Should students face criminal charges for offenses committed on school ground?

• Treat them the same

If you do not treat the child how an adult is treated when they commit a crime, they won't understand the value of consequences. Think, if it was an adult they would be jailed. Although they are children they need to learn the value of consequences #Stopspoilingchildren #TEACHTHEMWHATISRIGHTANDTHEVALUEOFCONSEQUENCES. Case rested.

• A crime is a crime.

If a student commits a crime on the premises of the schools there is no reason that this person should be ignored by the law. A crime is a crime, no matter the location. Using illegal drugs, bullying other children, defacing school property are all crimes, and should be treated accordingly. Whether the offender is tried as a minor or an adult is a different question but there is no reason that they should evade the legal system if they find themselves in a school.

• A crime is a crime.

• Yes but with a caveat

Crime is crime on or off school grounds. However, there is a disturbing trend of applying criminal law to ordinary childhood immaturity and misbehavior. For instance, disrupting class or mere insubordination does NOT and should NOT be something that is in criminal law. Instead the law should hold school officials responsible for using school disciplinary procedures such as detention and at the extreme, expulsion to effectively respond to class disruption and insubordination, with broad but not absolute discretion in what school disciplinary measures to take.

• Depends on certain factors

I feel students should face criminal charges depending on certain factors...Like age (if they are old enough to be tried as a adult), the severity of the crime, and/or if they are a repeated offender, etc. I feel the school should find other ways of punishments or interventions (especially if the situations are minor or non violent) like suspension, detention, write ups, counseling, therapy, anger management, etc. first before getting the law involved. At the end of the day these are children. They make mistakes.

• WHY shouldn't they?

Students need to be taught a lesson. If they commit a crime and don't get punished, what will stop them from doing it again? The idea to not charge them is crazy!! And why should kids not be charged when they're on a school ground? Any crime is a crime no matter where it is committed.

• Students should be held accountable

Students should be held accountable for their actions, no matter their age and no matter where the offense occurred. It it is a serious offense, then the student should be charged with a crime. Kids need to learn from an early age that there are serious consequences to their actions.

• Crimes are Crimes Regardless of Location

Yes, I think that students should face criminal charges for offenses committed on campuses. It doesn't matter where you murder someone - it's murder. It doesn't matter where you steal from - that's thievery. Therefore, it should matter where the students were at the time of the crime. It is still a crime.

• Students should face criminal charges for offenses

Students should face criminal charges for offenses committed on school grounds. These crimes are particularly worrisome since it is against youth, some are even minors. Schools must be a safe zone, and students and parents should have the confidence in their security. Punishment will serve as a deterrent for others.

• Whats wring with you people

Think about your kids if your kids were a when they were going to get in trouble with the law you would be whinging and talking about don't take my children to jail and I feel like kids should not be going to jail simple because they would be in that mindsets of jail is good and I been there before so its not that bad its better to let them free.

• Prision is for reoforming

Everyone deserves a second chance, and the original reason for prison is to reform criminals. By killing the person, we are not doing any good to the prisoners and our missing a chance to help somebody. Reforming has shown to work as well in other countries, while America has the hgihest rate of killing prisoners under the death penalty.

• Ridiculous! Let children be children

The period of life where you make most mistakes is as of a child. Children learn from making mistakes, they learn and improve their emotions and it keeps a healthy brain. I think it's absolutely stupid how children should be put in jail for an offence caused in school where they're learning, improving and making sure it doesn't happen again.

• Whats wring with you people

• Depends on the offense

Unless the offense is extremely violent, or if it's repeated more than once, I don't think there is any need to press criminal charges. Criminal charges can really ruin a person future, and I don't think a kid should receive criminal charges for something small, ex. A little fist fight.

percyj says2016-05-04T20:35:57.287
For those of you who say no, what about the serious crimes?