Should Students Have Say In What They Wish To Learn

Asked by: HenryBoBenry004
  • Yes they should

Although they will need their teacher's consent, I think that students should be able to learn what they wish because then they would be interested in the things they learn in school. Say a kid knows that he wants to be a fiction writer. Then he should be more involved in reading and writing classes than math and science.

• Yes they should

I think there should still be basics which are core classes, but I think those classes need to be improved. I do not believe students should be forced into taking art and music classes. Instead of those choices, alternatives should be forced such as classes that teach ho to balance a checkbook or learning how to write a resume. Math, science, English, foreign language, and writing all need to be forced, but I think students should have the option to opt out of art and music classes and apply to classes that will benefit you in the future.

• Kids are not idiots

Most people as a child always questioned everything around them trying to discover what was beyond their reach. They find creative ways to solving problems, and begin to develop their brains from there on; sooner or later they want to reach a goal for the future.
    So when children start to attend school, they should not arrive home with everything they have to learn because the "government said so", but they should be filled with joy when they arrive at school getting guidance and pursuing their interests.
    Students should have choice on what they want to learn.

• Come on now...

Most students these days are mostly bored af when they go to school, complaining that what they learn in class is not applicable in the real world. And they are for the most part right. Most things learned in a students science, math, history, and English classes wont be used when they get out of school unless they are going to a more advanced class or going into a field of work involving one or more of the subjects learned such as being a teacher or a scientist or mathematician. We all learn how to read in elementary school and also learn basic grammar. In middle school we go into a better education of poetry and vocabulary. After that, all we do is learn the same thing for 4 more years in a row in high school (trust me, i know). For math, you get more and more advanced. Same with science. And for history, all you do is learn a different section of history every year. Basically, my point is that you should be able to pick what you want to pursue in highschool. I think that mostly, elementary and middle school education is needed for basic knowledge. Any education above that needs to be used to pursue what you want to do for your lifetime or temporary career.

• Come on now...

• Come on now...

Most students these days are mostly bored af when they go to school, complaining that what they learn in class is not applicable in the real world. And they are for the most part right. Most things learned in a students science, math, history, and English classes wont be used when they get out of school unless they are going to a more advanced class or going into a field of work involving one or more of the subjects learned such as being a teacher or a scientist or mathematician. We all learn how to read in elementary school and also learn basic grammar. In middle school we go into a better education of poetry and vocabulary. After that, all we do is learn the same thing for 4 more years in a row in high school (trust me, i know). For math, you get more and more advanced. Same with science. And for history, all you do is learn a different section of history every year. Basically, my point is that you should be able to pick what you want to pursue in highschool. I think that mostly, elementary and middle school education is needed for basic knowledge. High school needs to be used for career. GTG :)

• Unfortunately not, no.

As boring as the generic subjects may be to some, with the choice to learn whatever there would be chaos. If there's a choice, most young kids will probably just choose to learn art and stuff without realising how little this will help in the future. They have no idea whether reading and writing will help them, and they would probably choose not to. And without basic maths, kids'll be unable to learn much more, and without English, which even I find boring, most will be unable to learn at all.

• What students learn is pointless

When on a daily basis does one use algebra 2 if one is not actively involved in an occupation using specific math? We use on a daily basis almost none of the information we have learned in high school, yet if students learned things that are applicable in school and things that would grow in the areas that they love already. This would benefit everyone. Students think about the future.

• Children don't think ahead.

Ask any child if they want to sit down and study math, read a book, or learn how to write. Most would say "no" and rather do whatever strikes them as "fun" at the moment. As boring and repetitive as some of the listed subjects can be to learn, they're also necessary to be a functional adult in society.

Learning new skills only gets harder with age, so it is essential that the foundations for future skill development are made while children are still young.