Should Students Have More Rights in School?

Asked by: Mr_Rife
  • Yes. Just yes.

Students should get more rights. You may not see it now, but the U.S. is facing discrimination against age. And in not just school, kids should get more rights in GENERAL. And don't say that students have enough rights. We don't have enough rights. We need almost as many rights as adults. Prove me wrong.

• Yes we do

We need more rights. It´s not really fair that we are forced to go to school and have no power over that. We spend 12 grades in school. We have all these assignments to do + homework+ testing. Students are REALLY powerless and it´s fair. Fact: Stress takes years off from your life.

• A gay rights protest in Moscow, June 2017 A gay rights protest in Moscow, June 2017

At Perm’s only LGBT support group, members say the law against “gay propaganda” has made life harder.

About 15 people have turned up for a weekly discussion. The topic this time is famous gay figures in history, and afterwards the group talk about taking strength from the reminder that they’re not alone. Among them are several psychologists who work with the centre to offer counselling.

They don’t want the group’s location revealed. There is no sign on the door. “In this climate, that’s impossible,” says one woman.

The propaganda law has particularly complicated life for those working in education. One of the young women in the group describes panic when it passed, a fear that even saying the word “gay” could get you fined thousands of roubles. Another says people think homosexuality is a “disease which can be passed on”.

A gay rights protest in Moscow, June 2017

A trainee teacher reveals that she masks her sexuality on social media so her students won’t realise. “I portray myself as straight and I have a male friend who I post pictures with, like we’re a couple,” she admits. “That way I can’t be accused of propaganda.”

The atmosphere in the room is warm and relaxed - it is decked out with rainbow flags and leaflets. But security cameras on the walls are a reminder of a shattering day. Two years ago - at a previous premises - the centre was raided by more than a dozen police. They came to check the group’s activity was in line with the propaganda law.

“It was humiliating,” a woman who was there says quietly, asking not to be named. “They treated us like we were an illegal group. Here we help people through complex situations. We think society needs us. But to them we are scum.”

After the police raid they were kicked out of their building - the landlady said she didn’t agree with homosexuality. The group now exists only on donations, unable to apply for Western grants because that means being branded a “foreign agent”. The foreign agents law, like the gay propaganda bill, was signed by President Putin during his most recent term.

Last May, the Perm LGBT group made a small step forward when they got permission for a public gathering on international anti-homophobia day. Some 30 people with rainbow balloons were guarded by 20 police. Their hope is to build on that and emerge slowly from the shadows.

Things are tolerable now - that means they don’t kill us”

When I visit Nadia at the flat she’s been sharing with Masha for two years, she tells me she’d love to live openly like she’s heard is possible in Europe. “I’d love for being gay to be as natural as any other relationship,” she says. But here, deep in the Russian provinces, few want to risk pushing for that.

• Students have enough rights for now.

The responsibility of students is to learn and get an education. If students had more rights to use in the classroom, it could make the job of educators much more difficult. Imagine sitting in a classroom with students being disruptive and saying anything that came to mind, and that teacher was powerless to stop them. For some, this would be a dream come true, but for others it would be an impossible learning environment. Students need to understand that they already have some level of privacy, free speech, and expression. However, the goal of the school is for students to learn, and the abuse of personal liberty can negatively affect the learning of those around them.