Should teachers be held responsible for their students' performance?

• Yeah they should be held accountable.

A teacher is the person that is supposed to help the child, if a child is dumb then its the idiot teachers fault. Friggin Hellen Keller. Of course if a student fails a teacher should get paid more for the amount of work and improvement of performance. Teachers should help slow students and not blame them.

• Teachers are Responsible to an Extent

Teachers should be held accountable for their students' learning but only to an extent. A teacher should not be evaluated solely on student test scores, for example. The evaluation process should include the teacher's ability to plan and lead instruction. The teacher's interactions with other teachers, administrators, parents, and others in the community should also be considered.

• Teachers ARE Responsible for How Well Kids Learn

Yes, teachers should be held responsible for their students’ performance. Teachers are generally very devoted to their profession, but there are still many who feel all they need to do is read from a lesson plan and give a quiz. These teachers do not truly educate. Many students struggle in their classes. Holding teachers responsible for their student’s performance would make them put more thought and effort into the way they teach. It would make them understand that they bear some responsibility for how well their students learn what is presented to them.

• Mkm m m

M m m m mmm m mmm m m m m m m m m m mm mm m mm m s s s s s s s s s s s s s s ss ss s s s s s ss ss s s s ss s s

• ................ ..... ...

....... ....... ....... ..... ...... ...... ..... ..... ... ......... ....... ........ .............. ............. .......... .............. ............. ................ ............... . . . . . . . . . . . ........ ............ ........... ...... ......... ........ .......... ............ .......... ........... ....... .......... ............... ........... ............ ......... ........ ............ ......... ......... ........... ......

• ................ ..... ...

• Teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes

Theachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes teachers are assholes

• Bc its legitness

Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness Bc its legitness

• They are responsible.

I am a highschool student and I am getting a C in math. I turn in my papers and get Ok grades on them. When the class starts a new chapter she gives us homework on something we do not know how to do and then we do the notes I just do not like it. But the thing that gets me mad is when on days we have a test she gives us homework.

• Jdbncoidbcoiwhdbcqwiehjdciewhjbncildebhcqwilhjbihjn kjwnc;qwnjec;p kjbn;weijodb;iewdbg;ilcbg

N lj mnj mj mj ,b bc bc cb cb cb cb c cb cb cb cb cb bc cb cb cb b cb cb cb cb c cb bc b cb cb bc cb cb cb bc cb bc bc b bc bm, n b h c b b

• Its not their place to.

The parents should want to see good grades on their child's progress reports, report cards, etc. My mother had weekly meetings with my teachers all through grade school and as she would cook at night, I would sit at the kitchen table and do my homework. I couldn't have company or go outside until it was done.

• Where Are the Parents?

When I was a child, it was my parent who held me responsible for my learning. I would sit at the kitchen table, while she cooked, doing my homework. She looked over my homework, asked me questions, had me read to her, called me my spelling words, and helped me with my math. If she couldn't explain something to me, then she involved my teacher. My mother held me responsible for my grades. Today’s society expects teachers to be behavioral scientists, parents, social workers, and oh yea, teach their subject area as well. Students aren't responsible for receiving poor parenting, but neither are their teachers.

• Purpose of teaching

The purpose of teaching is to educate the whole child, develop the child as a person. Development includes but not restricted to academic, social, self esteem, responsibility etc.

If a teacher is only measured or held purely responsible for student's performance, we might as well get a computer or robot to teach children. There are so many other things that an educator truly does.

• No, they should not.

There are too many variables that affect student performance which the teacher has no control over. For example if a student comes from a culture that places little value on education they are statistically very likely to do poorly on standardized testing. Teachers cannot change or control a student’s culture.
    Teachers should only be held accountable for the variables they can control. For example the teacher can be held accountable for developing lessons and using appropriate research based planning methods.

• Parents should be held responsible for their child's academic performance.

No I don't think teachers should be held accountable for student's performance at all. The teacher's duty is to teach the student. He or she cannot go home with the student and make the student do their homework or study. I believe the parent should hold a major responsibility for the student. If the teacher does their part then the parents should do theirs.

• No a teacher should not be held responsible for students' performance

At the end of the day, the only thing that teacher can do is teach, educate, TRY to reach their students. They cannot learn the material for them, make them pass tests, or make them write good papers. That is something that is the responsibility of the child, it is out of their hands. So no I don't think the teacher should be held liable for the performance or lack there of, of their students, it is not something they can control in the end.

• Teachers should not be held responsible for their students' performance.

Most teachers work hard to teach their students to the best of their ability. They should not be held responsible for their students' performance since their are many factors that can contribute to poor performance. Some teachers have students that have disabilities, students that do not speak English, students that have a hard home life that carry over to the school environment and many other reasons.

• Who controls the child's mind?

A teacher can do all she can to deliver the required information that must be taught to the child, but she cannot control what the child understands or absorbs. This is mainly down to the child's determination, perseverance and general will to learn if the child does not have these characteristics then he most likely not to learn. The teacher has no control over what goes into the child's mind and what doesn't.

• It's not possible to take responsibility for another persons actions.

I completely agree with the comment regarding the wise old saying, You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink." As a committed teacher, I want nothing more than for my students to be successful. I care about my students, I know education can make a huge difference in their lives and I do everything I can to ensure each and every child learns. Yet, as hard as I may try, regardless of hour many hours I pour into designing instruction that will meet the needs of all of my students, regardless of how much I cajole, try to convince,
    some of my kids just are not interested or able to learn at that moment. Maybe the student is tired from staying up late playing video games, maybe their family lost food stamps and he or she is hungry.
    Maybe the student really can't pay attention and participate because he or she has ADD, ADHD or bipolar but parents don't have health insurance. Maybe the child doesn't have parents, but lives in foster care. I don't blame the kids for not being able to learn as much as I know they need to, but I don't blame myself either. In the midst of all this, I try to not get caught up in the nastiness of this mess. I try to support the student in learning as much as he or she can and I strive to be a person they can trust. But please, stop blaming me and teachers like me, most of us really want kids to be successful, but we can't make this happen on our own. Students and parents and the community have to share in the responsibility.

• No, providing they get good teaching reviews.

It is sad that teachers have to in many cases confront a class filled with students who are badly raised, perhaps very poor, perhaps on drugs or alcohol at an early age. Teaching to the test just makes teachers feel that they have to push these kids to reach a goal they either can not or can but it will make no difference in their lives.