Should teacher-led or mandatory prayer (please specify) be allowed in school?

Asked by: Lordgrae
  • In specialized schools or a specialized public school system.

I believe that it should, and only should, be allowed in private or dedicated schools where the faculty and students all believe in the same things to a degree. Which is the purpose of such a school. However, if i may provide a solution to prayer in public schools: This may be allowed to be practiced in specialized classrooms with specialized teachers, and maybe even in a separate building. All parents must do is complete a form to get their child into the program. The obvious difference between this and specialized schools is that they are government supported and do not require outside funds. (This may raise taxes slightly)

• This is more stupid than the PDA argument…

First off, I experience this myself and I HATE it! I am not Catholic, but I go to a Catholic school because my dad thought it would further my education to a greater capacity than public school. I have been force-fed this bull crap for SIX EFFONG YEARS and I am so sick of it! They need to make a private school that premotes no religion and condemns no religion. I have an open mind, but my school has effectively made me hate Jesus and the Christian god. (The Jewish god seems better.)
    There are times when the morning prayer over announcements made my mouth feel horrible. There have been times when the lunch prayer made me want to puke. And to top it all off, we go to church every Friday.
    Church makes me sick. Literally. My arms go all shaky and stuff like that. I don't like it, and I don't like the prayers either.
    If a kid doesn't actively practice or be regularly exposed to a religion, don't make the kid say the religion' sprayers and creeds!
    If you want the kids to be that faithful, tell them it's okay to pray in their heads, but really, making them pray a prayer that they don't agree with is like making them tell a lie.
    They could do what I do—cross their toes and be done with it, but they shouldn't be put in a situation where they have to resort to that!

• It Does Nothing, So There Is No Logical Reason For It:

Schools are meant to teach children how to be critical, rational thinkers, not Subservient Sycophants to an Imaginary Entity.
    I would support MindSight Meditation in schools, because this has far greater benefits when compared to Prayer.
    Prayer is part of Indoctrination which destroys the Rational, Critical Thinking skills of individuals.
    MindSight meditation enhances rational, critical thinking and improves self-image of students.

MindSight meditation combined with Exercise is highly beneficial to a child's education.

While Prayer is detrimental to Education.

• Absolutely not as schools are a requirement by the state and the state cannot promote or inhibit any specific religion,

Any religious act done within the realm of government oversight is seen as a tacit approval of one type of religious expression over another form and is thereby promoting one over the other. The Supreme Court define the term "Lemon Test" in a specific case. A personal "lemon test" for someone thinking it should be allowable for prayer in school should be for them to consider only prayers to gods other than theirs and whether or not that would be acceptable.
    Say a christian wants to hold school prayer, they should exchange the word God for Satan, Krishna, or Zeus and if they are still ok putting that over the intercom then I would listen their argument. If you can't do that, then your idea of prayer is biased by your religious belief.

• Mandatory is bad.

Anything mandatory or compulsory is bad, because it takes away free will, something which separates us from other animals. If we were forced into mandatory prayer, then hat what just be turning religion into something relatively dictatorial. As well as that, it would mean that people of different faith or non faith would be forced into something which is against their morals and principles.

• No . . . Separation of Church and State.

No, teacher-led or mandatory prayer should not be allowed in school. There must be a separation of Church and State, so that the government is not permitted to tell people what to believe with regards to God and religious views. Prayer should not be led by the teacher and it should not be mandatory in schools to prevent in the inculcation of religious views from teacher to student. Prayer should remain voluntary during school hours.

• No, there should never be mandatory prayer.

Firstly, this is incredibly intrusive against those that don't believe in the particular religion - they should not ever be forced to pray to something that they do not believe in. We should not enforce ideals on our younger generations at an age where they cannot question what they're being told. No mandatory salutes, no mandatory prayers, and no mandatory trash to be force fed.

• Separation of church and state

Absolutely not. If you want mandatory religion in school, send your child to a private religious based school. My child attends school with multiple children of many religious backgrounds, and I am grateful that she has the opportunity to see different belief systems first hand, but in public school, religion should not be required in any form. If a child wants to pray, they should be allowed, but as an addition to a diverse public school system, this is not appropriate.

• Most certainly not.

In public schools, this issue is of course already solved to an acceptable level. Voluntary prayer is legal in all public schools, so long as this does not directly disrupt the learning of others. Mandatory prayer is not; you absolutely cannot force children to engage in prayer, or force any other trappings of religion on them, as they do not necessarily actually have religious beliefs that would make this okay, and this effectively constitutes religious indoctrination/control of students. This is never 'okay'. This also constitutes a violation of the religious freedom of those students.

As to the issues of private religious schools, and this might ruffle a few feathers, but I am of the opinion that the exact same rule should be applied; parental consent doesn't nullify the fact that it's still religious control/indoctrination of students, and doesn't change the fact that young children are almost certainly not going to have religious beliefs of their own that are in line with what they are being taught, unless they have already been deliberately 'made' to have those beliefs, which again is religious indoctrination, which again is never 'okay'. It certainly doesn't nullify the fact that the religious freedom of those students is being infringed on if they are made to state prayers in the manner of a specific religion, or deliberately taught to believe in one specific religion.
    Also, private religious schools, at least at a primary school level, effectively segregate students according to the religious beliefs of those students' parents, which is patently ridiculous.

To whit; it is perfectly okay to have your own religious beliefs, and to live by them so long as this does not violate the rights of others. It is perfectly okay to teach your children about religions, and to try and put your own in a positive light, so long as you are not deliberately lying or painting all other religions but your own as 'bad'.
    It is *not* okay to violate the rights of others for 'religious reasons', whatever that term means. It is *not* okay to segregate children because of religious beliefs that their parents (not the children themselves) have. It is *not* okay to indoctrinate or coerce children into believing in and following a certain religion, whether or not their parents think this is 'okay'.

So no; I do not believe that mandatory prayer should be legal in *any* school, whether it's public, private, or even specifically a 'religious school'. Once again, voluntary prayer is legal in all schools anyway.

• I thought we were passed this?

Imagine being a Christian and your child comes home from school one day and tells you that they prayed to Allah in the name of Muhammad. The thought should make you very angry. Now take that anger and remember that this is why school-sponsored prayer was ruled unconstitutional for a reason.

• I like the current system.

I am personally more interested in other people's opinions, but I shall briefly explain mine. I like our current system where we cannot force children to pray, or force them to be silent or leave the room while others pray, but if you want to pray you can, you can form prayer clubs and meet at the school, just like any other club.