Should teachers be able monitor a student's computer?

• Yes but only when they are in their class

I think they should be allowed to track what the students are doing because some students have bad behavior and look at things they are not supposed to be looking at. Teachers should only do it when the students are in their classroom or it would seem like they were stalking you. Parents want their kids to learn with these computers, not do things that they will get in trouble for.

• Well yes and no, but mostly yes.

When computers are used in class, then they should be monitored. I can't count how many times as a student, how I have watched my peers view movies and play games during class. It doesn't matter if you block everything, they just get past it. They came to school to learn, and a reminder needs to be placed. However, at home you should not do monitor a student. If your student uses loaned school computers, what they use them for at home is up to their parents. Home is a whole other environment.

• Students need to be monitored

I do not want to take away a student's right to work on a computer. But just as parents monitor their children, schools should be able to monitor student activity. Plus teach cyber safety to students. In today's world, there is too much to be concerned about when it comes to the safety and security of students on school computers.

• Your in school, You should be focused on your work.

School is meant for you to be doing your work. They should be able to watch your computers because then they will know that your not dillydallying. Also, young student, elementary or middle school students, could easily find inappropriate content online and show their classmates, then parents will get upset. They definitely should be watched.

• Yes, I agree that teachers should monitor a student's computer.

Most students are given a computer by the school to use for school work, etc. These computers are not the student's property but the schools. When students are in a classroom, they should be focused on the learning in the room and be using the computers for work that is associated with the subject. Many students get hooked on games, Facebook, or other sites that are not for educational uses. If they feel the need to do this, they should use their own computers on their own time. Teachers should be allowed to monitor any activity while in school to ensure they are using it properly and not for games and entertainment.

• Monitoring during tests is no different than walking around the room and observing a student's desk to observe what the student is using.

A teacher should be allowed to monitor that a student is doing the work they are supposed to be doing during the class. Teachers can walk around but another student could do something while the teacher is elsewhere in the classroom. This latter is especially true during tests if teachers are being asked/expected to administer online tests - other screens could be looked at when they are not supposed to be (in the "old" days this was called cheating). During other times during ths school day, school policy or access capabilities could determine what a student can access.

• Yes, I think a teacher should be able to monitor a student's computer, because they are owned by the schools.

The teacher should be able to monitor their students' computers. The teacher is ultimately responsible for the student's actions on the computer, so she should have a say in what is done on the computer. Computers at schools are not private, as they are owned by the school district. Therefore, they should be monitored.

Posted by: FemaleTyron73
  • If it is the school's computer and, therefore, the school's property, then they should be able to monitor the activity.

Many companies monitor what their employees do on company time, so a school shouldn't be any different. If the kids are on the school's network during school hours, then they should be able to check and see what our kids are doing. With things, such as cyber-bullying and school shootings, it boils down to a safety issue for everyone involved. Kids need to learn to be accountable for their actions and know that they are being supervised.

Posted by: 5h4bbyHaIey
  • Kids are often lazy nowadays, and have too much access to endless amounts of things to do on the web.

School is a very boring place for most kids. Many will tell you that. Most teachers are aware that students are surfing the web, instead of doing their class work, which is assigned by the teacher. With teachers constantly monitoring computer use at school (which is what they are paid to do anyway), school work can be completed, without the procrastination of the students.

Posted by: ShutDana69
  • Yes, teachers should monitor computer use in the classroom.

Teachers need to be able to monitor student effort and activities in the classroom, and that need extends to computer use in the classroom. That need applies only to computer use in the classroom, however. If a school allows students to bring school-owned computers home, students should be responsible only for any damage to the computer. Use of the computer away from the school should not be subject to monitoring.

Posted by: LuciaL
  • Teachers Need Mind Their Own Business

Teachers have no business looking at our personal information online. We need our privacy just like everybody else. They would not like it if we invaded their privacy, so don’t invade ours. It wouldn't be fair to allow the teachers to go to our facebook, instagram, or even our twitter to be looking at our walls and seeing what we are up to. That is so not cool. It is not there job to be getting all up in our business, what's wrong with them thinking they have the write to. Amen!

• Teachers Need Mind Their Own Business

• No it is against our right of freedom in the first place and also work may be personal

Students need privacy as much as any other person or else they will feel untrusted and not bother some students will work better if they have music running in another tab many students may be researching a topic or writing about a topic that is upsetting for them or the teacher and may want privacy to do what they want and along with passwords they will be able to see what they are making you not very secure.

• Students need privacy.

Students need privacy because, such students are at a age that students should have their own privacy despite a tendency to get off work. Students will become more responsible by learning how to use a laptop by using the laptop itself without monitoring going on. Teachers are also teachers who teach not security guards or policemen that watch over student's use of technology.

• High school Student Myself

My school has blockers on the computer itself and they shouldn't moderate. My school has policy if they catch anything that against rules. They take the laptop and if they see any websites of non-school use the computer took longer and the written assignment is longer. The parents are called no matter what. I don't think need in this situation. Also in the past if teachers have right they use turn on webcam and spy children from within homes is that right?

• Teachers should not be able to monitor students' computers, especially without notifying the students.

Though a student may be untrustworthy, blatantly spying on a student's activity is an invasion of privacy, and in many cases students aren't allowed to bring their own computers, and the students are forcibly watched. For these reasons and innumerably more, I believe that teachers should not have the privilege to secretly monitor student activity.

• Teachers should not be able to access student information or violate student privacy.

My teacher accessed my G-mail account today. She didn't just monitor it from her computer, which she frequently does, but she somehow changed the controls, and reversed them from my computer to hers. She was moving the mouse on her computer and controlling MY G-mail account as I watched her read the email I was writing. The fact that she's capable of accessing anything a student is doing is just wrong and should not be aloud. I'm going to go to my guidance counselor tomorrow and talk to him.

• Invading Student's Tablet

Even though having teachers monitor you computer would allow them to know if your doing work and other things but it just invades the student's privacy. Well to me, I can't stand if someone is watching me while I do my thinking and working on tablet. And second of all, will the teachers still monitor your computer at home? They would know our social media sites,etc.

• I believe that allowing teachers to monitor the computers of students is an invasion of privacy.

I do not believe that teachers or administrators have the right to monitor everything a student does on their computer. It is an invasion of student privacy. The role of educators should be to teach, not to monitor. Students are human beings and deserve respect. Treating students like laboratory subjects reduces them and their worth simply because of their age.

Posted by: FairMckinley99
  • Unless the student gives a teacher a reason not to trust him or her, they should get the benefit of the doubt.

As an adult, I hate being tracked on the Internet and having my privacy
    completely railroaded by Facebook or ads. I, especially, loathe those annoying cookies that invade my computer. A student should be given trust and, only if they violate it, does a teacher have the right to pry or spy on their computer activities.

Posted by: MarsBIue