Should students be required by rules to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at school?

Asked by: maggetator
  • They need to learn to be patriotic!

This fine countries youth think that just because they were born in America, they can reap the benefits of our country by doing drugs, and generally creating a ruckus. If we show them the core values of our country, and make them respect what they have, than they will be less likely to lash out and create crazy theories about our great nation. If they don't like it, they should be shown what it is like without a republic based country, and go see for themselves how great a republic is!

• Foundation for the nation

I would like to say yes, because it is used to help form our country in the past. Is it based on Christianity??? I would say not, the key work UNDER GOD does not state UNDER JESUS or any thing like that. For it would infringe on your freedom of Religion. So if your god is Allah for example, go nuts buddy. As far as Christianity goes, yeah our country was founded on it. If you say no, you really need to look at how Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey, Maryland and Rhode Island (or Rhode Island Colony to be proper) were formed. And I will say that explaining what the pledge means can go along way to. Hey, it beats hearing some teachers ranting on their views of politics.

• Foundation for the nation

• Foundation Of the usa

Our country was founded on this. The pledge should be recited and that's how we grew up so it should still say the same. Kids these days arent even learning the pledge and dont have a choice to know it or not. I think we should say it everyday. :)

• First of all...

There are so many reasons why it's wrong to force a student to stand and say the pledge of allegiance. A small reason is that there are religions in which you aren't allowed to 'worship' objects, and the kingdom of God is the only kingdom they believe in/pledge themselves to, etc. I'm not a part of one of those religions, but it's important that we recognize their right to religious expression. Also, our country was NOT founded on the pledge. If anything, we were founded on the Star Spangled Banner. If you compare the pledge and our national anthem, our anthem has so much more meaning- it was literally written during the Revolutionary War. The pledge was written to celebrate Columbus Day in the late 1800s for a student magazine in Boston.
    I think that forcing anyone to say the pledge goes against our rights as Americans. Before anybody says that saying so is ironic, let me remind you that the pledge wasn't of very much significance when being written, so honestly there really isn't that much meaning behind it. I personally find it a little cult-like. While I respect the intentions of the tradition of saying it every morning at school, and I believe that people should still be given the option of doing so, I think that students should be given a choice as to whether or not they will stand and say it.
    The hard thing about arguing this viewpoint is the fact that since I'm still a teenager, nobody will take my argument seriously and adults will say it's because I'm apathetic, or rebelling, or just angsty, when I really do have valid reasons. This is what I strongly believe, and if I don't stand up for what I believe in, then I am practically nothing. That's why I don't say the pledge at school.

Also, a fun fact: Students used to have to extend their right arms out in a salute to the flag like in the picture for this argument, and also exactly like the 'heil' stance that Hitler's supporters used. We only put our hands on our hearts after Hitler came to power.

• Sure if you want to get your ass sued, go right ahead.

It is settled Constitutional law that you can't do it. West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943).

The majority opinion in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, written by Justice Robert Jackson, became one of the great statements in American constitutional law and history.

Quotes from the decision:

"Words uttered under coercion are proof of loyalty to nothing but self-interest. Love of country must spring from willing hearts and free minds, inspired by a fair administration of wise laws enacted by the people's elected representatives within the bounds of express constitutional prohibitions."

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.'"

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections…'"

"To believe that patriotism will not flourish if patriotic ceremonies are voluntary and spontaneous instead of a compulsory routine is to make an unflattering estimate of the appeal of our institutions to free minds."

• Children have seperate beliefs also.

Children are not brought into the world to believe anything. They have the same amount of opinions as adults. Now reciting the pledge may be a priveledge or a honor for some, but others don't agree with everything in the pledge. For instance, "under god" and "liberty and justice for all" are two questionable statements. Some don't believe like others, some are not christian and don't find it suitable to be reciting the line "under god". Others realize that liberty and justice are not for all but for the rich. The pledge of allegiance doesn't stand for what it once did and I believe it should be an option for students not a requirement.

• It's worshiping a country

How can schools ban prayer and religion and then insist that kids say the pledge of allege cell which is also a for, of worship, worship to the flag and worship to the country. Patriotism should never be something that is forced on people, it is a pride that they develop when the country treats them and others well

• There's no law that says they have to.

I don't know about rules for certain schools, but I'm pretty sure there's no law requiring kids to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. At my school you don't have to, but there's a moment of silence after, which teachers get mad at you if you don't take part in, because it's disrespectful. If your school makes you recite it, there's probably some way you can make a complaint

• No One Should Be Forced To Do It

For some reason in America people think its okay to force-feed the children platefuls of patriotism every day in the hopes that someday they will feel pride their country. Yet if it were such a great thing to be an America, then such indoctrination should not be necessary.

Patriotism should arise in and of itself in someone, and if it doesn't, then perhaps that is for the best. To force anyone - students or otherwise - to recite any pledge or oath of loyalty to anyone or anything, including a country, is absolutely WRONG.

• Chanting loyalty oaths is weird, yo

You know what country is patriotic? Britain. You know what they don't do??? Say the pledge of allegiance.

The pledge of allegiance isn't necessary for patriotism. All you really need to do to kids is teach them the Revolutionary War, something in history class that glorifies America. Bada bing bada boom.

No kids should be forced to say the pledge. A lot of older school kids, mostly sixth grade up, don't even mean what they say. They just slap their hand to their chest and mumble some words.

And besides, the pledge says "under God." That's offensive to a ton of people and downright wrong because America is not a theocracy!! "Under God" wasn't even originally in the pledge, it was added, so if we really cared about our Founding Fathers, we'd take it out.

When kids are teenagers they go through rebellious phases and want to , well, rebel. Not saying the pledge is a really great way to do that.

Not saying the pledge won't turn you into a terrorist! Plenty of other nations don't do it! Patriotism can't be forced.

• Don't force them

It is one thing to force a student to stand up while it's being recited, but it's an entirely different thing to force them to say it. Saying it or not doesn't make someone any more or less patriotic than the others.

You can't force patriotism. It just arises naturally.