Should students be required to say the Pledge of Allegiance regardless of their personal background?

• Yes, it is national pledge.

If you are black, white, yellow, atheist, Christian, Muslim, or any other race, gender, or ethnicity, and you are a citizen of the United State of America, you should be required to cite and say the Pledge of Allegiance to your country, your people, and the founders of this nation.

• Say it or Leave!

If you don't want to say the USA's pledge, then dont be in America, plain and simple. In 1953, Louis Rabaut, a democrat from Michigan sponsored a resolution to add the words "under God" to the Pledge. It failed. But by then, the decision was up to President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Recently baptized as a Presbyterian, he heard a sermon, arguing the words "under God" from Lincoln's speech set the United States apart from others as a nation. At the time, the Cold War was gaining steam, and Eisenhower was fighting communism across the globe.

The next day, the president encouraged Charles Oakman, a republican also from Michigan, to re-introduce the bill, which Congress passed. Eisenhower signed it into law on June 14, 1954. A story announcing the news in the Washington Post quoted him as saying the new version would add "spiritual weapons which will forever be our country's most powerful

• As a Canadian...

I find the pledge of allegiance to be a strange tradition. Since moving to canada, I have never sung the national anthem (I was born an Aussie) because I feel no need to - I'm not actually unwaveringly loyal to this country. In America, these strange mannerisms are amplified. I think even 'purely' American students shouldn't have to pledge allegiance to ideals they might not agree with, and nor should anyone else.

• No, it should not be a requirement.

I, as a proud American, love the pledge of allegiance--with the exception of the word god being thrown into the mix. This is supposed to be the land of the free, so let's act like it is and make it the land of the free. We should not be forced to say anything.

• Students should not be required to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Students should not be required to say the Pledge of Allegiance regardless of their personal background. No person should be required to say anything or speak out for anything no matter what. The US was founded on freedom of speech and that freedom should extend to the freedom if choosing not to speak as well.

• No, students should not have to say the Pledge of Allegiance

Children should not have to say the Pledge of Allegiance because it can be viewed as a form of nationalism and propaganda. Many Americans and parents may not hold strong nationalist views and would prefer their child be accepting of all nations and people. Children should not have to say pledge of alliance if they do not understand what it means.

• No They Shouldn't

I do not believe students should be required to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Their backgrounds shouldn't matter at all. From my experience children aren't forced they can chose not to simply by not reciting the words, but rather being quiet and respectful while everyone else does it. Students shouldn't be forced.