Should students be required to stand up and say the Pledge of Allegiance?

Asked by: charrison
  • If you live in USA you should support it

I think that if you are American you should have to stand up and pledge your allegence to the country because if you dont that means that you might not like USA and your parents are probley planning to do something bad and are either mad at USA or tell there children to be bad.

• Support your country

If you live here you should show respect for the soldiers who died and fought in the war so that you can be free to live your life, then you should at least stand. Saying "under God" could offend people, which is understandable, but at least stand and show respect for the soldiers who died so that you can enjoy your rights!

• Students should be required to stand up, but not required to say the Pledge.

I believe that students should be required to stand up (if they are physically able to do so) during the Pledge, but they should not be required to say the Pledge. If a student's beliefs prohibit him or her from reciting the Pledge, they should not be forced to say it. However, requiring a student to stand while others recite the Pledge does not infringe on their beliefs, but rather shows reverence and respect that everyone should be afforded. I also believe that a student should be able to intellectually express their reasoning and beliefs for not reciting the Pledge if they choose not to do so.

• Yes, you should stand up

If you live in America you should support the american flag. It is a patriotic symbol of our freedom. It means that we stood up for our right of freedom. We didn't back down from the fight for our freedom. We should support the people that died for our freedom by standing up for the pledge!

• Rise to the occasion, don't sit on your ass.

I'm adding an opinion just to get the "yes" percentage way higher up. All that I need to say is already said. I agree with the fellow "yes" comments. I will add that if you sit down during the pledge of allegiance, you are not actually pledging your allegiance thus you are traitor by definition and a hater by default. Always remember this, there are other countries that do not require you to stand for it... You can go sit down or kneel there if you would like.

• America land of the free

America is the land of the free, now stand up and say these words or we will make you stand up and say these words. If we don't force people to stand up and say these words how will they ever understand freedom ?

In America your the most free people on earth, I mean they keep telling you how free you are so it must be true, how else would you know how free you are unless you are constantly reminded how free you are ?

• Students should be required to stand up and salute the flag ,but not say the allegiance.

The United States grants so much freedom to the individual. That showing proper respect to our flag should be shown. A salute to the flag is the most respectful thing we can do. No matter what you believe in The United States grants you the freedom to believe that so we should make students stand and salute the flag.

• Dont stand for something you dont believe in

The words of the pledge alone are insensitive to the mass. It says in the pledge. "One nation under god." This is just wrong. The people of america should be able to stand up for anything they belive in. Not just one god who rules over all of the country.

• Yes, They should.

I know that some kids don't believe in god, but you still should at least stand up, or cut out the line "Under god" The american flag is an important part of the usa and if somebody sits down, it would be unpatriotic. Some people make arguments about shy people, but I used to be shy, and I still sung it!

• What about Religion?

It says "one nation under god," in the pledge. Even though I do believe in god, I know that some others don't, and I respect that. In fact, we all should, so that is why it is wrong to force a student to stand and recite the pledge if they would prefer not to.

• It shouldn't be required

Nowadays, schools are so diverse, and have students of all different religions and races. The pledge intelligence is pledging to god, though at my school there are many people of other religions that do not believe in one God. Also, it is pledging to supporting America, though many students may not like America, and be required to pledge to it. First amendment rights.

• I say NOOOOOOOO

I say no and kids would say no because what kid wants to say the pledge of allegiance in school? It would be boring to sing that in school. School is a place for kids to learn not sing. Also, some kids are shy, only a jerk would make a shy person sing that even if they don't want to.

• Not all students are religious

Students who don't believe in god may feel uncomfortable reciting the part that says "Under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" because it mentions that we are all "under God" and that because of that, we are "indivisible", and that may be odd for them. Thank you all.

• Not all students are religious

• The 'yes' Hypocrites

Soldiers fought for our freedom, correct? I see many using that as an excuse as to why citizens should be FORCED to stand up and recite words. It's absolutely and completely hypocritical.
    Soldiers fought for us to do what we want (I don't mean immoral acts, such as murder and thievery, so don't even try). If you are forcing kids to stand up and recite words, you are taking away the very right the soldiers fought for them to have.
    I can't believe you people don't recognize how incredibly hypocritical that is.

• I'm saying Noooooooooooooooo

With or without the words under God, the Pledge of Allegiance is still a bad idea. Here s why. It was an American socialist certainly no friend of the U.S. Constitution who created the Pledge for a national magazine for young people published in Boston. We have the freedom of speak. It's called the First Amendment to the United States Constitution codifies the freedom of speech as a constitutional right. And also we all don't all pray or even have the same god.

• Non-citizens should not be required to.

Visiting students should not be required to stand and pledge allegiance to the United States. Although, non-citizens should not be permitted to go to public schools (K-12 in US). Public schools are built for educating US citizens and are primarily funded from local property taxes (paid for by home owners).

• We have freedom

Kids should not be forced to stand up to the pledge of the allegiance because they have freedom to. Different kids are raised differently so if they were raised not to stand up for the pledge of the allegiance. Even if they were born in the United States their parents maybe were raised in a different country.

• No one should be required to show respect to any symbol.

Students should not be required to either say the pledge of allegiance or stand when it is being recited. Although personally I stand and say the pledge everyday I believe it is a right that no be required to show respect to any symbol of authority. If we are required to show respect to any symbol I fear that is a very slippery slope to a Orwellian government such as the one seen in 1984. How would this question be perceived if if asked if all student activities must stop so that a Muslim could pray in silence at their prayer times. How would this question be perceived if all students were told to be silent as the teacher recited to Lord's Prayer?

pett.debater says2017-11-20T04:25:21.833
Yes absolutely. Those children live in america, therefore they should show respect for their country. Not standing and “taking a knee” isn’t much of a protest, it’s more like disgusting, disrespectful behavior. You live in america, show some respect for the people who have died so that you could be where you are now. Respect our military and its gift to us; this amazing country.
Benjiboy960 says2018-02-02T18:00:04.120
If your don't care enough about the freedoms you enjoy, get out of America. See how the other countries are doing. Once you are willing to stand, then your can come back.

Plus, this isn't offensive at all. Saying "God" once doesn't automatically convert children. Half of them don't even know what they're saying.