Should students be required to live in dormitories during their first year of college?

• No, I leave for college next year and a dormitory sounds like the most miserable experience I an imagine.

People making noise and partying all night and keeping me awake. How am I supposed to study? And here is something else the 18 percent of Idiotic Moronic losers that said yes need to understand, for some people, peer pressure might be too much, and kids might follow the crowds and be exposed to bad influences.

• The College Experience

I think for college freshman, the best way for them to get to know the school and the environment they're going to be living in is to require them to live in dorms. Young people still need rules, and also, spending time in a dorm is part of the college experience.

• Students should be required to live in dorms the first year of college, because most still need the discipline of having rules to abide by.

Young people given too much freedom, too soon, tend to make bad judgements that can affect not only their education, but their lives. A transition period is appropriate for both social and financial reasons. In a dorm setting, they still have many freedoms that they didn't have at home, but there is still some structure.

Posted by: ExoticCletus60
  • The success in transitioning between high school and college can define the students' ability to succeed in their future.

I strongly believe all students should be required to live in their college's dormitories during the first year because it allows them to network with other students and gain useful information to succeed.

It has been shown through various social science studies that students with strong networking skills prove to be more successful in their careers as opposed to independent and isolated individuals. Additionally, networking can provide students the experience that they may be lacking in other areas and prepare them for unknown situations and how to deal with them. There is no better method to obtain knowledge for lifelong success than living with career-oriented colleagues.

Posted by: Charlie Ingram
  • During their first year of college, students definitely should live in a dormitory. It is hard enough to adjust to college like without having the added stress of maintaining an apartment or house also.

When living in a dormitory, the student has the added advantage of being able to eat there just like at home. The food probably isn't as good, but at least they know they have food available when they want it, rather than having to take time to prepare it also. Knowing they have a warm place to live, eat, study, sleep, have companionship and be safe can be a great comfort that first year. Off campus activities can be a great distraction before they have settled into the college routine.

Posted by: BMaritza
  • I agree students should live in college dormitories during their first year because it allows them to make social connections that will be beneficial throughout their life.

Students who live in college dormitories during their first year I believe are more socially prepared for life. One reason for this is that students learn what it is like to live away from home and their parents. They begin to learn self responsibility as well as fiscal responsibility. Secondly, students will meet many new people who may be taking similar classes and other students who have the same interests. These are all important social connections to make as a young adult. The friends a person makes in college will often be friends for life, which is something that can be hard to find.

Posted by: BabyBoo
  • D dd d d

So i can rap people bhbjkenhaslfhskfhsljsdlhflshfshoghsdihgsdhgiodshgnksdg sfdskjgbksdgksd gksdjbg sdgdskjgbsd f dsf d dd d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d dd

• No no no

No non nkinob f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f g r wth jr n ruei p jb l bg ,.Gh bghr rbght rhgjk hrl h hr hr hrk h rgh rh hek ekhurb ueb ue e

• No no no

• Most are not ready to fully live on their own

Living in the dorms may not be the greatest thing, with a lot of negatives, but it provides some structure and frees the student from a bunch of things like having to clean their own bathrooms, cook their own food, and it provides them a little extra time to get into a routine for like studying. It provides many opportunities the student can take advantage of, if they have any common sense.

• Not everyone is at the same maturity level or personal study skills.

Not all students are at the same maturity level in terms of social skills, and peer relationships. For some, it may take another 3-4 years before they are ready. If parents are willing to house their child for some more time, why should the college have any objection as long as the child maintains academic excellence? Isn't that the primary goal of going to college? Some students get easily distracted, and may thrive better with less distractions at home, and can do academically better. It should really be a matter of personal choice. Strongly recommend optional housing requirements.

• The rationale behind these requirements is erroneous.

My personal off-campus living arrangement is only 10 minutes away from campus. On top of this it is cost free to me because the property is owned by my grandparents who offered to pay the bills. Apart from the free aspect of this arrangement it is very similar to other student's who choose to live off campus. For me and for many others, I choose to spend most of my time walking around campus or studying in the library. I, in no way, feel as though I am socially disconnected from my peers. I have multiple strong relationships with classmates. I also participate in my desired amount of clubs and other student organizations.
    To add, the benefits of living off campus include: having a private place (less so with roommates), if you have roommates you can choose who they are (if your are the one officially renting), a more comprehensive feeling of living in the "real" world, and finally, having more freedom in pretty much every aspect.

• Forcing is Bad

Someone, a parent especially, should not force their child to live in a dorm. The child knows what is best for them, especially if they have had roommates before. If they do not get along with others, you are just making it worse. Private space and alone time is best.

• I do not support

IN my opinion I believe that being there is bullshit as fuck you live there with 3 people and they stink as fuck and takes shit every where also there a pain in the ass also they get drunk and smoke weed and cigarettes also have coke with cocaine. That what I need ton say bitches.

• No i dont

No i do not want to because some of us do not want to live with someone and we kind of want some private places. And some where quiet to live and have more freedom to go to places that we want to go to.Then we could have more fun in public than school.

• Not everyone needs help with the social aspect of college

There is no logical reason for colleges to force Freshman to live in the dorms. These are kids that are struggling enough just to pay tuition, so why make them pay for the way too expensive dorms along with (usually) a required meal plan that is priced ludicrously. I don't understand the point. This is basically showing that the colleges care more about getting money from their students than the students succeeding in college. Kids that live in the dorms have to work more hours to pay for the expenses. More hours at work has a directly negative correlation with grades.

• No no no

• No no no

• What is the world really coming to???

I get the general reason behind it. Apparently, studies have shown that students who live on campus the first year are supposedly more successful by far than those who commute or live off campus. However, I don't see the full logic on this conception because although students could do better while living on campus, everyone has their own mindset. One is going to either do the work and strive for success or not. Not forgetting to mention, isn't it common for lots of freshman to get in school and do the wrong things such as skipping classes, partying excessively, doing drugs, etc., and for some that's the case throughout a college career, that's if they don't end dropping out or getting expelled. I guess the whole reason for mandatory housing could have some effect, but overall it just depends on the students and knowing how to balance different aspects of being out of high school, possibly out of the parents' home, and attending college. This whole idea of such a requirement is also linked to other circumstances. Mandatory housing also means mandatory shots, and a mandatory spending of extra money. It's like gradually we are becoming more and more forced into things that should remain optional or shouldn't even exist. Like some others have already mentioned, generally not everyone are in the same position when it comes to a variety of factors including: financial status, closeness to home, personal reasons, or other personal circumstances one has going on in their life. And when it comes to money, basically they're like, "forget about your money saving plans", we just want your money, and following any other behind the scene happenings, not really knowing if you're actually going to succeed and take up the field or career you went to school for. This also means more loans to some degree, maybe more unnecessary debt. Some people prefer housing and some do not and for different reasons as to why or why not. Leave it how it was, after all there's lots of students who've went to university, lived on campus, and still had problems regarding different things and when they graduate little jobs are actually available. What's really going on?, but that question goes into a different more vast topic...

• What is this world going into???

I get the general reason behind it. Apparently, studies have shown that students who live on campus the first year are supposedly more successful by far than those who commute or live off campus. However, I don't see the full logic on this conception because although students could do better while living on campus, everyone has there own mindset. One is going to either do the work and strive for success or not. Not forgetting to mention, isn't it common for lots of freshman to get in school and do the wrong things such as skipping classes, partying excessively, doing drugs, etc., and for some that's the case throughout a college career, that's if they don't end dropping out or getting expelled. I guess the whole reason for mandatory housing could have some effect, but overall it just depends on the students and knowing how to balance different aspects of being out of high school, possibly out of the parents' home, and attending college. This whole idea of such a requirement is also linked to other circumstances. Mandatory housing also means mandatory shots, and a mandatory spending of extra money. It's like gradually we are becoming more and more forced into things that should remain optional or shouldn't even exist. Like some others have already mentioned, generally not everyone are in the same position when it comes to a variety of factors including: financial status, closeness to home, personal reasons, or other personal circumstances one has going on in their life. And when it comes to money, basically their like, "forget about your money saving plans", we just want your money, and following any other behind the scene happenings, not really knowing if your actually going to succeed and take up the field or career you went to school for. Some people prefer housing and some do not and for different reasons as to why or why not. Leave it how it was, after all there's lots of students who've went to university, lived on campus, and still had problems regarding different things and when they graduate little jobs actually available. What's really going on?, but that question goes into a different more vast topic...