• They should learn more than one language.

The reason I say yes is because if they do take time to learn the language(s) maybe they will take the time to really learn. But I also think that it should be a choice not to be laid down om thwm when they probably already have enough to do.

• Kids improve speaking fluency

With little kids learning new languages it give thing to think about but took improve vocabulary as it is. Kids learn the value of big and strong words while trying to define the foreign word.
    The knew words give kids speech fluency and knowledge. Kids ,in addition to speech ,will help decipher words easier and faster.

• We are global

As long as Americans want to do business with other English speaking countries and other countries come to the US to do business, we will be fine. If other countries in Europe, Asia, South America, and Africa chose not to do business with the US, how would we be able to convince them. It seems rather narcissistic to expect them to come to us.

• It will help the student in the long run..

In my opinion, it should be mandatory for students to learn a second language. Sure some people think it's a waste of time or that it's boring and complex, but it may come in handy in the future. Yes maybe the student will stay in the same country but what if they decide to go on a vacation or look for jobs? Learning a new language will allow a person to communicate and also to understand diversity. This is getting too long, but learning a foreign language does have its pros and cons. Although I still believe it should be a required subject in schools.

• It will be great for students!

Learning a new language will help you get more money. You will also feel more connected to the different cultures. Learning a new language is fun! At least for me...But everybody is different. The best language to start at is Spanish that's where all the basic Latin roots are from. Learning a new language is fun as long as you are in for it.

• Very Much Yes.

Children should be able to speak different languages for learning advantages and future jobs that relate to foreign languages, they will be happier too going to a different country and being able to communicate to unknown people, which is also a big problem in other countries that people can't communicate to foreigners too. Thank you, Nikki C.

• Yes yes yes

Students should learn a foreign languages,because it help them in many different ways in life )) they make better their life,they will have more friends in future than now . Also they have means to travel in different countries . So its my opinion to learn different languages . Bye

• We should require students to take foreign language classes.

Think of the large variety of jobs that it will allow students to take in the future. Maybe you go on a vacation and can speak their language fluently and can communicate. Or you could just be that American that can only speak English. You decide to live in a different country and can speak English and that language.

• Learning a foreign language opens your mind

Not only you learn grammar rules, you learn about other cultures, you enjoy travelling more, you become more open minded and you are more likely to understand about the world, history, current affairs. Learning languages brings you together to other people. Learning a foreign language will make you smarter as it is a great asset to the cognitive process

• To be competent

Students should learn foreign language other than English because to stay competent. Many companies today looking for graduates who be able to speak more than 2 languages. Learning other language makes student highly competent as they have the urge to get down and loosen their tongue. Today, English is not just the only language that starts to take over the world, but others as well. Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese are the example that also starts to win the hearts of others

• Not required in my opinion

Any foreign language in my opinion isn't required unless you plan on exploring the world or have plans to work at a call area or being a teacher for students who WANT to learn a new language. Not many people want to speak another language I for one don't but yet is forced on students who don't want to learn another language and they don't get a say in it and thus makes it harder for any student who doesn't want to learn a new language as they have to sit am examination on it and focus on something they don't find important or interesting for there present or future life this applies pressure on them and distracts there attention away from other subjects such as maths science and English witch then in turn affects there grade as there attention is focused on foreign languages.

• It's a complete waste of time.

People barely know how to speak English, why should they be forced to learn another language? How would you feel if schools made everybody learn about biochemical engineering and said the reason is to expand our thought processes? I don't plan on leaving the United States at all, nor do I plan on doing anything that involves me speaking another language. However if you plan on doing something that helps you if you are bilingual than by all means yes, if not don't do it.

• It should be optional.

Kids don't pay attention while learning a second language and they always say they don't understand. One time, my Spanish teacher asked, "Is anyone Savera's friend?" and no one raised their hand except Savera because we all thought she said, "Who is Savera?" This is why language in school should be optional.

• It Should Not Be Required

Although learning a foreign language is a huge plus for any individual, it should not be a requirement. Furthermore, not everyone has the desire to learn a foreign language, therefore they should not be forced to do so. Those who do wish to learn another language will benefit from it, but it should be optional.

• They won't truly learn it without continuous immersion

Learning languages via books and the classroom only provide a very basic level of understanding. Advanced learning comes only with continuous use and practice in an everyday setting. In the US their is little need or opportunity for such immersion. I tried finding studies to support what I have witnessed and seen firsthand with the families and friends that I know but oddly enough nothing came up despite all the searching I conducted. Makes me wonder if someone does not want these figures to be public. Based on my own sampling I can tell you that only 1 in 22 of those children actually had a moderate level of proficiency that is less than 5%. That is a terrible Return on Investment.

• Students shouldn't take any foreign language courses. Especially those who speak more than 1 language.

I truly hate when you are being forced to take courses in which you do not have any particular interests in. Why does the department of education forces students to take foreign language courses, especially those who learned English as their third language? Students should have a choice wether they want to take a foreign language course or not, these subjects shouldn't be forced upon them.

• I say no

People should be able to choose weather they want to take it or not. At my school we have a wide verity of races and everyone is required to take English and 2 years of foreign language. To me it isn't fair that people who speak Spanish get off easy in my Spanish class. I don't get off easy in English because its my first language!

• No because we aren't going to use it except in school.

This choice should be available because this is a personal matter and also a educational matter. Some students and people do not prefer to speak a second language due to other personal reasons or goals they want to keep close to themselves. These foreign language policies should also not be required for higher education too, because in the end you will only truly learn and master a second language if u blend in with a culture that speaks that certain language on a day to day basis. Without this immersion people will usually forget the main structure of speaking the language in a matter of years .

• It doesn't make sense

When someone sets their mind to something they will get it done, but learning a foreign language is very difficult especially nowadays because most teachers teach through imersion. Imersion is when the class is only taught in that language and 90% of the class doesn't understand. Their GPA will get marked down for that class grade being so low and them not paying attention because they can't. Their brain cannot focus on something it doesn't understand. Game set and match.

• Those who learn a new language may not travel to that country.

People who learn a new language may not travel. So what is the point of teaching a new language? If you don't travel, you may not get the opportunity to use the language. The inactivity of the language will let the person forget about the language, which makes teaching a new language pointless

Anonymous says2013-02-27T17:11:49.397
I think that high schoolers should at least take two years of foreign language; besides colleges are looking for people who know more than one language; i think it helps your brain grow!
Anonymous says2013-04-05T18:45:34.753
Kids need to have a good future and more people these days in 2013 are accepting people with double languages be some just know English or they only know Spanish I am not age nested them but in my opinion should learn and I know I want people to have jobs like me I Mexican and white and I got a perfect colleague for me and I will one day teach my kids the languages I know and I am starting to learn French and that will help me in my future .Thats my opinion Amy S.G
Anonymous says2013-05-22T01:04:23.247
Learning a second language earlier in your school life could help you in the future, it also broadens your personal outlook on the specific culture or language. It also has been proven that 'bilingual' people's (people who speak another language other than enlgish) brain capacity is higher than that of a single language learner. Because I personally study Japanese currently.
IcedViolets says2014-04-23T21:53:29.780
We should be teaching our children a foreign language from birth. Language is formed at an early age, therefore, making it easiest to learn as early as possible. Why not encourage diversity and learning? This is only going to help our children with their career development as well as acceptance of others. A close-minded society gets us nowhere. Why not encourage growth?!