Should students have to pass a basic skills test to graduate high school?

• No i do not agree.

Students should not have to pass a test to graduate. In my school, you have to do 75 hours of community service to graduate. As a senior you need to pass a senior project in order to graduate. WE DO NOT NEED TO PASS A TEST. We need to get good grades as it is to pass classes and we have enough tests.

• Yes they should have to pass a basic skills test to graduate high school

Yes they should because they might forget what they had learned. And if they have children and there children ask what to do they will need to help them and if they don't know what to do they could give him/her the wrong answer. On other reason why is because they will need a job and if they didn't pass the test and the job goes back and checks ur degree to see if they want you they won't hire you because you didn't pass ti

• Yes they shoulg

Students with out basic skills have no place in the adult world or out of high school. The adult world is depending on the high schoolers today. If we want them to lead our country we have laid down for them then we need to know what they are capable of!

• Yes they shoulg

• Absolutely in agreement.

There are actually plenty of examples in the disagreement section of this poll. Poor grammar, bad spelling, incorrect use of "your and you're" and also "there, their, and they're". If we expect our future generations to essentially run the world we have built for them, I for one would like them to be better educated. I refuse to hand important decisions off to the next generation if they are unable to discern the difference between their and there. If there is no common sense in our future generations, how can we expect them to make important and potentially lethal decisions and actions? We can't. A basic skills test would show the school just exactly what they are dealing with. It does not determine intelligence nor would it help in job placement, but it would leave the child ready to take on the world.

• Yes I agree

I think they should have to pas a basic test to graduate from high school, cause if they don't they may never end up with good paying jobs. I know this because I am right now trying to get my high school diploma right now and I know its hard to get jobs without it.

• Education put to the test

Lots of classes will take completion assignments for attempting. In life you have to try a little harder than that. The basic skills test will also help show which schools are meeting a mark. If students cannot pass a basic test then they do not deserve a diploma. This will help them in the long run.

• Yes they should have to pass a basic skills test

If we don't know the basic skills then how will we ever get anywhere. There are already enough uneducated young adults (18-30) out there eventually America wont even be on the charts for education but learning all the basics and advancing from there. If we don't get smart then well go the other way.

• Yes they should.

Because if they don't they might forget what they learned in their freshmen year of high school. So this test would ensure that they remember what they learned so they can still use those skills they learned earlier on in high school. That way they can be successful in life.

• Should students have to take a basic skills test to Graduate High School???

I say Yes because diplomas mean something and it's important to take a test so u can remember everything for college. Also teachers want to know if there students learned and didn't just slack off at school. Students also should be able to remember everything they learned. People should take a test and it should never be canceled.

• No no no!!!!!!!!

Because they may not good test takers. Alongside with the fact that not everyone is good at taking test but understand the subject What if a student struggles because they are not good test takers but can pass every class that they were in. I am not good with test but I have passed every class that I ever been in. When it comes down to taking a test, my brain shuts down so I would not want to go through high school making A's and B's and this test tells me I can not graduate because I did not pass. There are other outside factors that can affect the test results. For example, not enough sleep, anxiety, having family problems.

• No we do not

No students already have enough classes and tests and stress! Putting that huge test on them creates way more stress and they already have so much of it. In my school you need to do 20 hours of community service and SAT's and I'm already taking SAT's prep and that's stress enough!

• No no no

Many students are very smart but they have bad testing habits. Test always get everyone nervous and sometimes even if you know everything you may not be able to perform well on the test. Mercy College of Ohio has stated that sometimes students perform badly on tests for reasons other than lack of preparation. The university calls it test anxiety.
    Since there is no one test that fits all some students may find themselves struggling with the test. This doesn’t necessarily mean that they are dumb and do not have any interest in getting in to a good college. But because of this test he will likely not get into a good college and not be able to pursue a higher level of education.

• No it is not smart to have a test to graduate high school.

• Kids shouldn't be tested on skills they were never taught.

Schools do not teach there students basic skills on how to survive, sure some schools may offer classes that teach only some of the skill sets but the majority of them are left un-taught. The american school system would rather have me know how to do calculus, or know when Christopher Columbus was born than know how to change a tire or file my taxes.

• Students should have to take the test

One reason eighth graders should have to take a test to move on to ninth grade is because if students meet the criteria every year like they are suppose to, they have a high chance of a high paying job in the future. According to the article ‘Our Everyday Life’ in the second paragraph, “employers in industries like manufacturing have good, high-paying jobs waiting for high school graduates, but many complain that these jobs can’t be filled because students don’t actually have the math and english skills that they were supposed to learn in high school.” For example, someone who runs a business wants young people to work at his business, so he decides he should hire 100 high schools graduates. After looking into their education, they don’t know enough english or math to work there. In other words, he won’t hire those people because he feels they aren’t smart enough and now they are out of a high paying job.

• Just Think About It.

In high school, you've got grades to worry about, stress over fitting in with peers, and a lot of times there is your family and even extracurricular activities or dreams to push yourself towards. This is not just some pity party but the truth. Throughout the years you worry over studying enough of what you have LEARNED, and if you will PASS THE TEST ( which tests your basic knowledge and skills on that particular area of that particular subject. This is already a test of basic skills.
    Now some may say a basic skills test is just about memorizing the knowledge taught in previous months. While this may be true, the student's true knowledge is tested when the teacher gives students something like a pop quiz, testing their knowledge & how they apply whatever they know (showing a study of how they may apply the same knowledge in the real world).
    Others may also argue that a test, even a pop quiz, may have the knowledge forgotten as they believe the same knowledge had to be memorized. While this may be partially true, a basic skills test does the exact same thing, only there for the students to worry and know for sure as a future obstacle, that if not passed would destroy any dreams they had in the future that may have even been helpful to the world they lived in. Their stress leads to two choice of which one decision must be made - memorize everything taught in school (even if it is not necessary or very applicable in the real world) - or, give up.
    Why is something so extra, so unnecessary and harmful, made a requirement to make greater lives out of good or bad ones?

• No, all kids are differnt!

Not all kids are the same you may have the smartest kid alive next to you, but he may not be able to pass a test to save his life, or the dumbest kid my pass every test with flying colors. No test is needed you go to school to learn what you need to to survive. Not all kids are gonna be millionaires, we need our farmers, oil field workers, etc...

• Students should not have to pass a test to graduate....

• Counter intuitive reasoning

ACT or SAT 2.0, isn't necessary; what is needed is a basic course/exam in how-to-do essential tasks in life such as sowing a button, changing a tire, or balancing a check book. School in this country already prepares you in the most obsolete ways it can; now vocational schools are at an all time minimum with home education being non existent.

eijbergenv says2014-01-30T21:28:34.607
Maybe students should learn how to spell 'students' first instead of 'studants'...