Should teens need parental consent to get STD tests?

• Do you want them to die?

Teens will not tell their parents that they have had sex, even if they are sure they have a disease. I guarantee, especially at my school (Its a christian school) they would rather die than have their parents know about their personal life. I need seven more words so... Swag

• They shouldn't need it!!!

They shouldn't because what if they don't have a good relationship with their parent or guardians? So they don't get tested, and go ahead and sleep with someone else, and they're just spreading diseases because they're not getting the attention that they need. This happens especially (not all cases) but in teens that have abusive parents. They think they shouldn't bring it up to the parents attention because they're going to get a beating because they're being sexually active. A lot of the the time, teens are going to have sex whether or not they're parents instilled the right morals into their children, imagine children of parents that didn't? It's very likely they will be having sex anyways, why not help them out in a way?

• No, absolutely not.

I don't see why anyone WOULD say yes to this question. Main reason being, if I'm not mistaken a major problem in teens is giving to peer pressure. Having to ask parents for an STD test gives teens the same kind of fear peer pressure gives-- the fear of being judged by somebody or some other people. If teens don't have to worry about the reaction or judgmental thoughts of their parents/families, there is a much higher chance that they will go through with the test and possibly save themselves in the long run.

• No, teens need to have independence

As a teen, if I had a suspected STD, I would feel incredibly uncomfortable asking my parents for permission for a test. I know a lot of people my age who would put off getting a test, because of the fear of their parents finding out. If one puts off a test, they put themselves a risk of developing a disease that could put their life and health in danger. Undiagnosed diseases can lead to infertility and serious infections. If parental consent is required for STD tests, teens will inevitably stop getting themselves screened. This will then lead to an increase in STDs.

However, if parental consent is needed for such tests, it could lead to teens being sensible and much more wary of unprotected sex, simply because they don't want parents finding out about their promiscuity.

• Teens Should Not Need Parental Consent for STD Testing.

If teens required parental consent for STD testing, they may decide to forgo testing and go untreated, for potential diseases, which could lead to serious complications, including death. Teens may also decide to self treat which could lead to complications as well. Teens should be able to obtain the testing they need and the education on STDs without fear of what their parents may do to them.

• No, definitely not.

Clinics should offer anonymous STD screenings using a simple code assignment system. You take the test, you wait however long, you call in and give them your code to get your results. Why? Because the fear of getting caught, interrogated, punished (or having your partner punished and even locked up unfairly) prevents many young people from getting screened.

• No, definitely not.