Should students in school be able to use their phones in school?

Asked by: Hella_hoe
  • In some circumstances.

For example, when the teacher writes a lot on the board, students can take a picture with their phones. It saves time and paper. Other than that, phones should be banned in class, as there is no need for them. At break and lunch, they should be allowed to use their phones because it's their time and imagine social outcasts who are lonely. I used to be an outcast and I was forced to eat lunch by myself and having my phone at lunch so I could message my long-distance friends really helped me.

Finally, students should always bring a phone for safety reasons. My school is built near a woodsy area and kids often have to walk through the woods to get home. I would dread the thought of my kid, (if I had one), walking through the woods without a phone. Anything could happen to them. And it's no different on public streets. 999 (or variations, depending on where you live), is the emergency number. How are you supposed to call it without a phone?

They shouldn't be used in class, except in rare circumstances, but should be brought to school.

• Yes of course

F f frgj jj j j j k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k o kj ih u gy fr ff t6 t6g t6g g y hh uu8 hu h8 h8 h8h 8

• Cell phones help the teachers keep control

Cell phones allow the teachers to keep control of the students. A school in Toronto has gotten rid of the ban of cell phones in class. Even though they do not use the cell phones for everything the fact that they are allowed to use it better engages the children. Even in my own school we all know how to hide our phones quite well.If the ban persists we will still be on them although not allowed.

• No, it is a class room disturbance.

There really is no legitimate reason. All it is, is just a class room disturbance. Then pupils will start messaging one another. This distracts them from the material being learnt.

To quote Auragirl360: "For example, when the teacher writes a lot on the board, students can take a picture with their phones. It saves time and paper. Other than that, phones should be banned in class, as there is no need for them. At break and lunch, they should be allowed to use their phones because it's their time and imagine social outcasts who are lonely."

Students write down notes. It is not that difficult, it is just a matter of applying yourself. Also the teacher could send the notes via email(Google Drive, etc).

Lunch is to eat, not to go on face book, message, and all that other nonsense that should not happen in a school.

• There is no reason for it

At school students are under the care of the teachers and staff. If there is an emergency the staff will contact their family.

School is a place of learning, if they are on their phones in class they are not learning and off they are on their phones during breaks they are missing important socialisation.

• No it disturbs the learning place

Cell phones can also be used for less important reasons, such as excessive amounts of texting. One big issue concerning cell phones and teenagers is the use of cell phones in school. Many teenagers believe that cell phones should be allowed in school, during class.
    But cell phones should not be allowed during school, because they would provide distractions for students and teachers, allow for cheating on tests, and for other social reasons. If this continued, it could prove detrimental to that student’s education. It could also be distracting to other students, for if someone was talking on their phone while the teacher was talking, it would be difficult for the students to focus on the teacher.

But what if two people answered there phone during class? Or three, or four? It would be quite distracting for those students, and for their classmates. Plus, it would certainly be distracting for the teacher-trying to talk over students who are talking when they are. One of the best ways to get in trouble during class is to talk when the teacher is talking, for it distracts the teacher, the student, and their classmates; if cell phone were allowed in school, they would increase the amount of time students are talking when they don’t need to, making the class more difficult to teach, take longer, and be less educational.
    Cell phones cause cheating on tests. Almost all cell phones have texting, and kids have become good at texting without getting caught. It would be easy for kids to text each other the answers to tests during testing sessions if everyone is allowed to use their phone during class. If teachers ask what students are doing, they can just say that they are texting their mom.

Now, some might say that kids are more honest than that, but they are wrong. One teacher had a story about a class he used to teach in. Some of the kids began to learn sign language, just for fun. The teacher thought it was good that they were doing something new and different-until he found out that they were using sign language to cheat on tests. If kids can find a way to cheat on tests, they will.

Cell phones also can cause social “problems”, which would only increase if cell phones were allowed in school. First of all, cell phones are impersonal and rather anti-social. If a kid is using their phone to text during class all the time, they wouldn’t need to be as good at actually talking to others, which would degenerate social skills, which are very important in life for jobs, creating good family relationships, and making and keeping friends.

Another social problem that could occur is cyber-bullying. If cell phones were allowed to be used throughout the school day, it would be easier and there would be more time for students to use technology to bully other students (and without getting caught, unless the victim reports the bullying, which is quite rare).