• Text messaging while driving takes the driver's focus off the road, which is dangerous.

Drivers must be mindful about what is going on around the vehicle while driving. Because text messaging takes the driver's focus off of what is going on around the vehicle, it is unsafe. Making driving while text messaging illegal imposes a consequence for the dangerous activity; that consequence may save a life, which would make the law worthwhile.

Posted by: KnownLawerence
  • Texting while driving is a visual distraction from the road.

Texting requires more than a quick glance like you would use when dialing or answering a phone. The lack of attention to the road and traffic in front of you is very dangerous for the texting driver and all those in their vicinity. The enforcement of anti-texting laws is difficult at best and probably will be enforced only when an accident results or the driver presents obviously impaired behavior.

Posted by: EweIICist
  • Yes, text messaging while driving should be illegal, because it too distracting to the act of driving.

Text messaging has grown to become very popular to many teens and even adults, in the past few years. It can be very useful, but it can also be very distracting when driving. When you drive, you should be focusing on the road, not your phone. If you text message while driving, you lose your concentration and increase the risk of injury to yourself and to others. Text messaging while driving should be illegal, because it increases the risk for accidents and it isn't even needed. If you must contact someone while driving, at least call the person on speakerphone.

Posted by: ViolentKurt59
  • Texting while driving leads to injury and death, and it should be illegal in all states.

People who text and drive are a menace to everyone, including themselves. Personally, I think it should be illegal to have your cell phone turned on while driving. It is a distraction that leads to death and could easily be avoided, if people were more responsible. You have the invincible teenagers and the adults who think "I've made this drive so many times, I could do it in my sleep". Not one age group is immune to this. Those who think they can text and drive are as equally stupid. Living and commuting in California, I have passed more bodies than I'd like, draped in a yellow tarp, lying in the middle of the freeway. Driving can be dangerous enough, so don't add to it by texting. Don't be a statistic, and don't make someone else one either.

Posted by: 5h4bbyHaIey
  • People should not be distracted while driving; all your senses need to concentrate on the task at hand.

It has been proven that texting is dangerous while driving and is responsible for many accidents. Eyes should be on the road, and hands should be on the steering wheel. One's mind and concentration should be on driving and paying attention for optimum safety. Teens are the most numerous group of texters and also the most inexperienced drivers.

Posted by: NettN355
  • Texting while driving should be illegal, because it impairs your ability as bad as drunk driving.

There is no reason whatsoever that text messaging should be legal while driving. It is one of the most dangerous ways you can drive. Your attention is not at all focused on the road, and your reaction time slows way down. Some have found that it is almost as bad as drunk driving. This means that it is just as dangerous, and there is no place for it on the road.

Posted by: M0r3Interior
  • Text messaging is highly distracting and dangerous behind the wheel.

Anybody who has tried to even talk to someone while they are text messaging knows that most of what you said to them wasn't even heard. They were focused on text messaging, nothing else. That should make it quite clear that trying to text message while driving might be more dangerous than driving while intoxicated. We take the ease of driving for granted and have forgotten that we are in control of a heavy machine capable of causing great devastation.

Posted by: BrianDj
  • Text messaging while driving is worse than driving under the influence.

Anyone that text drives should be held accountable for their actions and should be ticketed. When a person is texting he has to take his eyes off the road and look at his phone. When he does this he is clearly distracted and is not looking at the road nor where he is going. While texting and driving this person is not only putting their own life at risk, they are putting the lives at risk all the other people on the road. There should be stiff laws on a grand scale and the laws should come from the federal government. When people have accidents caused by texting it not only puts themselves at risk or other people, it causes property damage and also causes damages to private and public property. It also causes insurance rates along with personal insurance to increase. And when this happens the offset the insurance companies have because they had to pay a claim gets passed on to consumers who have had nothing to do with the accident. So in my opinion when someone has an accident because they were texting and driving, everybody pays the price.

Posted by: SlipArnal
  • No it shouldnt

People can use blue tooth or siri while driving. There is a switch on your phone that you can turn on and with out touching your phone you can say '' hey siri''. You dont need to touch your phone and you can tell it to do anythong and it will work.

• It is bad for you cause you can die

If you text and drive you could die and your kids could get really hurt. When you take your eyes off the road you could get in a accident. Texting while driving is very deadly.If you are at a red light it is okay as long as you make sure the light is green and you put your phone down.

• Texting and driving is an easy thing to do.

If you cannot text and drive you really should not be driving. I believe that in America today they should have a texting and driving portion to drivers ed. The new generation of technology users should be able to execute a text message while on the road with ease. I play my PSP (a portable gaming device) while driving all the time. There really is no argument here.

• It depends on what you mean by "Driving"

I see nothing wrong with texting at a red light, as long as your foot is on the brake and you're scanning back and forth, checking on the traffic light and your surroundings. But if you are driving (which in my opinion means the car is physically moving) then yes, it should be illegal. You should be ticketed immediately for endangering others around you by not looking at the road while the car is in motion.

• Texting while driving should not be illegal because people should just follow their common sense.

I can understand and appreciate the need to want to monitor texting while driving, however, a person should have enough common sense to know when it is fine to do it and when not to. There are times when it is ok to do it, like when stuck in a traffic jam or stopped at a red light. I feel that if someone gets into an accident while texting that strong fines should be put in.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • I do not believe text messaging while driving should be illegal, because there are many who can do it safely.

I do not believe text messaging while driving should be illegal. I feel that, if a person is unable to drive responsibly while texting, then they should not text while driving. Many people are able to text while sitting for various lengths of time in traffic, with no incident, and should be allowed to continue to do so.

Posted by: TickoCa22
  • Njnj jj j

Ujkbj gc c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c

• Consider other passengers

If in an accident, you would be responsible for any injuries or deaths. You would also cause a yourself to get injured or to come to death. I don't see why people think this should be legal. If you need to check your phone, pull over or wait till you get where you need to be.

• I do not believe text messaging while driving should be illegal, because there are many who can do it safely

Base don the fact that the law had been unsuccessful preventing driver from texting and driving, it is safe to say is a battle they are not going to win, also almost every cell phone device has a voice command or automation in it, so it enables some one to text and drive. Also we all get those amber alerts and i know 100% of concern politicians are looking down at their cell phones and reading those alerts, as-well as the traffic and accident ones,

• It will indeed make matters worse

People will be trying to hide their cellular devices to prevent police officers from seeing them. This willl in fact make it more dangerous because the phone will be lowered. This meansones eyes will be lowered and distracted. Studies have shown that bans on texting and driving have in fact raised the amount of acidents associated with texting and driving. I mean seriously think back to prohibition.

Anonymous says2013-03-18T13:58:20.053
i think that you should not text while drive because you can get in a car accident. also i kind of agree with the person who said it should be okay to text at a red light but think about it if you keep your foot on the brakeyou could accidently pull out on to the road and kill yourself or the other person.