Should students be required to take elective classes in high school?

Asked by: Hannahlol
  • You could always put requirements in electives ... But make it fun

So OK I get that some people don't want or need electives, but not everyone wants that opinion. You could always make the class fun and put some requirements into the class and make it count as a credit that you need. Like photography counts as a art credit and here at school we have career choices make the classes fun and kids will stop complaining.

• A well rounded student is best

Students should be well rounded and able to quickly adapt to changing environment. If students lack a sense of imagination, the United States won't be able to compete on the global market. China has this issue when it comes to manufacturing, they can copy any product but not design one themselves.

• Yes they should.

I personally always enjoyed that I was required to take elective classes in high school. It broke up the monotomy of taking math and history classes and it allowed some fun to be have during school in electives like art or gym. I think most students like them so keeping the requirement is good.

• Concentrate more in your core class

You going to have better grades. The student will improve more. It wont make a child stress if they have a music test or a art quiz. Its pointless why should we even take it. It really a waste of time and its not gonna help in the future. Leave a like if you agree. Peace

• Doesnt beneifit all students

Some students do benefit from having elective courses, butnot all. So why should every student have to do something that is ony going to benefit some. Also some students really suffer from doing elective classes, they miss out on valuable study/work time for core classes, and some just arent good at those elective classes and there grades suffer.

• It's an excuse to make the school day longer

I personally think electives are just a bullsh*t excuse to make the school day longer and that they also take away the point of school along with the ultimate bullsh*t grading system made by William Perish. Although I am not in high school, my middle school still has electives and I can save more than an hour of time if it wasn't for electives. Maybe 1 elective at schools will be enough.

• It is an excuse to make the school day longer

I personally think electives are just a bullsh*t excuse to make the school day longer and that they also take away the point of school along with the ultimate bullsh*t grading system made by William Perish. Although I am not in high school, my middle school still has electives and I can save more than an hour of time if it wasn't for electives. Maybe 1 elective at my school will be enough.

• Extremely Stressful for some people

I hated electives. They wasted my time and they'd be no use. I suffer from anxiety and it's not worth the trouble. Why should kids suffer miserably for nothing? I doubt they'd be useful unless you want to pursue a music or art career, but you like those. I say students shouldn't have to take electives, or at least something so students who suffer from anxiety don't have to. Like an exception.

• It is a waste of time

Students waste their time taking classes such as Art and Band when they could be home doing homework or studying for the next test or better yet catching up on sleep which, if you did research, sleep improves student grades. Also, students that have more free time can focas on extra-curricular activities. Finally, most highly ranked colleges do not even look at the elective classes in high school.