Should teachers and students be friends on social networks?

• It can help you to learn more about the lesson

If there is a test and you don't understand the lesson you could ask your teacher to explain more about it. You could also ask them about the things that you forgot to write in your diary. And by my experience I have ask quite many question from them through sosial media.

• I think it should be allowed

I think it should be allowed because if someone needs help with their homework the teacher would be able to give them so help and ideas to help finish their homework. Another reason i think that it should be allowed because if they have family problems such as, harrassment abusement and just regular day issues

• After Graduation it fine

I think it is fine for a teacher and student to be friends on FB after a student graduates/is finishing up their senior year. If the teacher made a real impact on you, you should keep in contact with them. A freshman friending a teacher is a totally different story...

• I think it's fine

I think that it is fine if a teacher and a student are friends on social networks. I think that sometimes teachers and students form a special bond, and there should not be a rule against them being friends outside of school, whether it is in real life or online on social networking sites. I am friends with many former teachers.

• Teachers should not friend or follow a student on social media.

There is so much more bad that can happen then good. If a teacher wants to communicate with a student about something academic... They can use a different site such as edmodo. It is inappropriate for a teacher to follow a student because its unprofessional and parents may feel offended. Students want to go on social media with their friends and family... They don't want to be bothered by teachers asking questions and nagging them about homework.

• No, the relationship should stop when class period ends.

Students and teachers should not be friends on social networks. Communication outside of the classroom could potentially cause problems, as has been seen with some teacher-student scandals in recent years. There is too much familiarity between students and teachers if they communicate outside of the classroom, and this can cause problems in rare instances. But just in general, in less severe cases, it can cause teachers to be seen more as friends and buddies than as authority figures.

• No, sends the wrong message

All this does is open the door for relationships that aren't allowed and for good reason, it should not be allowed. Students can talk to teachers through other outlets if they have academic related questions, there's no need for one to be monitoring the other. It isn't the message we want being sent, even if well intended.

• No, I do not think teachers and students should be friends on social networks.

No, I do not think teachers and students should be friends on social networks. I think that a relationship this friendly would be inappropriate for a teacher and student to have. The teacher needs to continue to be an authority figure, and not a friend, or any number of bad situations could occur.

• I don’t think that it is ever appropriate for teachers and students to be friends on social networks.

I don’t think that it is ever appropriate for teachers and
    students to be friends on social networks.
    There is too much that can go wrong.
    Social media is a free for all where anyone is free to say anything to
    or about anyone else. Teachers and
    students should enjoy a healthy separation in and out of school.

• No, students and teachers should not be friends on social networks.

Students and teachers have a professional relationship to keep amongst themselves. Allowing friendship on social networking gives both parties to much information into the personal lives of each other. This can lead to improper relationships between them. It can also lead to conflict of interest in the evaluation process of the student.

• Wait until they've graduated.

My sister is a high school teacher, and her policy is to not accept students' friend requests until they have graduated. I think this system works really well because the teacher is not openly denying the student,she also protects her job this way, while still being able to friend the students at a more appropriate time in their lives.