• Yes, it has been abused for creating anchor babies

Some of the "no" answers don't even have their amendments straight. The 15th, not the 14th granted the vote to former slaves. Last year, nearly 300,000 Chinese women came to the US to give birth, and many more illegal immigrants come here for the same reason. Not to become citizens themselves, but to take advantage of entitlements. Congress needs to address this issue.

• Those voting no should at least get their facts straight.

The concept of "anchor babies" did not exist when the 14th Amendment was written after the Civil War, mainly to assure former slaves of citizenship. One person seemed to confuse this with the 15th Amendment, which gave black males the right to vote. Last year, nearly 300,000 Chinese women came to the U.S. to deliver their babies, and many illegal immigrants use the law, as well. Legal immigrants should certainly be granted citizenship for their children, but this law is being abused, and should be addressed in Congress.

• Snake or die

U i

ii
    i

s
    g
    adsfddfsdf
    d
    fdsff f f f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f

• Yes, it was originally intended to protect blacks because they were brought here.

Today however it has changed to allow anyone that steps foot here and has a kid to claim American relatives. Being born in a piece of land doesn't magically make you an American. Its the culture, the values you follow, where your loyalties lie.

Anchor babies have been a huge problem in Spain and they are beginning to change this, and more and more low skilled and uneducated individuals coming into the country are using such tactic to stay. ANd yet what can they provide for their kid? Do they value education? This country over their native one, this culture over their native one?

Again, being born on a piece of land doesn't magically make you its citizen, it isn't blood or location that matters is the culture you follow.

Posted by: N711
  • Why Change It Now?

I believe that the 14th amendment should not be changed now but later because there is no need to change it now and have a huge racial issue going on between people. We don't need to have anymore racial violence going on in the United States because politicians want to change the 14th amendment.

• The 14th Amendment should not be changed.

The U.S. is based on the idea that all men and women are equal and have equal rights. The 14th Amendment helps to enforce that ideal by giving people American citizenship when they are born. It was originally written to make slaves citizens, but it is still very important today.

• No It Doesn't

I do not believe the 14th amendment needs to be changed. I believe the 14th amendment contains several different changes that should remain intact. While some of these pertain to immigration and citizenship I don't believe it covers everything that we need to in immigration reform, which is really what we need to spend time on.

It is my belief that all men and women are created equal. There should absolutely be no legal restrictions based on your involvement in a certain ethnic group. If anyone is able to say that a black man should be entitled to less simply because he is black must have excrement for a brain.

• No, it protects citizens against the power of the state

The Fourteenth Amendment is fine just as it is. This Civil
    War amendment was passed to fight the aftereffects of slavery, but it is still
    useful today. It was the constitutional basis for the Roe v Wade decision that
    gave women choice, and for the Brown v the Board of Education decision that
    attacked racial segregation in public schools. This amendment is a bulwark of
    civil rights, and stands opposed to the reactionary forces that masquerade as supporters
    of state’s rights.

• 14th Amendment should not change

The 14th amendment gave blacks the right to vote just like white citizens and it should not be changed. I do not believe any amendment should be changed because they were carefully written and thought through by our founding fathers. The 14th amendment needs to stay in place most definitely.

• No, the 14th amendmet should not be changed.

I do not think the 14th amendment should be changed. I think that to even think it is ridiculous. The 14th amendment insures that every citizen in America is given equal rights. I do not see how anyone can be against that type of belief. That is why I do not think it should be changed.