Should teens be given the right to make their own decisions?

Asked by: adi_singh
  • Why is everyone so controversial on this topic?

This is really stupid to debate on. I'm a teen typing this, i'm making a choice to write this, your making a choice to read this, and your making a choice to judge this. I'm sorry to tell you this but news flash, NOBODY'S PERFECT YOU LIVE AND YOU LEARN IT- Hannah Montana

• Teenagers should make their own decisions.

Teenagers all around the world rely on their parents for every single piece of information and decision that they need. I believe that teenagers need to make their own decisions otherwise they will be relying on their parents for the rest of their life. And that would be bad. S

• Teenagers are independent.

Teenagers need to learn how the world works and they need to make their own mistakes. This will set them up for life and make them more responsible. Many people beleive that the brain is not fully formed until you reach age 20, but the brain is actually fully formed by the age of about 13 - 15.

• They are growing up and they need to learn how to be independent.

A lot of kids need their parents permission to do almost anything. Such as going to a friend's house or going to the movies with friends. I think that kids at the age of at least 14 should make SOME of their own decisions because they need to know how to make smart choices in life.

• Yes they should.

Today teens can't own a business, make healthcare decisions (except reproductive), marry, get a job without a parent's permission and permission from the state based on a medical exam, they can't leave their home without their parent's permission or they will be considered a "runaway" and cops will arrest them and put them in juvenile justice and anything they buy, even with their own money, can be taken from them by their parents at any time for any reason. Basically their parents control their lives. Before the industrial revolution people got married upon puberty and in all mammal species, the animal is an adult upon puberty. Many Americans believe a misinterpreted study that the brain is not fully competent till 25. It's usually fully competent around 12-15.

• Nothing is perfect!!

I see every body in the no section typing if they will, if they do well if you will give teen a chance to prove himself then you will know about their capability. They need to be given the right of doing what they think is better for them. You who oppose this topic I think you will have no problem if your mother says leave the studies its no use of studies come home and get your hands black in a auto repair shop. I being a teen thinks #My Life My Rules!!!!

• Teens should have the right to make their own decisions.

My greates fear in life is going to the dentist. I have gone multiple times though and I just switched dentist offices. My new dentist is really rough on my teeth and makes my gums bleed by "accidentally" stabbing them. I have never had and sort of cavity or problems with my mouth which proves that I know how to take care of myself and should have the right at my age (14) to say if I need to go to the dentist or night.I THOUGHT AMERICA WAS THE COUNTRY OF FREEDOM

• Older teens should be able to make their own decisions.

While I recognize that younger teens may be too young to make good decisions for themselves, teens from around 15 and up are usually mentally stable enough to form their own opinions and therefore make some of their own decisions. For example, if a 16 year old teen is diagnosed with brain cancer, and the surgery is high risk and will likely put them in a vegetative state but will extend their life, they may not want to have this surgery. However, being a minor, this person cannot make their own decision to not have the surgery, and the parents decide that they must go through with it. Now the teen has been forced to undergo a procedure they were opposed to and likely live out the rest of their live with damaged/limited communication, emotion, and memory. I don't know about, but I wouldn't want someone else taking my life into their own hands like that.

• Yes, teens are infantilized too much.

The detractors to adolescent autonomy should visit Bolivia and see how kids, some as young as 10 years old, have formed a workers' union on their own, with no outside help, consisting only of people under age 18, and successfully lobbied the government to lower the age at which a person can legally work. This takes a level of dedication, teamwork, self-sacrifice, advanced planning, leadership, and discipline that many ADULTS don't even have in America. We should think twice before assuming that teenagers are biologically or mentally incapable of acting independently. If this were the case, then the child workers' union in Bolivia would have never formed. Adolescence is a socially constructed, artificial extension of childhood. Denying people autonomy until age 18 the way it is done in America and the UK is outright oppressive.

• Teens should have the freedom to make their decision

As parents have a talk with you about something that you don't want to listen to or they're yelling at you because you explaining to them about something but they think you are arguing with them.
    Parents also have to tell you what things you can't have and tell you what things you should try to get better but you want to the things they tell you.
    The adults use to decide what they should do but now they can't let their children what they want to do.

• Human brain stops development in early 20s

Since the part of the human brain that affects judgment only stops developing in the early 20s a teen should not be allowed to make their own decisions. Anatomically speaking, they are unable to properly make sound decisions. An adult should make decisions on their part. Don't you think so?

• Teens should not be allowed to make their own decisions

What if teens are allowed to make their own decisions and later make or cause problems for themselves, who are the people going to be the ones going up and down solving the problems the teens have caused? Parents. So why not fix the issue now than making more problems for yourself. Why don't you the parent teach the teen the right way to go so he or she doesn't make any mistake at the time she or he is allowed to explore by themselves. So they can be able to tell right from wrong because i can assure you that some teens that are allowed to explore by themselves without the help of the parents always get worse in life not all but some.

• Teens shouldn't be goven the right

To make their own decisions. As these teens are young, how they perceive the world is different as how an adult perceives the world. For example, whenever teens judge people of the opposite gender, they usually judge a person based on how he/she looks. An adult on the other hand, would judge someone based on their character. Thus, i believe that teens should not be given the right to make their own decisions.

• Friends and fellow countrymen, lend me your ears!

Everybody on this side of the argument is an idiot. Meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep.

• No they should not.

Lets say for instance, if kids are grading their teachers. They should not be able to fire a teacher because you are mad at them. Kids are still young and they should not decide wither or not a teacher keeps their job. Kids brain's aren't even developed yet. Kids are silly.

• It is just the beginning

Teenage is just the beginning of your adulthood.When your are a new recruit in your company do you take all the decisions?NO, because u lack the experience and knowledge.Ultimately the bottom line is that if in case a child is taking a wrong decision his/her parents must have a say.So that later in his life the child does not regret

• Teens aren't experienced enough in life

I believe that teens haven't experienced life as much as adults have. They haven't realised the reality of life yet, which makes them unable to make wise decisions and they end up in a mess. Parents, after all, are there to guide their children through adolescence and prepare them for adulthood. After becoming wise, sensible and mature adults, they may make their decisions all they want. But they should follow their parents' advice for the time being, avoid making hasty decisions and learn as much as they can everyday.

• Teens get as much as they deserve

Asking a teen if they should be able to make their own decisions is not up to anyone but the parents of that teen. They are the ones who can judge the actions of their kid and see if he is worthy enough of making decisions. If not then that means that they weren't behaving in a way that was mature. If you want more authority over your life you need to show that you can act a certain way.

• Possibly Affects Others

Teens' brains aren't matured enough to make their own decisions. This means that teens are likely to make decisions based on emotion (because of their developed limbic system) rather than rationality (because of their undeveloped prefrontal cortex). Teens making bad decisions because of these facts not only affects their future, but also possibly others'.

• No teens should not

I am currently doing a debate on if we should and i believe teens are not capable of making necessary decisions when it come to medical stuff and anything because they can make wrong choices and the parent would not be able to get them professional help is the teen does not so no