Should students be required to learn a second language?

• Yes and no i think they should have a free choice of if they want to or if they dont want to

WE HAVE A CHOICE , WE CAN CHOSE TO do a laugage so if we dont then it would be unfair and then we might get graded more but i think , i would want to have a choice to study or not study any lauage so that would be unfair.

• Very beneficial for young ones and future life.

There are several benefits for going through the trouble of learning a second language, both cognitively and intellectually. Learning a second language has been shown to enhance children's cognitive development. Children who learn a foreign language beginning in early childhood demonstrate certain cognitive advantages over children who do not. Plus, certain jobs require bilingual employees. I think second language should start as early as possible.

• The way the world is going.

The way the world is going, a second language will become more and more beneficial when trying to get employed. Learning a second language is also helpful for primary and elementary students as learning another language helps the brain make more connections. Also we can learn about the culture of another country.

• I believe they should!

I believe that teaching children a second language will help them become more diverse. They'll learn English better by comparing it with other languages. America technically doesn't have an official language. English IS mostly spoken here, but between the crock pot of nationalities that come to this country, (Not including Hispanics) I'm actually surprised that it's NOT mandatory!

• Students should be required to learn a second language.

It is easiest to learn and remember a second language when introduced to it at an earlier age. Knowing a second language is extremely useful and can land you many jobs by just having a second language on your resumé. Also, learning a second language makes you stronger in English. I've taken French classes since middle school and my English is much stronger than it was before I had learned French.

• While Americans should learn a secondary language as do most civilized nations

While Americans should learn a secondary language as do most civilized nations like Germany, Mexico, Canada, Russia, etc. Ultimately though it is up to the person whether they want to become fluent in the language or not and even though I believe it should be more enforced for people to learn a second language while they're younger, it is still up to them to learn it.

• I believe elementary students should at least be required to learn a second language

I believe that a second language should be taught to elementary students in the beginning because if you look at the United States, it has a mix of Asian, European, African, Spanish/Mexican, a bit of Russian, Japanese, Chinese, German, English, Middle Eastern, ect..
    I personally wanted to learn Japanese through out Middle school and current High school year. When I was in elementary, I wanted to learn Spanish because I lived in an Latino - no racism involved - neighborhood and the elementary was 85 - 90 % Spanish/Mexican. Sadly. There hasn't been one single Japanese instructor or teacher through out my Middle school and current High school year.

• It's ignorant to think that Americans only need to know one language.

Although English may be the primary language in the US. It is not the official language. Americans only knowing one language gives us less job opportunities and chances to learn about cultures other than our own. And yes America is the land of the free, but it also needs to be the land of the well educated. If Americans are limited to the countries that we can converse with and further than that connect with, due to the cultural aspects that you learn when learning a new language, in the end we will lose opportunities to work with foreign companies that will find us ignorant and incompetent.

• It's not that hard to learn

I have learned a couple of languages and it was not that hard, just time consuming. I'm only 13 and i know four languages. I had to study alot but i wasen't upset i had to learn them it was really exciting. Students should learn a second language because it is entiresting and a lot of fun to learn.

• Yes Students should learn another language

Second languages are immensely helpful in the real world, as well as being something to brag about. Knowing another language also means immersing oneself in a different culture, allowing people to consider things that they always have in another manner. It has also been proven that learning a second language prevents Alzheimer's and is linked to higher IQ's and problem solving skills. All in all, the benefits of learning a second language outweighs the time-consuming process of learning it.
    I think that students should have to take a second language while in school. They do not have to become fluent, but one or two classes should be mandatory. Knowing a second language opens up many doors for students when they are done with school. Institutions should help those who want to learn get a start.
    Its a great opportunity Learning a second language is a great opportunity to get easy extra college credits. Many schools and colleges are requiring students to have taken at least one class in World languages to graduate. Its not like you cant choose what language you want to study. Let's say you want to go to France and you have no idea how to speak French. Most people there don't speak English and when you talk to them in English and not French they may think your completely crazy. It's a great way to be able to communicate with others around the world and in your community.

• Learning another language in school is a waste of precious time.

Kids have so much they need to learn in school as it is, such and reading, writing, spelling, grammar, math, science, history, civics, health, physical education, the arts, technology and business. Why should we include a subject that will give them limited skills. Research shows that the only way to learn a language properly is immersion. I have seen students study a language in school for 12 years, only to forget every thing they learned at school in the first semester of university.

• It should not be mandatory.

It should not be mandatory because time for extra curricular classes carves out time in required subjects like math, science, language arts, and English. Also, bringing language teachers costs more money for the county to pay the language teacher. Plus the majority of some schools students are ethnic, so many students speak a second language.

• It could be an option

It gets in the way of the kids life the kid has to worry about to many things It should be an option because kids have many other things to worry about in life and also All kids are different some kids cannot Memorise as many things as well as other can so is should be an option

• I strongly beleve studebts should not learn a Second language.

Because they could use the language in bad use like swearing and their is more important things to do at school like spelling maths and writing and if kids don't want to do it they will do very bad in it it will caus them stres and they will fail.

• It shouldn't be REQUIRED in school.

I go to a high school that requires me to take a Spanish class. If I don't then I cant technically graduate. If the school year is 180 days then I use a total of 9900 minutes in Spanish class or 165 hours. That's 165 hours I can use to keep my straight A report card. But now I have an AB and colleges aren't as interested in me anymore. Or I could've used the time to study chemistry or physics. Something to help in the future. You may say "you don't have to take Spanish specifically just a foreign language." Well what about all the schools with a cash flow deficit. They cant pay teachers to come and teach more courses. So all these schools only have one language to offer. (normally Spanish) I think it should be optional for the people who know that it will help in their future. AND CAN THE PEOPLE WHO DONT HAVE TO GO THROUGH SCHOOL FOR THIS PLEASE STOP POSTING. QUITE FRANKLY IT DOESNT INVOLVE YOU.

• Why should we learn

Another language for instance kids in middle school and high school have to be taught Spanish not because "when were older and travel to Spain or mexico we will understand there language" No the real reason we're taught Spanish is because the aliens that walk across the border the Mexicans should learn english

• No its honestly pointless

No Donald trump for president because that way if he becomes president we wouldn't be forced to have to learn a language of the people he is deporting as a requirement to graduate. Instead of having to learn a new language in order to graduate how about another core class in place of that garbage.

• No its honestly pointless

• I will show you something

Hook: I was working on ‘Should kids be forced to learn foreign languages at school.’ ‘I would say Student should not be forced to learn foreign languages.’ Because I experience doing it. I don’t wanted to learn arabic. But I was forced to learn it in school because it was their official language. But we usually use english in ISG International School. It’s in Jubail. I am experiencing it. Many person from other countries comes to ISG International School. I am korean. There is also Indian, France, African, American, etc.

Introduce the Issue: My topic was ‘Should kids be forced to learn foreign languages at school.’ I picked this topic because this was the topic I was interested the most and I had this question in my head many times. I am learning arabic in saudi and I am from south korea. I came to saudi because of my dad

State your position clearly: In my opinion I think they don’t need to be forced to learn foreign language in school.

Because if they don’t want to learn language they won’t learn fast. And if they do want to learn they will learn faster.
    And also they won’t even try to learn languages if they don’t want to learn it.

• It gets in the way or other academics

Would you rather fail a science mid term to study for spanish, or ace that mid term without worrying for a language quiz? Just saying......

It is completely irrelevant to be forced to learn a second language. Students should be focusing on other academics to get into college rather than an other language. ITS STUPID