Should teacher-student relationships be allowed in high school?

• I absolutely think students should be allowed to date their teachers.

I think students and teachers should be allowed to have relationships together mainly because it's part of their freedom of expression. However, I don't think they should be allowed to have sexual relationships together until the student is 16 or older. I say this because the student needs to be mature enough to resist peer pressure. He/she also needs to know the consequences of STDs and mothering/fathering a child at such a young age. But just dating, I definitely support. All I'm saying is that I think if a 15 year old student likes his/her 26 year old single teacher, and he/she likes him/her back, I think they have the constitutional right to express that.

Posted by: ABG
  • If over age

If the student is over the age of consent in the state or country that this is taking place in, then there is no reason for students and teachers to be in a relationship. While people will argue abuse of power, young people falling in love with authority figures will happen regardless.

Posted by: ABG
  • If you are 18 or older, or recently graduated!

If you're of age then why not? People will do it anyway if they like each other. Can't help who you fall for! Age is just a number... I hope that one day people will realize that teacher student relationships aren't inappropriate if they are of age. A stupid rule.

• Yes people have the right

Yes i agree on teachers dating their students in high school beacuse we can date whoever we want to date and if a student wants to date his or her teacher then they should the student has to be at least 15 years old to date his or her teacher and if they want to have sex then the student should be atleast 17 years old to have sex with the teacher. Everybody can express their love to whoever they want to be in a relationship with. I hope you can agree with my opinion and support teachers dating their student.

• It is a new era.

No student should be afraid of liking their own teachers, similarly, no teacher should be ashamed of liking their own students.
    There isnt anything mortally wrong about liking someone, because of the simple reason that it is a new era and society shouldnt stop two halves from being a whole.
    By stopping student teacher relationships when it is a mutual feeling, it causes indirect harm to the both of them because they cannot be together.

1) either they do it in discreet
    2) or they end it all at once.

I dont see the issue snd the big hoo-ha and the big deal of liking someone.

• A lot of yes answers and why

I absolutely think students should be allowed to date their teachers. I think students and teachers should be allowed to have relationships together mainly because it's part of their freedom of expression. However, I don't think they should be allowed to have sexual relationships together until the student is 16 or older. I say this because the student needs to be mature enough to resist peer pressure. He/she also needs to know the consequences of STDs and mothering/fathering a child at such a young age. But just dating, I definitely support. All I'm saying is that I think if a 15 year old student likes his/her 26 year old single teacher, and he/she likes him/her back, I think they have the constitutional right to express that.
    If you are 18 or older, or recently graduated! If you're of age then why not? People will do it anyway if they like each other. Can't help who you fall for! Age is just a number... I hope that one day people will realize that teacher student relationships aren't inappropriate if they are of age. A stupid rule.
    If over age If the student is over the age of consent in the state or country that this is taking place in, then there is no reason for students and teachers to be in a relationship. While people will argue abuse of power, young people falling in love with authority figures will happen regardless.
    For young teachers Some teachers are 22-23, it seems reasonable that they could date an 18 year old. As long as rules and laws are written so that the teacher is held accountable for any preferential treatment (or discriminatory after a break up)
    When you think about it, if you say the student has to be over 18, or over 17, they're so nearly finished school anyway, if the teacher and student fall into something 6 months before the student graduates anyway, it would seem stupid to put a hold on that.

• A lot of yes answers and why

• For young teachers

Some teachers are 22-23, it seems reasonable that they could date an 18 year old. As long as rules and laws are written so that the teacher is held accountable for any preferential treatment (or discriminatory after a break up)

• Yes,it should have

It should not be an restriction in relationship between students and teachers.And saying all students in high school are immature in having relationship with a teacher is wrong.While some of them might develop earlier in having relationship than some teacher.It's the freedom of expression.People should have right to express their feeling.

• I don’t think that teacher-student relationships should be allowed in high school unless the high school student is over the age of 18.

I don’t think that teacher-student relationships should be
    allowed in high school unless the high school student is over the age of
    18. If teachers want to have
    relationships with students, they should teach in college. Most high school students are too young and
    immature to be in a relationship with an adult.

• Teacher-student relationships should not be allowed in high school.

Teacher-student relationships should not be allowed in high school. IT detracts from the professional environment that should be presented in high school. If a student and a teacher are interested in one another, they should wait until the student is graduated and therefore old enough to make their own decisions.

• No, teacher-student relationships should not be allowed.

Teachers have a responsibility to be a good influence on the students that they teach. If we were to allow teacher-student relationships to occur, then those teachers would find themselves focused on other things. They would not be focused on helping their students learn as much as focusing on developing relationships with students.

Teacher-student relationships should not be allowed in high school. It is totally unprofessional for any boss to date their co-worker. I think the same should apply here at the high school level. Nothing good can ever come from getting involved with students and it should never happen in the first place.

• Pedastru should not be tolerated

What Lind of nation is this? Free love nation USA? Apparently because this sh*t is just gross. Tens should not be having sex with audilts, and taking advantage of students should not be tolerated, the teacher should be stoned to death and have bamboo shoots up their fingernails. No no

• To much risk of underage

I would say no way would I agree to letting teachers and students "date" not only would those students get favored and wouldn't be fair to the other students but what happens when the teacher and student break up? The classroom would be a very hostile environment for the student especially not to mention that about 3/4 of children in high school are under 18 years and considered minors. There is way to much chance the teacher falls for a 16 year old instead of a 18 year old and pressures that child into a sexual relationship that the children either doesn't want nor understand. I'm am fully on the NO side on this one!!!!

• Why is this even being discussed????

Why are people even debating about this? NO! NO! NO! Teachers and students should never have a relationships together. Let alone look at each other in that way. Its disgusting. How would you feel if your 50 year old teacher was checking you out? Its nasty. The teacher should be in jail.

• It is too idealistic

While it would be nice to practice equal rights and say, "Hey, so long as they're over 18, anything goes!" the idea that the school system is its own community with its own isolated conditions must also be factored in.

Because of the nature of the school community, the teacher has quite a lot of power with what goes on within the classroom. This includes creating assignments, grading those assignments, giving attention to students, etc. As humans are not infallible, and are often easily affected by their own emotions, a teacher that shares a mutual fondness with one student (or even two or three) will give that student presidence over the others.This risks creating an unfair and poorly balanced classroom setting for the remaining students. They may be disincluded from conversations, their questions may be overlooked, and they may suffer from harder workloads than the favored student(s).
    Of course this is already at risk of happening, but allowing teachers to engage in a romantic relationship with a student who has not yet graduated is simply going too far. I hardly need to further mention the risk of sexual action on school campus; or of complete distraction from the curriculum on the favored student's part (thus totally defeating the purpose of sending them to school in the first place).