Should students be required to stand up and say the Pledge of Allegiance?

Asked by: charrison
  • If you live in USA you should support it

I think that if you are American you should have to stand up and pledge your allegence to the country because if you dont that means that you might not like USA and your parents are probley planning to do something bad and are either mad at USA or tell there children to be bad.

• Support your country

If you live here you should show respect for the soldiers who died and fought in the war so that you can be free to live your life, then you should at least stand. Saying "under God" could offend people, which is understandable, but at least stand and show respect for the soldiers who died so that you can enjoy your rights!

• Students should be required to stand up, but not required to say the Pledge.

I believe that students should be required to stand up (if they are physically able to do so) during the Pledge, but they should not be required to say the Pledge. If a student's beliefs prohibit him or her from reciting the Pledge, they should not be forced to say it. However, requiring a student to stand while others recite the Pledge does not infringe on their beliefs, but rather shows reverence and respect that everyone should be afforded. I also believe that a student should be able to intellectually express their reasoning and beliefs for not reciting the Pledge if they choose not to do so.

• Dont stand for something you dont believe in

The words of the pledge alone are insensitive to the mass. It says in the pledge. "One nation under god." This is just wrong. The people of america should be able to stand up for anything they belive in. Not just one god who rules over all of the country.

• Yes, you should stand up

If you live in America you should support the american flag. It is a patriotic symbol of our freedom. It means that we stood up for our right of freedom. We didn't back down from the fight for our freedom. We should support the people that died for our freedom by standing up for the pledge!

• Rise to the occasion, don't sit on your ass.

I'm adding an opinion just to get the "yes" percentage way higher up. All that I need to say is already said. I agree with the fellow "yes" comments. I will add that if you sit down during the pledge of allegiance, you are not actually pledging your allegiance thus you are traitor by definition and a hater by default. Always remember this, there are other countries that do not require you to stand for it... You can go sit down or kneel there if you would like.

• Patriotism at its finest

Everyone has their own beliefs, and America allows us to keep them. That's the beauty of it! Our country allows us to stand up and say the pledge if we so choose. It’s showing a way to salute our country. It may say one nation under god, but I see it as a way to show that everyone is united under one principle of liberty and freedom.
    America!

• Patriotism at its finest

Everyone has their own beliefs, and America allows us to keep them. That's the beauty of it! Our country allows us to stand up and say the pledge if we so choose. It’s showing a way to salute our country. It may say one nation under god, but I see it as a way to show that everyone is united under one principle of liberty and freedom. America!

• Respect to our country

If you live in the United States, you should automatically stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. It is not just paying respect to our country, it is also paying a huge amount of respect towards our military and what they risk their lives to do to keep our freedom. Our country is one of the greatest countries in the world and people disrespect it all the time by not standing or say the pledge. In my opinion standing for the pledge shows a great amount of appreciation and respect that people have for our country.

• Yes, They should.

I know that some kids don't believe in god, but you still should at least stand up, or cut out the line "Under god" The american flag is an important part of the usa and if somebody sits down, it would be unpatriotic. Some people make arguments about shy people, but I used to be shy, and I still sung it!

• It shouldn't be required

Nowadays, schools are so diverse, and have students of all different religions and races. The pledge intelligence is pledging to god, though at my school there are many people of other religions that do not believe in one God. Also, it is pledging to supporting America, though many students may not like America, and be required to pledge to it. First amendment rights.

• I say NOOOOOOOO

I say no and kids would say no because what kid wants to say the pledge of allegiance in school? It would be boring to sing that in school. School is a place for kids to learn not sing. Also, some kids are shy, only a jerk would make a shy person sing that even if they don't want to.

• I'm saying Noooooooooooooooo

With or without the words under God, the Pledge of Allegiance is still a bad idea. Here s why. It was an American socialist certainly no friend of the U.S. Constitution who created the Pledge for a national magazine for young people published in Boston. We have the freedom of speak. It's called the First Amendment to the United States Constitution codifies the freedom of speech as a constitutional right. And also we all don't all pray or even have the same god.

• Not all students are religious

Students who don't believe in god may feel uncomfortable reciting the part that says "Under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" because it mentions that we are all "under God" and that because of that, we are "indivisible", and that may be odd for them. Thank you all.

• Not all students are religious

• We have freedom

Kids should not be forced to stand up to the pledge of the allegiance because they have freedom to. Different kids are raised differently so if they were raised not to stand up for the pledge of the allegiance. Even if they were born in the United States their parents maybe were raised in a different country.

• Freedom of expression

Freedom of expression extends not just to verbal speech, but to non-verbal expression, too. Each student has as much of a right to choose to not stand up or say the pledge as the other students do to choose to stand up and say the pledge. Freedom of expression forbids this.

• No one should be required to show respect to any symbol.

Students should not be required to either say the pledge of allegiance or stand when it is being recited. Although personally I stand and say the pledge everyday I believe it is a right that no be required to show respect to any symbol of authority. If we are required to show respect to any symbol I fear that is a very slippery slope to a Orwellian government such as the one seen in 1984. How would this question be perceived if if asked if all student activities must stop so that a Muslim could pray in silence at their prayer times. How would this question be perceived if all students were told to be silent as the teacher recited to Lord's Prayer?

• It's an authoritarian concept.

The whole idea behind the pledge of allegiance is submission and compliance to a system that is open to changes. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but I refuse to follow it blindly. I appreciate the soldiers who have died for our country, but the pledge, to me, has nothing to do with that. I am happy with my country as of right now, but because the US is a democracy that can change over time, the way things are now may change, and I may oppose those changes some day. I don't pledge my allegiance because I cannot guarantee that I will always be loyal to my country. The United States can change very drastically. It would be very unlikely, of course, but there still is a chance. Maybe one day we'll elect a psychopathic dictator, and I refuse to pledge allegiance to that. Pledging allegiance to a system that is susceptible to change is foolish, because you don't know what things might be like in the future. If you want to say the pledge, that's fine, but don't try to make others do the same.