Should students be allowed to curse in school?

Asked by: nacb99
  • Yes they Should

Words are sounds. You shouldn't get in trouble for making a sound. I hate it when parents and teachers yell at you for saying something. I never understood why some words were considered "bad" in the first place. If it's the meaning behind the word, then why is it sociably acceptable to say the word "hate" but it's wrong to use what we call profanity.

• They're just words

Why should students be punished for using words? They may be considered offensive, but what makes them offensive is context. Using the f word when you drop something is different than calling someone the b word. Plus, it has been shown that people who cuss generally have more expansive vocabularies.

• Most teachers do it it to like the gym teachers.

Some teachers do it @woodlandmiddleschool. Teachers need to respect students if there is a freedom of speech in the constitution then it should count for all ages. If teachers do it to then students should be able to do it to. So use the freedom of speech law for everybody.

• Why should teachers care about what we say?

I think that everyone in school is to be allowed to express his opinion on everything and everyone in the school,using any kind of vocabulary he counts necessary can I,for instance,tell my mates about something that would sound,at least,blank after I take all the swears out of there?Moreover,teachers are paid to give knowledge and that`s all about it,not about being a joint security guards,beating you all around for a single breath across their rules.Personally I talk in languague I count befit as soon as I leave the classroom.

• Yes if it is not bullying

Swearing is what everyone does today, and we just can't stop. Of course swearing 24/7 is a problem, but if you are not going to use the offensively then yes. If you are, there would be a punishment. I'm in the UK, and my whole school swears. I'm only 11, and if someone does it for no reason or does it 24/7 I will get annoyed.

• YES! High schoolers SHOULD be allowed to swear!

I taught high school for many years and as a teacher, I never once sent a student to the office for swearing, either in the hallway or in my class, as long as it was just in conversation. As long as the swearing does not include any racist or discriminatory language against any individual or group, and is not threatening or confrontational, it was my opinion that teens should be allowed to use any so-called "swear words" that they wanted to use, in any setting. There is a BIG difference between "confrontational swearing" and "conversational swearing." Conversational swearing should be permitted 100% while confrontational swearing should not. My opinion was always "Punish the intent of the comment, not the words!" In other words, racist of threatening comments should be punished, while swear words used in the normal course of conversation which are not racist or threatening or confrontational should be freely permitted, even in class. These are just words, nothing more! And teens have just as much right to use them as anyone else. So my students always knew that if they kept the swearing Conversational, no swear word would ever get them punished or even scolded!

• Its unavoidable and part of our culture at this point.

Im currently in private school, and my classmates constantly curse. Its something that has become unavoidable. We use it for emphasis, and we use it to mess with each other. I have personally never seen two kids at school cussing each other out in anger. Honestly, telling kids to not use profanity will only make it more appealing. According to the dictionary, profanity is really only considered rude to people immersed in religion since it is seen as talking down on God. Therefore, we have always been told not to use these "vulgar" or "blasphemous" sounds and the meanings they carry in our day to day vocab. Today, we are constantly surrounded by profanity. Even some G rated Youtube channels curse on a regular basis.
    Of course, these words arent accepted in some professional settings. You shouldnt cuss a teacher out, or even another student. You shouldnt use it when answering questions or talking about serious problems. It's casual language, like "aint". However, its ridiculous to say our mouths cant make these sounds simply because some people think it's blasphemy when its not particularily offensive to them, but the dead guy in the Heavens. We are constantly having sex, profanity, drinking, and all sorts of things shoved down our throats. Every generation has something they think is the best. Let us enjoy ours (in moderation)

• People should be aloud to curse in school

People should be aloud to curse in school because kids hear it and say it everyday and no one can stop people from doing it because f freedom of speech also it helps show more emotion when trying to express yourself or angry i'm a sophomore in high school and i do it everyday no matter who says i can't

• No, they shouldn't.

Cursing, especially in SCHOOL, is highly disrespectful and enitrely unneeded. When a teacher is giving a lesson, students shouldn't just be able to curse all around and in the hallways and such. This is also setting a horrible example for smaller or younger students around them, and we don't little children swearing, now do we?

• Nopedy nopety no

Well i believe in God so yer i'd have to say no on that one, it's disrespectful to God and can be to other people as well. Even if it's a habit, it shouldn't be allowed at schools. The less cursing in the world, is less of that particular sin, so yer its always good to have a clean mouth :)

• No, because there are many hidden consequences for it.

No, because, as many people don't know, cursing can increase a persons anger and temper. Imagine all the students cursing, and day by day, they become angrier and more uncontrollable.
    Also, when a person curses, it becomes a habit for them, which causes them to curse at inappropriate times such as in front of a principal, teacher, parent, when they are in trouble, etc. In these situations, cursing would definitely be considered as rude and disrespectful.

I also found this from a website I found explaining the different cons of swearing:
    Swearing Imposes a Personal Penalty
    It gives a bad impression
    It makes you unpleasant to be with
    It endangers your relationships
    It's a tool for whiners and complainers
    It reduces respect people have for you
    It shows you don't have control
    It's a sign of a bad attitude
    It discloses a lack of character
    It's immature
    It reflects ignorance
    It sets a bad example

Swearing is Bad for Society
    It contributes to the decline of civility
    It offends more people than you think
    It makes others uncomfortable
    It is disrespectful of others
    It turns discussions into arguments
    It can be a sign of hostility
    It can lead to violence

Swearing corrupts the English language
    It's abrasive, lazy language
    It doesn't communicate clearly
    It neglects more meaningful words
    It lacks imagination
    It has lost its effectiveness
    ( http://www.Cusscontrol.Com/swearing.Html )

Hope this helped you understand why students shouldn't be allowed to swear in school. :)

• No need for it

There is NO reason for students to have to swear in school, or anywhere, it is pointless in my opinion, and is an excuse to make fun of people, make others affended, or just do it for the "rush" which i feel does not exist. It is just sad to think there are any reasons why bad words are needed.

• No, no, no

Although I myself do curse all the time, i do realize that becaues of school, you learn when and where certain language is acceptable. The school settting, which later turns into the work setting, is not. Kids need to learn that they cannot curse just anywhere, because getting into the habit of not caring and cursing anywhere will later on mess up their chance for a job. What if they accidently curse in an inteview????

• It's a matter of respect.

I personally feel that students should not be able to swear in school out of respect for the teachers and the other students. As a student myself, I know how hard it is for the teachers to put up with idiots in classes, and if they swear at you, you are belittling all of their efforts. They don't swear at the students, so we shouldn't swear at them.

• It's so offensive

I get highly offended when I hear people swear. I was just at the shops and felt awful and uncomfortable being around people swearing. Kids need to learn restraint and when it's not appropriate to use these words, if they can just swear where ever they want they will never learn this.

• No, no student should be a loud curse.

Every student should be a quite blessing. Diligent students who respect their teachers and study their coursework tend to do well. Why would you want a student to be a curse? What sort of sick, perverted logic justifies the desire for students to be a curse upon the school system?

• What does this have on the children's learning in environment

This is going to make kids distracted when they hear some kids start cussing out at each other, and with the teacher. This would encourage the use of language that should only be used out and about , plus this would greatly affect their grades and evidently become street trash. LOL xD this is just for fun, but kids can curse but not in school.

• What attitude does that encourage?

Students turn into adults. Children are adults while developing. If they develop a foul mouth and a foul attitude while in school, with nobody there to pick them up on it, they'll go into the world with a pottymouth, and nobody likes that in a job interview. It's in their best interest in the long run.

the_arbiter says2013-10-24T09:46:15.573
A loud curse?