Should students be allowed to walk home fom school?

• When possible, they should

Although it is true that there is danger in letting a young child walk home unaccompanied, children should be allowed to walk home when it is safe. Walking can be a good way to let children learn how to navigate where they live, learn where certain locations(such as home) are so they can get there by themselves if need be, and providing exercise. It can also help them become independent and to help them understand that in case there are no alternate methods of transportation available, they do have a way of getting where they need to go. I grew up walking home from school, often walking home almost every day. As I have grown up (I am now a sophomore in high school) I can clearly see how it has made me different from my peers; I don't consider one mile to be that long of a walk and i have a much better attitude towards physical activity and the outdoors than many of them. However, I also understand that there is danger in letting a student walk home unaccompanied. Some parts of town are simply not safe to walk in, period. Allowing your child to walk home goodness knows how long from who knows where can be frightening. Perhaps something parents could try, if they have time, could be to walk home with their child or possibly allow them to ride a bike.

• I am a cheese burger

Some kids eat cheeseburgers. They get really fat and need to walk around every day so they don't become obese. A lot of kids in our world are obese. Now I will bust out a haiku.
    Kids get really fat.
    They need to walk every day.
    So they don't get fat.

• I am a cheese burger

Kids get really fat.
    They need to walk every day.
    So they don't get fat.

• I am a cheese burger

Kids get really fat.
    They need to walk every day.
    So they don't get fat.

• Let them be free!

Some kids- or teens might feel like both their house and school is a prison. Walking home- that is if either accompanied or their residence is close should be allowed under certain circumstances.

Many parents fear for their children waking home- but come on, give them a chance. If they didn't like it they can stop- if they prefer to continue let them. Walking home won't harm nor kill your child- it's the bad people who do that.

But from 3-4 the only bad happening is traffic for people who are either getting home from tiring work or are at work.

• Just how paranoid are you!

. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .. . .. . .. . . .. . .. . . . . .. . . . . . . . .. . . . .. .. . .. .. .

• Kids should be aloud to walk home from school if they are at least 9 or 10

Kids need to start learning responsibilities when they are younger so that in the future, they become more responsible adults. My friend once told me that she and three friends had swimming class at the New Canaan Y.M.C.A. What they should have done was walk together from Saxe Middle School to the Y but in stead her mom insisted on picking them up and driving them there. Not SO bad right? WRONG! Because in case you didn't know, you can SEE the Y.M.C.A. From Saxe Middle School!!!!!!! So basically, parents are coddling kids way to much these days and seriously, what are you parents protecting them from, getting tired of walking? Come on people get a grip!!!!!!

• Yes they should

Kids need to learn to walk home by themselves to become more independent. If they aren't what is going to happen to them when they become much older? Better to prepare them now. Of course, kids will need their parents permission and would have to be mature enough, and it should be banned on dark nights or during the winter....

• Yes, they absolutely should!

Unless school is now officially considered a prison, the school had no right to hold them hostage, and once the child leaves the property, the school should have no say on what happens next. What's next? Can high schoolers not use mopeds/motorcycles? Segways? Will Tesla cars not be allowed just because some ignorant bureaucrat isn't comfortable?

Who elected these people? I sure didn't!

• Yes, they should.

Walking home from school is good for the environment and for the student. It is a great source of exercise and saves the parents on gas money, which also helps keep the air cleaner. Schools need to loosen up on some the rules they have and let students be able to act their age.

• Risking their lives

When you let your child go to school walking your risking their lives every time they walk the street. So I believe that students should not be able to walk to school because every time they do their little lives are at risk , and no parent would ever want there child life at risk.

• Could get killed

I agree that it's way to dangoures and kids could get killed by any type of car, bus, or any transportashion. I would be worried sick knowing that my child is walking to school all alone and something could happen to him on the way there. SoI would never let my child walk to school without me or his dad.

• The child may become a gangster ,kidnapped or injured

The child might become a gangster.The child might come across a gang.The gang might offer candy to the child to join the gang.The child might also be kidnapped.The parent might be risking there lives to cross a street.The child may get hit or ran over a car.Sure,the gas and the bills are important.They then will be paying money for medical bills and going to court for child abuse.

• NO way bad idea

No, i agree with they people above children should not be able to walk to school because of various reasons how ever it is very good exercise but there is no reason why they cant send busses. Its just very dangerous and you might be putting your childrens life at risk

• Dangers Of Walking

The students that walk home from school are more likely to be kidnapped, especially when they are by themselves. Unless they know how to protect themselves, they can easily be taken away. Also, some students mess around when they walk home from school, meaning that, if they make one mistake, they could easily hurt themselves or get hit by an automobile, leaving parents blaming the other kids for what happened, and possibly ruining friendships. Paying for the bus fee or the gas money to transport the student is much easier than paying for the medical bills that would follow the accident. When students are by themselves or with friends, they can be pressured or tempted to do things they would never be allowed to do at home. That can put them in serious danger. So would you rather your student be safe or in constant danger?

• They should not walk to school

Because its bad for kids to be walking to school and someone can kidnap them and then the parents we be blaming people and acusing so I disagree that school kids should walk to school because parents are worried half of the time because the have no arrived home good