Should students be allowed to listen to music during exams?

• It helps me focus and makes tests more fun

It helps kids concentrate and it reduces cheating. You cant cheat if you cant hear anything. It relaxes nerves and makes tests less stressful. Dont you think it would help you if you like music and you were taking a big test and you were stressing out, i know i would

• The benefits of music

I tried two times tests at my home in two different sittings. One was without the music and the other one was where I had the music on. I took the tests under those conditions and the sitting where I had the music on was where my testing received the higher score

• Yes, but proceed with caution.

Music helps many students, including myself, study and complete assignments. I also learned in my psychology class that mimicking the environment that one was studying in during the exam can help them remember more. But there will always be those few people who ruin it for everyone, by trying to cheat and what not. If can be a way to monitor what the test takers are listening to to ensure that they are not cheating, I think everyone can benefit!

• It helps calms the nerves.

In my recent experiences, I was completely in a bad mood and was so distracted. I put music on and instantly was put in a better mood. Music is something everyone listens to, and a lot of people listen to music all the time. Some kids do better with some kind of noise they are used to rather than pencils moving, or others moving outside, or anything else that could be happening around them. It could increase focus, and put the kids at ease.

• Yes of course

It helps many students on assignments! Its also relaxing But if the student takes there phone out during the exam the student should be subject to a F on the test in my opinion. Also the music should not be too loud in a way where it is too distracting too some people. Also the the music should be used as a cheating device and have answers in it.

• Yes of course

• Yes i suport

I i i i i i i i iii i i ii i i i i i i i i i i fn i i icnd h bd dh d ieceh gusk sgtxe i jdur gyebewn uuhry hg g fj ufc gfyuvytttf gtdj jvrhrv hyr f3uf3u 3erbufrhv ehrer vhvhrr hvh

• Give students the proper tools to excel

Bob likes to mine with a pic axe; Bill likes to dig with a shovel. They're both phenomenal workers, they're just inspired differently.

Growing up I wish people had paid more attention to this EXACT issue. I knew I was smart but when it came to long tests (SATs, LSAT, etc) I would fail...Miserably. It wasn't until later in life I learned that music gave me the outlet to focus. I am ill equipped to focus that long in silence. And for that, there's a series of opportunities (i.E. Schools, internships, etc) I feel I missed because I didn't perform, in some areas, like I could have, had I been given the right tools to work with.

Be fair in education.

• Whatever next? Being able to 'phone a friend to reduce stress?

So when they attend a job interview are they going to be expecting to be listening to music while a potential employer attempts to ask them questions? Most, if not all, employers I can think of would take an extremely dim view of an interviewee sitting in an interview with earphones in each ear. If we didn't have this modern technology would we have to provide separate rooms with a radio or record player playing music? Now driving examiners are being told that they have to allow candidates to have the car-radio on while taking a driving test. When will this 'pandering' end? There is a 'real World' out here and spending all one's time with an iPod playing in one's ears is not a part of that World. Schooling is supposed to prepare young people for the adult-world. Resorting to listening to music in potentially difficult situations is NOT a part of the real World.

• Worst Idea Ever

I love music. It honestly makes my day time and time again. However, while I personally would enjoy listening to music during a test, it's simply not fair. Opens a huge door for cheating. Simply by recording myself reading facts related to the exam aloud, I could be given a huge advantage.

• Not on a standardized exam

I think music without words playing softly in the background of a classroom would be acceptable but not headphones connected to a device that the proctor can not monitor. Also don't forget...A standardized exam, such as the ACT, SAT, etc., is supposed to be the "same" for all testers. If one group is allowed this it could be construed as an unfair advantage over those that are not allowed.

• Hard to focus

If students are listening to music with a lot of lyrics than it will impair their comprehension . That is when silly mistakes like ignoring directions or misreading take place. If it were soothing music with out vocals then I would lean to yes. How many kids do you know that listen to classical music though?

• Yes, but no.

The answer to the question is yes. They should be "allowed" to listen to "music"... But no that's realistically not happening. Maybe if they ever decide they're going to spend money buying ipods and filling them up with pre-approved songs or something. Can you listen to the periodic table song while taking the periodic table test? Realistically, it's a waste of time for teachers to monitor all that and ensure no cheating so... No that's not happening.