all people that say no to consider the fact that when students use words like shoot and frick, they are literally replacing words like shit and fuck,they are being used for the same meaning and the only thing is different is the way the word is said. What makes a word a curse anyway, they are just synonyms to other words. Also you shouldn't be getting in trouble for saying words that just have no reason to be considered wrong, again like i said earlier, curse words are just synonyms to other words. Calling students names and getting in worse trouble because there is profanity in them is like saying that you have a shovel and a spade and the spade is worse then a shovel (for those who don't know, shovels are referred to as spades in britan), there is literally no difference from calling some one a poophead and calling someone a shithead. I have students getting in worse trouble for using "profanity" in calling someone names. This is america, getting in trouble for saying shit (when you wouldn't for saying poop even though it is a direct synonym to shit) shouldn't be legal. Racial slurs should depend on who's saying them but that is an argument for another day...Also isn't hell a curseword because of a religious group called christianity (that means that getting in trouble for saying damn and hell is technically vandalizing student rights and breaking laws)

• Students should be allowed

Students should be allowed to swear as I think that it basically lets out the pain and anger you have inside of you, and who the hell made up the exaggeration of swearing turns you into an emo kid, everybody has the right to swear when they have anger as it relieves you of the pain.

• Yes, they should be able to curse

They should be able to curse in school because some of the teachers in the school do it and the teachers don't get in trouble so therefore kids should to. Cursing is just words/ sounds they can curse if they put it in a good way not a bad way.

• This shouldn't even be a rule.

I've heard teachers say damn and pissed many times and mutter things when upset its completely ridiculous that its a rule in public and private schools. I think students and teachers alike should have their freedom of speech, Curse words have no meaning other then what we have gave them.

• There should be no arguement

Imagine getting detention for using the term, fuck, in a non-hostile way. How would that feel...Not good right. Thats what happens at least thousands of times a day. Students should have a right to say what they want.Ever heard of the freedom of speech. Also, cursing helps students express who they are. To make things short, (minor or not) schools discriminating students for using profanity violates the first amendment

• Of course the should!

Swearing helps your emotions come through, especially if you're really passionate about what you're saying. It doesn't matter- people will be exposed to swearing whether or not the school allows it. People do it outside of class- what's the difference? I understand that swearing might be offensive to some people- but that's their personal choice not one that should be imposed on everyone! In the same way, some people might be offended by cross necklaces or hijabs- it's someone's religion and it means something to them, of course they should be allowed to wear it.

• No, they shouldn't.

Cursing, especially in SCHOOL, is highly disrespectful and enitrely unneeded. When a teacher is giving a lesson, students shouldn't just be able to curse all around and in the hallways and such. This is also setting a horrible example for smaller or younger students around them, and we don't little children swearing, now do we?

• Nopedy nopety no

Well i believe in God so yer i'd have to say no on that one, it's disrespectful to God and can be to other people as well. Even if it's a habit, it shouldn't be allowed at schools. The less cursing in the world, is less of that particular sin, so yer its always good to have a clean mouth :)

• No, because there are many hidden consequences for it.

No, because, as many people don't know, cursing can increase a persons anger and temper. Imagine all the students cursing, and day by day, they become angrier and more uncontrollable.
    Also, when a person curses, it becomes a habit for them, which causes them to curse at inappropriate times such as in front of a principal, teacher, parent, when they are in trouble, etc. In these situations, cursing would definitely be considered as rude and disrespectful.

I also found this from a website I found explaining the different cons of swearing:
    Swearing Imposes a Personal Penalty
    It gives a bad impression
    It makes you unpleasant to be with
    It endangers your relationships
    It's a tool for whiners and complainers
    It reduces respect people have for you
    It shows you don't have control
    It's a sign of a bad attitude
    It discloses a lack of character
    It's immature
    It reflects ignorance
    It sets a bad example

Swearing is Bad for Society
    It contributes to the decline of civility
    It offends more people than you think
    It makes others uncomfortable
    It is disrespectful of others
    It turns discussions into arguments
    It can be a sign of hostility
    It can lead to violence

Swearing corrupts the English language
    It's abrasive, lazy language
    It doesn't communicate clearly
    It neglects more meaningful words
    It lacks imagination
    It has lost its effectiveness
    ( http://www.Cusscontrol.Com/swearing.Html )

Hope this helped you understand why students shouldn't be allowed to swear in school. :)

• No need for it

There is NO reason for students to have to swear in school, or anywhere, it is pointless in my opinion, and is an excuse to make fun of people, make others affended, or just do it for the "rush" which i feel does not exist. It is just sad to think there are any reasons why bad words are needed.

• No, no, no

Although I myself do curse all the time, i do realize that becaues of school, you learn when and where certain language is acceptable. The school settting, which later turns into the work setting, is not. Kids need to learn that they cannot curse just anywhere, because getting into the habit of not caring and cursing anywhere will later on mess up their chance for a job. What if they accidently curse in an inteview????

• It's a matter of respect.

I personally feel that students should not be able to swear in school out of respect for the teachers and the other students. As a student myself, I know how hard it is for the teachers to put up with idiots in classes, and if they swear at you, you are belittling all of their efforts. They don't swear at the students, so we shouldn't swear at them.

• It's so offensive

I get highly offended when I hear people swear. I was just at the shops and felt awful and uncomfortable being around people swearing. Kids need to learn restraint and when it's not appropriate to use these words, if they can just swear where ever they want they will never learn this.

• No, no student should be a loud curse.

Every student should be a quite blessing. Diligent students who respect their teachers and study their coursework tend to do well. Why would you want a student to be a curse? What sort of sick, perverted logic justifies the desire for students to be a curse upon the school system?

• What does this have on the children's learning in environment

This is going to make kids distracted when they hear some kids start cussing out at each other, and with the teacher. This would encourage the use of language that should only be used out and about , plus this would greatly affect their grades and evidently become street trash. LOL xD this is just for fun, but kids can curse but not in school.

• What attitude does that encourage?

Students turn into adults. Children are adults while developing. If they develop a foul mouth and a foul attitude while in school, with nobody there to pick them up on it, they'll go into the world with a pottymouth, and nobody likes that in a job interview. It's in their best interest in the long run.

the_arbiter says2013-10-24T09:46:15.573
A loud curse?