Should Students Have To Take Standardized Tests?

Asked by: crannydebate
  • Three words needed

Welllllll , I think yes because blah blah blah school 190 other are words weord closeds who have 4.0 GPA's with a 19 ACT score. This doesn't mean that a child is uneducated or less smarter than the other. Many of the material on standardized test are Students should not have to go through these tests.
    Posted by: crannydebate things that you won't really

• Yes, that's the moss fair

I definitely think they should. It's the most fair, same test for everyone. Mix of easier, and mix of harder questions, no surprises. Those tests would also be easier and more fair to mark. Teachers from all around the world could cooperate much easier. To conclude, standardized tests are better for both students and teachers.

• Pass the test.

Without testing to see what the children have learned, how can we tell if they are ready for the next step? For instance, if you don't have a good grasp on basic math, could you possibly understand algebra or geometry? Of course not. It's not that hard. Pay attention to the teacher. Do your homework or any other tasks the teacher gives, and pass the tests.

• Waste of Time

Standardized tests do not measure how much a child has actually learned. I’ve seen kids who have maintained an A all year and have failed these tests and I’ve seen kids with D’s pass. Does that sound accurate to you? All you have to do to pass a test is memorize a bunch of facts and forget them afterwards. This is not true learning. No higher- level thinking skills are required. Studies also show that anxiety levels are at their highest during standardized test months for both students and teachers. If being educated means passing a test, then we have lost the meaning of true learning.

• Overly abused by the state to punish teachers.

When you push teachers to take a state-mandated test that doesn't necessarily describe the students overall capability or average knowledge over a issue. The teachers should be the ones to decide if the student is progressing in the lessons given. The state shouldn't be allowed to punish teachers over the state issued testing because the student didn't perform as expected by the state. The test can also punish people with disabilities who can't compete efficiently and might not even record them accurately.

• No no no!

Students should not have to take these standardized tests. It is to stressful on the student and on the teacher too. Why do you think we have so many school shootings? Because students get stressed out because of tests like these. Students should not have to go through these tests.

• Nope! They don't help much

Personally, I have way to Much experience with Standardized tests. Usually, I will just study for the test, get the Grade and forget the Material the next day. If all there used for is to get a grade, they should be stopped. Don't even get me started on the Stress they cause. When I take tests, even though I'll know I'll get an A, I get extreme anxiety which makes feel really sad and depressed.

• Does not measure how much people have learned by any means

With any tests, they don't measure intelligence or anything. They just measure if you happen to know random trivia. Same goes for standardized tests. They measure some random trivia that they expect us to know, and if we didn't go over it, oh well, the school will blame me when I fail it. It puts excessive amounts of stress on students and is not by any means useful

• It doesn't determine how smart you are

In most cases, if you tell someone or a college, " I got a 36 on my ACT" you are considered smart. When in reality, standardized test are filled with patterns that one must learn in order to pass. It's not accurate in determining if a child is smart or not. There are many students who have 4.0 GPA's with a 19 ACT score. This doesn't mean that a child is uneducated or less smarter than the other. Many of the material on standardized test are things that you won't really need in the classroom, therefore, it's not something many students study. An argument was it test basic knowledge. If this is the case, why aren't all the questions on the same level? You don't have to make a question so hard to confuse a person. You can get that sort of information by asking a simple question instead of using a bunch of big words that many people don't know the meaning of.

• Waste of Time

Standardized tests do not really tell how well a child actually knows the material being taught. I have seen kids who’ve maintained an A in the class all year fail these tests and kids with D’s all year pass! Does that sound accurate to you? In order to do well on a standardized test, all you have to be able to do is memorize a bunch of facts. After the test, you forget them. This is not true learning. They require no higher level thinking skills. Every moment spent testing, is time children could be learning. Also studies show that anxiety levels in both students and teachers are higher during standardized test months. If being educated means passing a test, then we have forgotten education really is and what the true meaning of learning is.