• Misconception of Discipline is Swaying Opinion

A huge misconception is that, anytime this question is asked, the immediate go to response I see is "no" for the reason of "hitting is bad!" Now, where in the question did it say "physical discipline" or "corporal punishment"? Here's an example of a fair blanket punishment. In the event of the class not paying attention to the lesson, they apparently know the content of the lesson well enough, therefore, they can reliably write an additional paper on the subject due in a week. In the event of an individual, assign detention, and have that detention affect attendance credit.

Here's the thing, if you believe that every little thing affects how a student will grow and act, then not punishing them for bad behavior will affect them too. You don't punish a student for being bad, they start to believe that they have some sort of right to anything and everything they want, meaning stealing is okay, because it's their right, and they wont be punished.

• Order must be maintained

Teachers must be allowed to enforce rules for allowable behavior in class to maintain an environment conducive to learning. If students are allowed to side-track during class, their personal diversions interfere with the rights of their peers to learn without hindrance.

I can relate this to personal experience. When I was a senior in high school, I was one of the few people in my chemistry class who cared about the subject or the teacher. My classmates, in general, did not. I recognize that they had the right to have fun in class. However, their right to have fun must not extend to the point of interfering with my right to learn and my teacher's responsibility to teach.

• Yes, they have to maintain control.

Yes, teachers should be allowed to discipline students, because students have to be able to have a quiet classroom to learn. If students can cause trouble without discipline, they will disrupt other students, and will leave an unpleasant environment in the classroom. Teachers should have authority to deal with problem students when they break rules.

• Discipline Is Essential

I believe that teachers, generally, are allowed to discipline students. I do not believe physical punishments should be allowed in schools, however, teachers do need to maintain the ability to discipline students in other ways. As children age they try to push for independence and freedoms that are not in line with learning and a teacher can not maintain a proper learning environment without having some type of control over the classroom setting.

• Schools do not need more discipline

This is because teachers start school round about the time adults and parents go to work. So schools are just basically getting students ready for work while students don't need more pressure for their future. How would you like if your kids come home stressed about their own future about work.

• Schools do not need more discipline

• Students will have a bad image in mind.

Students think that discipline will solve problems so they might start a fight cause they think that it will help the situation. They will think that violence solves everything. They could have emotional damage from the paddle and getting in trouble. Paddling is cruel. If the student feels afraid of the teacher it doesnt promote teaching. Children need to feel safe at school.