• Yes it should.

While I feel sorry for the people who would lose jobs if telemarketing is banned (and I also feel sorry for them to have to do that job, they must get a lot of phones slammed down on them, or in the case of cell phones, simply hung up on them), I think that telemarketing is a real imposition on people, and I can't imagine that it's worthwhile to any company. It should be banned.

• Telemarketing is a waste of time for all involved!

Telemarketing is a waste of time for all parties involved. It rarely results in a sale for the company doing the telemarketing and provides a disturbance in the lives of those who are called. Generally, if someone is interested in a product or service, they will do research and contact companies themselves. There must be better solutions out there that are beneficial to both parties involved that do not entail cold telemarketing.

• The process of telemarketing benefits no one and annoys everyone.

Does anyone really want telemarketing calls? Does anyone really buy the items telemarketers are trying to sell? Does anyone appreciate robocalls from politicians who neatly exempted themselves from the Do Not Call Registry? The process of telemarketing benefits no one and annoys everyone. Companies should be banned from cold calling and should be forced to comply with requests from their customers to opt out of solicitation calls.

• I dont care

Television, news paper, magazines and internet is enough, the phone is for contacting people in case of an emergency or to catch up with friends, i can walk past those people who try to push petitions on the street, so why force me to listen about your shitty product. In fact i even go out of my way to avoid buying from companies that telemarket because they dont deserve my money if they're spending theirs to piss me off

• Abused by scumbags

In theory, telemarketing should only be practised by those whom you have directly consented to and directly provided your details to. Your details are often passed around between companies and persisted on databases that you cannot be removed from leading to endless pestering and your telephone number being 'spoilt' forever. Because it is not in the interest of telemarketers to remove your details from their database, they will often not bother even when directly asked to. Also automated telemarketing machines are pointless and tend to verge on phishing more than selling a service.

• Abused by scumbags

• Abused by scumbags

• Abused by scumbags

• Abused by scumbags

• Abused by scumbags

• It workss great!

I work in telesales upgrading orange consumers phones, some of them have no idea that they can update there phone. So on that basis where doing them a favour, if people are polite i always remove them from the system and work for a telesales company youd be suprised at the amount of sales made through it! All you who dont like it need to grow a pair, its a quick phone call not life in prison

• People have to eat

Telemarketers bother everyone with their annoying pitches, especially the prerecorded ones. But the thing is in a market economy, we have to be careful how we regulate commerce and must consider the fact that several companies will shut down without this kind of aggressive approach. That would mean a loss of jobs. There are ways to curb telemarketers. And you can always say "no" or hang up the phone.

• We already have a do-not-call registry.

I like being telemarketed. If telemarketing is done appropriately and at reasonable hours, then it should not be banned. However, people should be able to choose at what time they will be called. If they want to be called at night, they can be call at night. If they want to be called only at 12:00PM-12:30 PM, call only 12:00PM-12:30 PM. They can already see our phone numbers in the phone book or just make it up and that combination happens to be our phone number.

• I'm a telemarketer. ;-)

Hi folks - I'm sure that my views may be regarded with somewhat of a baleful eye, as I'm actually a telemarketer - an Imp of Satan - myself. You may think that telemarketers are some kind of talentless, avaricious morons whose only goal in life is to irritate and upset you.

This isn't the case. It IS the case if a telemarketing company is run incorrectly or employs the wrong staff.

I don't fit the standard telemarketing profile. I'm nearly 50, an ex IT professional with a degree in English, I'm very well spoken and exceedingly polite. My day is spent professionally representing my company: I learned a long time ago that trying to persuade people to buy anything doesn't work. Good telemarketing is about communication and the ability to listen to who you're speaking to and being realistic. If we know you're using say, Finance Package X and we write software which integrates with it and brings useful value, then a polite call to introduce the company, ask if there may be any future interest and when it would be convenient to call back is actually *useful*.

Telemarketing seems to be being confused with nuisance, nonsense calls nowadays. I've seen it done wrong at so many firms, who employ talentless and unmotivated kids who are then pressured into making hundreds of calls a day. To say telemarketing - proper telemarketing - is wrong is to say that marketing and sales calls are wrong: without these, industry would just not work. Pressure calls are wrong, no two doubts about it.

But when someone very politely calls you, puts no pressure on you, asks nicely, listens and treats you with respect and and attempt at understanding.... Where can the objection be ?

Bad telemarketing should be regulated. But please don't tar us all with the same brush.

Cheers
    Dave

• No, telemarketing should not be banned

Telemarketing is perfectly fine, when handled appropriately and politely. Examples of polite telemarketing include donation drives for Firefighters and Policeman. Universities and other educational sources also use telemarketing for fundraising. While examples of negative telemarketing also exists, and the stereotypical phone call during dinner is awful, these can easily be thwarted with "Do Not Call" lists