Should Students Be Required To Learn A Foreign Language In Order To Graduate High School?

Asked by: VenomxShocker
  • It looks good on a Application

Many people that are born in a country that mainly speaks English they don't really take the time to learn another language, that's bad. Learning another language can increase a lot of brainpower and it's good to know another language to help you in some situations. If you can place learning another language on your application for a collage they are most likely to accept the more after-schools activities.

• Best to learn while still in school.

If students were required to go through a language class actually worth the time then I believe that it would simply conclude to what the public education system should be doing in the first place. However, it seems like anything "public" never gets things done right. I say it's best to learn while you're still in school because you have more time for it and you are also at that age where it is still easier to learn a second language. I'm in college and I had to drop learning Spanish (Rosetta Stone) due to too many classes getting in the way plus I in my free time having to practice Computer Programming (learning C language instead of Spanish so to say) because it's that time in my life where I definitely need to focus more on my career skills than a second language yet am at the age where I could still learn if not so preoccupied.

• You can see the evidence why right here...

I actually learnt two foreign languages at school, mandatory, making me bilingual. Knowing more languages gives one nothing but benefits.

We can all see the moronic arguments given by the 'No' side, 2 actually made by one person. And both are extremely idiotic.. "WE speak ENGLISH HERE"... Duh... There are countries outside of the US. I really hope this person never travels, someone with this sort of opinion should stay in their country all their live. I'm sure they have never learnt any other languages...

For one, I am not of any sort of opinion like that, knowing languages has opened the world to me, has given me plenty of opportunity employment and career wise, and will boost my career in the future, and will boost anyone's career if utilized correctly. But for that, one has to learn the language, and school is the best time for that to happen. Even if only for a couple of years, I would support mandatory languages during some or all grades.

Posted by: WAM
  • Yes they should.

So currently, students are only required to take a foreign language class. But I would make the argument that they should actually be required to learn a foreign language, specifically Spanish. If our jobs as educators are to prepare students for the real world and provide them with as many opportunities as possible, shouldn't the 2nd biggest spoken language in the United States be a priority to learn?

• No, I REALLY don't think so.

I HATE the idea of being forced to learn a foreign language in order to pass high school. The mere idea of having to change my lifestyle in order to accommodate to all the illegals Obama is letting in is infuriating. The way I see it, THEY are coming HERE. WE speak ENGLISH HERE. If they illegally cross the border into America, then they should speak English, so they can effectually speak with everyone. NOT the majority learning a foreign language to speak with them. If THEY learned ENGLISH, that would be more efficient, as they could talk with everyone, instead of a few who speak Spanish.

• No. I really don't think so.

• Don't think so.

It's more a waste of time than a benefit. The hours we spend learning another language that isn't native to where we live could be put towards an extra elective to help us with our career. Foreign languages should still be offered as an optional class; if you want to take it then you still have the option.