• Yes teachers should be allowed to have cell phones in class.

I do not see the problem with teachers having cell phones in class, as long as they do not use it unless it is an emergency. I believe teachers know not to use their phones while class is in session, they are on the clock that, it is obvious how unprofessional that would be.

• Yes, why is this even a question?

Cell phones are important tools of communication, and their usefulness has been demonstrated in classes over and over again (when I had a student faint in class, I would not have been able to call 911 without my cell phone on me--there are no land lines in classrooms on campus). Why is this being threatened?

• Yes, of course.

Teachers are professionals, not McDonald's workers. They have bachelor's and master's degrees and have the professional judgment to know when they can safely use their phone and when it is a distraction. If we trust them to teach our kids, surely we can trust them to limit their phone as needed. Plus, it makes sense that a teacher has a phone in case of an emergency.

• Teacher and students are not equals

Teachers should be allowed to have their cell phone in their classroom. However, it is not for personal use while students are in front of them. We need to let our students know that we as teachers are not on the same level as our students. I know from personal experience that the district I teach in does not supply phones in classrooms

• Get over it already .

What if an emergency were to happen?
    I 100% agree with teachers to have cell phones. I just think this is absurd . Again, teachers do have a bachelors degree. They are professionals
    1. Why not
    2 are you a student? ,
    3 Why don't you get a college education ? , then you could complain .

• Yes of course

What if there is a problem with family or friends like if there is a burglary.Or if there's a fire. Or even if someone is getting sick.What if you were in this situation were you didn't have a phone and your family really needed your helper you didn't have a connection.

• Yes, they should

Yes, teachers should be allowed to have it in the class, but as long as they are not frequently checking it and going on it. There are teachers that will just hand the class a booklet and go on their phones for the rest on the class, and in that case, the cell phones should be confiscated.

• Seriously, why is this even an issue?

Teachers are people. What if my children or their school needs to reach me? What if there is an emergency like 9/11? The classroom phones only call inside the building. What if I have to call 911? What if there's a school shooting and I'm hiding in the closet and I need to make a lifesaving phone call? We are adults with professional responsibilities and as adults, we are able to adapt our behavior in the classroom to make sure that the student's needs get met. I can hold my cell phone and still teach. No one is having this conversation about doctors or lawyers having their phones with them at work. Also, instead of taking lots of stuff home, I can take pictures of it and do work at home without taking anything home. I can even take pictures of the students work as evidence to show their parents later. Right now in NYC the mayor doesn't want teachers to take bathroom breaks during the day. We're not allowed to have AC, refrigerators, microwaves and now you want to take away our cell phones? My children come first, my family comes first, and then my students...So yes, I need to have my phone on at work.

• Emergency Response is important

Always allow teachers to be connected as many ways as possible to responders. Limiting their access to communication with others can negatively affect the outcome of a crisis. This is important for crisis management in the district. The value of multiple communication types expands the opportunity to reduce the impact of the crisis on our children.

• I believe so

I'm a teacher and this topic just recently came up. I had a few children tell on me to the principal for having mine. I have a young daughter who, during times when children are doing silent work, I like to check on. I don't talk on it or play games, but it is a tool to make sure my daughter is fine. I feel very disrespected when children tell fibs about situations.

• Teachers using cell phones for games.

Not all teachers are responsible enough stay off there phone. Both my kids in high school have at least 2 teachers that sit back during class and play games on their phones. This is unacceptable, if it was an emergency on the other hand it would be fine but a video game is not an emergency.

• Should Teachers be allowed their phones in class?? NO WAY!

If students aren't allowed their mobile phones in class then why should teachers be allowed? If there was an emergency then they can use the phones provided by the school. Also the teacher shouldn't need there phone on them because if they need to be contacted in an emergency then the school can tell them. Why would the teacher need the phone anyway its not like he/she will have time to check it during class. There is always Morning Tea and Lunch time if needed. If they have their phones on them then they might feel obliged to check it if it goes of or whatever during a lesson and then they are not giving their students and teaching their full attention and that is what parents are paying for.

• No, they should not.

No, teachers should not be able to have phones in class because they are most likely doing something fun while we are just sitting there doing work. It is so stressful watching them play on their phones while we are doing work. Why? Who would want to just sit there and watch them play?

• Talk hurts and here it is.

Teachers should not be able to have their cell phones in the classroom. Just imagine being in class and not learning anything because the teacher is texting. That's like texting and driving. Not only is it a distraction to students and themselves, it's also very unfair. On a daily basis students get their phones taken away for having them out in class. If teachers had that same rule they would get their phones taken probably more than the students. Yes, I understand there are many reasons why they should have them but honestly should they?

• Not at all; Teachers should not be allowed to have cell phones in class.

If students cant have cell phones then teachers should not either this is what i think anyways they are that important then students should have them too teachers could be using them for the same reason some of the students do teachers say im going to have my phone out my dad is in bad shape well so can one of our family members that don't give us as students the right to have our phone out

• Teachers shouldn't be allowed to have cellular phones.

They shouldn't have cell phones because it takes the children's mind off their work and ask this question "if we can't have our phone out why can you" and this makes the kids get in trouble with their teachers and parents for asking those questions. That is why teachers shouldn't have cellular phones in the classroom.

• Should teachers be allowed to have cell phones in the classroom?

No this is not right to have the teachers to have cell phones in classrooms. What is the point, they have cheep phones anyway. The kids have to have their work done at all times, if not, the parents will get made and said, why is my son/darter is falling in school. So if someone listing take my word for it.

• Totally not cool!!

See students aren't allowed to have their phones because it distracts them from learning, it's the same thing with teachers. If teachers have their phones out, it distracts them from teaching and the students begin to fail because their not learning. Parents are especially upset when they hear from their kids that teachers were getting on to them because of their low grades. I would have to agree they may have their phones out for learning purposes, not a chitchat on Facebook or a game of Angry Birds. So NO teachers shouldn't be allowed to have cellphones out in class, (unless for emergencies of course)

• Should teachers have their phones in class? NO!

Teachers shouldn't have their phones in class for the same reason students, it's a distraction. I have a teacher that is constantly playing hay day on her phone and/or texting. That's outrageous! Parents pay for their children to come to school and learn, not to sit around and watch a teacher on their phone texting, playing games, or on social media.

• No way Teachers arent obeying their own rules

They dont obey their own rules and that ticks me off as a student I can provide first hand evidence that they are secrectly playing Angry birds. The teachers enforce students to follow gidelines so teachers should too. All I ever see is phones when teachers are bored and we are working .