Should teachers be required to earn education degrees?

• Yes, teachers need education degrees.

There are to many teachers that have earned some random degree and are now teachers. They have not learned any teaching abilities during their time in college. They have not learned how to identify any of the learning styles that their students may have. This keeps them from being effective teachers.

• Yes teachers should be required to earn education degrees.

Yes,teachers should be required to earn education degrees.Certification is the process by which colleges or universities grant professional recognition to a graduate of their program who has completed required coursework in a particular subject area. Because of critical teacher shortages, some states extend temporary and emergency licenses that bypass state licensing requirements. These often are granted to individuals to teach in high-need subject areas, such as mathematics, science, special education, or bilingual education, or for high-need geographic areas such as urban schools.

• Education is important!

One of the main goals teachers have is to show students that education is important. What kind of example is an uneducated teacher showing? That teacher is letting those student believe that they don't need a higher education. This is a profession that should require a higher level of education.

• My Kids Deserve Good Educations

Every teacher, in a public or private school setting, should have a college degree from an accredited institution. We pay taxes to public schools for a reason and we deserve our money's worth. Teachers should even be paid more for everything they have to deal with in school. A college education isn't cheap, but it is necessary for those in a field where teaching children is required. The answer to this question isn't easy as we get what we pay for, but teachers most definitely should have degrees before they can teach at any level.

• Education is the most important thing in everyone's life

The teachers only care for their job or salary.Many schools colleges and universities have hired uneducated teachers.The teachers should have an ability to think before they say anything but the uneducated teachers are just doing what they feel like for them.The students are just an audience whose presence does not make much of a difference as long as the performers are paid

• The Hypocrisy of Christian Education

America has never been divided more than ever. People with doctorate degrees have created more and more complex "blanket formulas" to simple questions. They invent new longer words to make it sound more educated. We have labeled which ones are "good" and "bad" and has not stopped dividing from the day we were born to the last day we give our last breath. What makes a man any better than anyone? In today's Christianity standards, you need to earn a degree to teach "holiness." We will be in luck if more than 2% of all Saints canonized by the Catholic Church can qualify to teach in Catholics Universities today. Should teachers be required to earn education degree? Hell no.

• I am the proof

The short story... I was the "Suits" of teaching and by that I mean I ran a very successful Drafting/Design class for three years and I started with nothing more than 8 yrs. Experience in the field and a vocational tech high school diploma. The program was very successful and had students in a charter school learning as much as the local Vocational Tech school drafting students. My students received internships during there junior and senior year with big companies as well as being in the top 5 of nation competitions in the engineering fields. When I was released I had my Associates and now I am work toward that stupid piece of paper that says I can do what I just proved that I can do. The only thing that upsets me more is that My Students are going to BETTER schools than me in the same field as me!!!!

• Critical Thinking Is The Basis Of Education...

And a degree in Education is not about critical thinking at all. Instead, the primary activity in the typical American university's School of Education is teaching one how to parrot educrat dogma concerning pedagogical methods, metadata, and other such meaningless drivel. Is it any wonder then that students who major in education have the highest grade point averages on campus. H.L. Mencken once said that "The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality." Well, a mediocre, standardized, semi-literate citizenry is exactly what the United States has when we rank 28 of 30 in overall education standards and progress when compared with other industrialized nations.

What we really need are teachers who know their subject matter, possess the ability to think critically, and can subsequently pass on both traits in a way that connects with their students. Instead of increasing bureaucratic requirements concerning certification (i.E. NCLB, National Core Standards, etc.) we need to make the process more efficient by: a.) requiring both undergraduate and graduate degrees be in the subject one is teaching, b.) instituting a student-master teacher apprentice model, and c.) having one certification test that assesses both knowledge and teaching ability.

Thomas Jefferson: "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree."

• No, it doesn't matter degree or not

No, it doesn't matter if a teacher has a degree or not. I have nephew's and nieces that were home schooled by their mother and she had no degree and they turned out fine. We have degreed teachers in schools and yet many schools have a poor graduating record. It is more important that the person teaching cares about the students.

• No they shouldn't

Teachers should be based on their own individual merits as to how good they are or aren't with students, not based on whether they have a piece of paper that says they can teach government propaganda effectively. I don't think degrees in general should hold as big an effect on things as they do really. If you're good at something you're good at it, no matter the paper you have or don't.