Should teens over 13 be allowed to buy and play 'M' rated games?

Asked by: J_Michael234
  • It is fun for the children.

The children don't like boring games or kid games like "The Gloden Compass" or "Pinball" . They want games with guns and play with friends on that game like "Call of Duty Black Ops 2".Everyday I hear children talk about rank and how good they are. Thats what the children want.

• Let TEENS Play What They WANT!

Most teens these days are looking for a rush in the online game world. All the games that they have for kids 13-15 are pretty tame. Video games were meant to be fun for the person playing them, not to bore them to sleep. Most teens who played violent video games found a good balance for their energy. As long as the know the difference between the real world and the virtual world, WHO GIVES A DAMN?!

• Jfk keke krkf

Hh h h h h h h h h h h h h g h g ggg. F f f fg t h y yyy t t thtyy yy y y. Y y y y t y. T t t yyyyyggg t t. T t t t t. T t

• The right to choose, the right to your life

While this might sound like some kid just wanting to play these games, this is not the case. I am 15, and i love these games like Bethesda Fallout, Borderlands, Arma, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, etc. The first game to change me was none of these, but was Medal of Honor Airborne, with the gripping cutscene where a man was run over by a tank, off screen though. I also had happened to have had a few run ins with the police, then I started playing these games. I binged them, and i acted better, haven't had a run in with the police, and do better in school. While I wont say correlation is causation(that's a logical fallacy), I will say the games help me cope when angry, and do not make me want to kill. That is my argument against violence. Now lets move onto language. I will say that I cuss a lot, but do I cuss "responsibly"? In short, yes; Only around my friends and when I do something like dropping a phone or getting hurt, and when that happens, it's under my breath. Now when did I start cussing? Around 7(yes, that include the f word), a whole 7 years before i started playing m games. Now it it possible that these games caused me to cuss more, yes, but it's much more likely that my environment(high school) has increased this. Next is sex, the bane of America. I'll be blunt, sex can create major changes in your life, from STD's to pregnancy, but did playing fallout or GTA(Never got into it though) make me a sex addict? Nope, I'm still a virgin. In fact, I started watching porn at 7(I wondered what it was like, started thinking I was cool and wanted to act like an adult, but yes, I still think before watching porn you should be able to tell that's not what sex is like, and the inherent risks of sex). I even played hentai games, but that didn't get me into having sex? So it possible that video games are the bane of society, yes, but it is more likely that video games are the scape goat of the media(that has died down though). I should also include drugs in this. High schools these days have drugs, and while some games make drugs seem cool, others show the effects of them, like with fallout NV(look at the fiends), and peer pressure is morel likely to make a kid take drugs than a game where the world is hell and people take drugs to escape from it. Taking these factors into account, we can assume that these evil evil m games are not so bad. Maybe we shouldn't just jump to conclusions because of the media.(if you see any flaws in my argument, please point them out for me)

• I don't see why not.

I don't see why you shouldn't, I'm pretty sure kids these days walk on a street and see people swearing and being violent. And that's just stupid, like it's not like you're playing a adult game, it's only a little language or a minimal amount of violence. And it wouldn't like ruin your life or anything, to be honest playing these kind of games would actually make you learn more about life. In my opinion I think it's good for people over or just under 13. Who would want to be 13 and be playing a game like 'my little pony' or 'spongebob' which would be under 'PG'? Playing games that are 'M' actually challenge your mind, they make you think what to do, when to do and how to do. Games like Skate 3 are fun to play and I don't see that ruining peoples lives or making them violent.

• There are bigger things to worry about than video games.

As a student, I can assure you that television, movies, family life, and peers have a larger impact on teenagers than video games do. A child going to school will more than likely see or hear more "curse-words" on a social networking website or at school than in a video game. They will also see more violence on television, where it can be accessed at any time in most households without limitations.

• Of course they should.

Look, they're going to get a hold of them in some way, somehow. If they want to play the game, then they'll desperately try to play it no matter what. Heck, they might even resort to borrowing it from a friend or something. However, it isn't like they aren't going to turn violent just because of a video game, and think 'Well, hey! They did it in the game, so I'm going to try it out!' or anything like that. If they think they can handle it, well let them try it! If they get bloody nightmares, well they'll know to stay away from games like that. Basically, they're most likely already exposed about this sort of thing. And is holding off violence and sexual themes that I'm sure they won't care about going to make a real difference? It's. A. Game. Say it with me. Its, a, bloody, game. The teen most likely won't be traumatized, and if they do, then as I said before, they'll know not to pick games like that again.

• It makes zero sense.

This belief that all persons under 18 are tape recorders who cannot think and simply just repeat everything has to stop.

There have been countless brain studies on blacks/whites, men/women, old adult/young adult, leftie/rightie, and Americans/Chinese. All have found significant results, but the public was just like "Oh, that's nice to know". However, the brain development studies of "minors" vs "adults" is used against any attempt to make life better for a person under an arbitrary age, and for any attempt to restrict them further.

There is a HUUUUUUUGGEEEE difference between an 8-year-old and a 16-year-old. One commenter said "I don't like to hear squeaky voices on CoD", but they should have read the question. It was "teens over 13", not "little kids under 12". Also, how can it be that a person is magically able to "handle" a game at 17, yet can be expected to become a bomber at 16 years 11 months? And don't just say "wait". Carpe diem, my friend.

IMO CoD can actually reduce one's primal urges, since it gives you the opportunity to use them in an environment where the rules of society do not apply.

PS I strongly believe that restrictions on cussword use and "exposure" should be loosened.

• Leave it to the parents

Don't be that dumb parent that ruins their kid's childhood because YOU are too scared to allow them to be shown this kind of media. They will see it, whether you want them to or not, and if they have been pulled too much in the opposite direction they may become bad children due to an overwhelming curiosity (think of Christian school girls).

• M is for Mature. Not Adult.

Mature audience means that they can handle what they see. It is up to the teen themselves to decide what they buy. The M warns them and if they choose to play it and get scared or shocked then it's their fault for playing it in the first place. Also, if you try to restrict all the M rated games for over 18 year olds, there will be thousands of displeased 16 and 17 year olds who play those games anyway.

• Defeats the whole point of the rating system.

The rating system exists to show which games are acceptable for which age groups. This is like asking why 13 year olds aren't allowed to buy tickets to R rated movies. Because that's the law, kids. While there is no good evidence that video games cause violence in children, that doesn't mean that we need to be exposing a 13 year old child to graphic violence, and glamorization of sex and drugs.

• There are ''M'' rates for a reason!

If a game is for mature, then it's for 18+. Who knows what could happen to a 14 year old if they play 18+ games! They could become losers in life! They could be come unsocial! They could become simply idiots! Protect your children parents! Don't let them be failures!

• These games ruin peoples lives

Kids these days have been focusing on video games and less on school. This can result in grades getting worse, students not going to college and job loss. If you play these games you can get addicted, and next thing you know you will be in your moms basement for the rest of your life. These games can also influence you to join the military, become a drug dealer or even shoot a random guy in the face. Basically what I'm saying is, these games are the opposite of good,.

• Most M rated games are NOT for kids

Sure, some games aren't as bad as others, but in general there are a lot more that have sex, intense violence and gore, and tons of swearing as well. Those people who say "it's mature rating means that it should be allowed if you're mature enough" do not quite realize that under 18 is still a kid, 17 is almost a bloody adult, that's why they put so much adult content into it

• Say No to your kids

The people who said no are right. Parents don't let kids play m rated games because they love their kids. If kids played these, they would have nightmares and say cuss words. Garbage in, Garbage out. Games are rated for reasons. The people who said yes are wrong. No M!

• These games ruin peoples lives

• Kids should not be able to play rated M games if they are only 13!

You shouldn't because first of all why would you play a rated M games if you are only thirteen. Even if they are really fun just because they are doesn't mean you should be able to play them. They have a rating on it for a reason no it should stay that way. This is why kids under the age of thirteen shouldn't be able to play or see rated m games.

• There are not old enough

Kids under 18 are still legally children. Most adults have been graduated and are legally responsible. Retailers should restrice the Teen rating (T) and ban sale to children Teen rated games to children under 13 as a 13 year-old is likely more educated than a 8 year-old child. Parents should be more aware about game content which would be appropriate to children.

• No M For You

Kids should not be able to purchase M rated games. They should only be able to get them if they get a parent to help them. Even though this happens, kids shouldn't get because when I play a Call of Duty game, I don't like hearing squeaky kids on their headsets. There is more games that they can play like Minecraft. That game supports a lot of entertainment and your imagination controls the game.

• They're M rated for a reason.

If a game is rated M, it is deemed by the ESRB to be inappropriate for younger audiences. EVEN with parent approval, a game is rated M for a reason. The amount of violence and other possible explicit content should not be exposed to teens. Mature is not a sixteen-year-old.

GeekiTheGreat says2013-05-24T17:16:04.563
No they shouldnt. It says on the box that it isnt recommended for them