• Students should be allowed to eat in class

Students can’t concentrate on their studies when they are hungry. They often tend to keep glancing at the clock. If they are allowed to suck on candy or chew on gum, they might be able to focus more on their work than the time. The worst part is the 5 minutes before lunch. It’s always the last five minutes that seem to go by so slowly. At that point, their eyes never leave the clock. This means, no work gets done.

• The Seneca Diaries

Yes, they should. Respect is one thing, but since being hungry is a form of physical pain I don't see at all why children should have to bear physical pain to show someone respect. To avoid as much physical pain as possible for everyone is (at least to me) one of the most important things, and arguments like messing up computers (which computers?) are tenuous at best.

At my college we are allowed to eat in lectures. No one ever brought crisps, even though the 'no' side implies it's like the only food that exists. The amount of ants is not any higher than it was back in my school days, where we weren't allowed to. And not only are children better concentrated when their stomachs don't turn inside out, but back in our class it was common to sneak out of class to "visit the bathroom" when you would just leave the room to eat. Will this help you learning? Maybe not. Do you care what Seneca wrote into his diary 2000 years ago when you're hungry? Nope.

As a side note: I don't get this "students have to be 100% focused" thing at all. Personally, in school I was hardly 10% of the time even listening. Everyone I know was...
    Having had compulsory Latin for six years, which is completely vain in almost every possible future, taking a bite from my sandwich every now and then was what kept me fairly sane after all.

• An Opinion from a Student

I'm a student, and let me tell you, I get very hungry during class. School starts very early and lunch is very late, so sometimes, I get so hungry I can hardly concentrate on class. Me and my friends bring in healthy snacks such as granola bars, dry cereals, and other things.
    Kids should be aloud to eat during class. People tell us that eating distracts us from our school work, but does it really? Or does is help us focus and fuel our brain?

• Just clean up afterwards

I think students should be able to eat in their classrooms. Sometimes they may miss breakfast, or they may just feel hungry during the class period. I don't think this should be a problem for peckish kids in the classroom. The reason, I think, that teachers don't allow students to eat in classrooms is for two reasons; students may not clean up afterwards, and/or they might let their munching interrupt their learning or the lesson. As long as students eat quietly and respectfully while maintaining focus on the lesson, and remember to clean up afterwards, I think they should be allowed to eat in the classroom.

• I can answer yes, while clearly saying no.

Students get hungry during school, that is an indubitable yes.
    When people are hungry, there become issues such as distractions, the inability to fully focus, sometimes even a discomfort or pain as an extreme. Quoted from a MD U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan in a statement "When students are hungry and distracted, they're not learning."

I believe that she is absolutely, 100% correct. The reason is because that speaking from my own individual experience and observations from peers around me as a current high school student. Being hungry really does distract you in some cases. My solution to this is provide a simple, nutritional breakfast such as a sandwich, milk, and fruit. Following that would be a period in class (Assume you are in a 4, 90 minute long divided day with a 30 minute lunch break in the middle.) where you are able to freely eat a small snack or sandwich. This period could be within the first ten minutes of your second period class or last ten minutes of your first period class.

With that, you should be fine to last out the rest of the day. You have a breakfast, you have a snack (such as a sandwich packed in a small Ziploc bag, or bag of pretzels.), and you have a lunch. Two fulfilling and nutritional meals, intermixed with a snack to tide over your hunger. That plan will not disrupt class with students eating which in my opinion, allowing students to eat during a class would distract students even further and would be encouraged to eat in class. So I could say yes, but only if the plan is built around a schedule that would decrease any interruption to the education of students. Though when it does introduce a conflict with students as being a distraction, I will have to say no to eating in class.

• Students Should Be Allowed To Eat In Class

This is so because many times, students won't have breakfast and then their stomach will start growling and that disrupts the class. In addition to that, it is bad to skip breakfast because it is the most important meal of the day, and it provides you with energy, and you want to have energy in class.

• Yes, look at health problems!

I have hypoglycemia and know from personal experience that if I wasn't able to eat during class, I would get anywhere from dizzy/having a headache to fainting. If I wasn't allowed to eat in class, this is what would happen to me. So I say yes to allowing students to eat!

• I love food

I believe there shall be a designated snack time where students can quench their hunger. I don't think students should be able to eat or chew gum at any time as it can become distracting and time wasting. Students still should have snack and the snack should be relatively healthy. It is very hard to concentrate and work on an empty stomach! TEEHEE

• Good time use.

If everyone eats during class, there would be less breaks. Meaning more could be learned in a day. I mean yeah it can be kind of noisy, but I have noticed my teachers eating while we are working. I mean, come on, can you imagine what it's like to already be hungry then to see someone eating. Daedalus curse.

• They definitely should!

Some kids don't have time in the morning to eat, so eating on the go, or in this case, class gives them time to fill up. Studies have shown that kids who haven't eaten are less likely to pay attention during class, or stay on topic. Some teachers eat in class too, it's the same concept!

• No students shouldn't be allowed to eat during the lesson!

First of all, the child can not be concentrated on his or her studying the child will be thinking about his or her burger or whatever they have during the lesson ! When teacher explains students should take some notes! He or she wont have time to take notes as he or she eating her or his meal! And also do u think it is respectful to teacher???? No of course it would be really annoying if i saw someone eating while i am teaching something !

• No way hosay

Lets say a student eats in class time and a bit spills. No probs right the cleaner will clean it. WRONG cleaners are not our personal slaves, they are only here to clean floors and toilets.

Also (as others have said) it is very disrespectful to a teacher to eat while he/she is trying to do their job. If a teacher is speaking put everything down and LISTEN.

Some people may say that it helps their energy levels. But it actually sometimes gets your energy too high and you wont be able to stay still for even 1 minute let alone learn anything.

Thanks for readind BBBYYYEEE :)

• Should students be allowed to eat and drink during class?

Some kids don't have time in the morning to eat so eating on the go or in this case class gives them time to get full. And in fact it is proven that eating and chowing helps retain more information. Kids who haven't eaten are less likely to pay attention during class so then not the results of that are beater grades and a hire average in general. Haley Campbell 3

• Nothing good can come from it

Eating food in a classroom can lead to messes which just provides more work for the teacher. It is distracting for the students and teacher with the chewing and the smell. It can lead to pests, and possibly spillage can destroy equipment or papers. So, in conclusion, eating in class is a big no-no.

• It is not far!!!!!!!!

If you bring food to school and not share, it won't be far to the other kids. Maybe you just sneak food into the class with out the teacher knowing. If you bring snacks into the class and you leave food every were, the class will be full of mice, and ants, or even bugs. So that is what i would say. DON'T ALLOW KIDS TO HAVE FOOD IN THE CLASS. Sometimes they can have it not all the time.

• Its not allowed !

COUNTER ARGUMENTS:
    what happens if kids are very hungry?
    Well still, kids can not eat, unless if they are done all their work and they get to
    eat in the office or in the cafeteria.

IT IS VERY DISTRACTING WHEN YOU EAT IN THE CLASS INSTEAD OF IN THE OFFICE! THATS RUDE!