• 13 Year Olds Are Both Mentally And Physically Mature Enough

13 year olds are both mentally and physically mature to have sex and not get the female party pregnant. Both families should know and agree, and both parties should be using protection. Otherwise, 13 year olds can very well be in love, and if it's an act of love, go ahead!

• Yes as long as both families agree. Humans know right from wrong when they are around 7.

They should also have to get a job and work at 13. Americans are just gonna get fatter and lazier and soon this country will start treating people in their mid 20s like children. We need to get back to the way things used to be. Americans are immature because they have terrible parenting. I started working in my dad's shop when I was 8 years old, graduated high school at 16, had save my first 10k (that I earned myself) before my 18th birthday, graduated college at 19, and paid off my home at 29. I also became sexually active at 13, I knew the consequences of my actions because I was made to take more and more care of myself at an early age. Parents now days want to hold their kids hands until they are 30. It's time for Americans to grow up. I'm not saying it's right to prey on the young, but what parents are doing isn't good either, stop sheltering and start letting them be responsible for their own actions.

• All of Your Arguments Are Wrong Continuation

4) It's against your religion.
    God, this one pisses me off. You are WRONG.
    There's this wonderful thing called separation of church and state, which basically says that religion and government should remain separate to protect religious freedom. This isn't always done correctly, but it's definitely important. Basically, government should not make laws based on religion or make laws about religion. Religion is a personal thing to be kept within your family or religious group, not forced upon others. Not everyone agrees with or believes in your religion, so in a country where religious freedom is a right, the government should not make laws that apply to everyone only based on one religion.
    5) Teen pregnancy and disease
    This is a valid concern, but again, you are wrong.
    I already brought this up once, but it's the same answer to this problem. Proper sex education with medically accurate information that does not push religious beliefs on the whole student body who may or may not believe in that religion, and also gives the accurate and useful information about sex and it's risks and how to be safe...My point is the good sex ed = Much less teen pregnancy and less disease. It also helps sexual empowerment and helps teens know it's okay to say no. Criminalization of sex and turning into this taboo thing to never speak of DOES NOT help anyone. We've already established that teens are having sex, legally or not, but when you make sex illegal you also make teachers afraid to teach sex for fear of being prosecuted. Making sex between teens illegal doesn't stop them from having it, it just turns regular teens into criminals, and turns them into sexual illiterates. Lowering the age of consent would allow for better sex ed, which would prevent all the problems of teen pregnancy, disease, and would help each teen be better prepared against sexual assault. It would also de-criminalize all the perfectly normal teens currently having sex. I also believe that lowering the age of consent would help lower the number of "sex offenders and rapists" in jail who were prosecuted for having sex with someone just under the age of consent while they were just over it. These people have committed no real crime, they were simply having sex with their partner, someone they cared for, but were sent to jail for many years and had their whole life taken away because they happened to be 2 or 3 years older.

• YES they CAN give consent... NO it ISN'T rape if they give consent...

First, here is the definition of consent:

Consent- permission for something to happen or agreement to do something. (or), The act of giving permission for something to happen.

If the 13-16 year old is educated properly about sex and knows how to practice sex safely, then how do they not know what they are doing?!?!?? If they give give consent, understand the consequences of practicing sex, and their sexual partner is safe and responsible, then why should it even matter if they have sex?

I bet the real reason behind this "consent" bullshit is that parents can't cope with the fact that an older gentleman is sleeping with their daughter. Or maybe it's because the dad is frustrated by the fact that his son was able to lose his virginity much younger than him.

-note-

This was written by someone bellow the age of 17. (Not some 40-50 year old creep)

• When does a girl become a woman who can decide if she wants to have sex or not?

Did you know everyone under legal age (16, 17, 18) is physically a child and mentally not mature enough to decide if they want to have sex or not.....And then.....When they turn legal age they all of a sudden become a woman and they all of a sudden become mature enough to decide if they want to have sex or not.......Im being sarcastic......You people who think it's ok to put guys in jail for having consensual sex with a woman, not a child, a woman, your not going by logic on this topic your going by emotion then.

• Stop sending kids to jail

FLORIDA boy is 14 virgin and a neighborhood boy toy, she's 17 , has sex with the 14 year old boy. The boy has to go on the run facing 10 years in prison. After much public outcry the kid got probation but must register as a sex offender. What's wrong with this pucture? See another like this in Readers Digest called Justice Gone Wild, and these are not isolated incidents.

• At 13, women are at their highest level of physical attractiveness to men.

Men do not reach their highest level of physical attractiveness to women until their 20s, or later for some. This is a biological mechanism which allows men (the selectors of our species) to select the youngest, presumably healthiest women to carry their children. This is not gender inequality. It is evolutionary science. Say what you will - it is not 'scummy' for a 25 year old man to desire sex with a 13 year old girl. If he is a normal, straight male, he is neurologically hard-wired to want this. This does not make him an evil scumbag. 13 year old girls are softer, thinner, smaller, tighter, and more feminine than older women - even girls in their late teens. What makes a man evil is when he uses said 13 year old only for his sexual desires while allowing her to fall in love with him only to be kicked to the curb when he finds an exclusive partner or a more interesting plaything.

I could go on, but I will leave you with this question: Is it wrong for a 13 year old girl to want to have sex with a 25 year old man?

• Definitely yes, Perhaps 12 even

Teach better sexual education in schools
    But sex should not be something feared.
    You can't put an age on when someone is ready for sex, everyone matures at their own pace
    But a 13 year old is responsible enough to make this desicion.
    Expecially if they learn about safe sex, sti's and pregnancy earlier
    then they can make responsible choices

• Because once you're of age to reproduce, you're fair game.

Once you're of age to reproduce, you should fair game in the dating world. "Kids" younger than that used to take on much more adult rolls years ago, but we're so involved in coddling and sheltering kids these days that they're happy with spewing the "I'm just a kid" excuse well into their 20s. If you're worried about lowering the age limit because they cannot make such "adult decisions" then why is the age of consent 16 or younger in most places? 3 years doesn't make much of a difference to me. They look pretty much the same and damn sure aren't smarter in a lot of cases. We should be striving to prepare kids for these types of decisions earlier on so that they can choose for themselves if they want to engage in such activities. I find most girls will start losing their luster after about 21-30 years old anyways, so lowering age of consent standards will only help girls to find these aggrandized romances they've been so indoctrinated to seek out, and maybe they'll learn that there are more important things to focus on than all the lovey dovey, material romance BS promoted by the media. They'll also be that much more physically desirable for an even longer period of time. BTW I am not a pedophile. Pedophilia involves attraction towards prepubescent children, not young adults. I just happen to prefer my women unspoiled by age and cynicism.

• What perv thinks this is ok?

13 year olds ARE CHILDREN. No one in their right mind would think a 13 year old has the emotional maturity to knowingly consent to sexual relations with an adult. 13 years olds should be shielded from predators who want to abuse them this way and anyone who is so delusional as to think that 13 years old is an adult should be punched in the face.

• It encourages grooming and abuse

In the UK the age of consent is 16. I believe that this is the right age for the law to stand at. But to think that influential people believe that it should be lowered to 13, it just disgusts me! We cannot let these perverts abuse anymore young children and let them get away with it.

• Not 13 but maybe 15 or 16.

Some people say "they are just children" but really who's fault is that? For at least the first couple centuries A.D. And earlier, people were married and supported themselves usually between 11-14. They handled all adult responsibilities, including sex. If they could do it then, why not now? The only reason 13 year olds are to immature is because of how we raise them. Mothers don't want their "babies" to grow up, father's want their daughters to stay "daddy's little girl" forever, and so they baby and coddle their children, some still holding their kids' hands WELL into their mid-twenties. This does them no favors. Also this isn't about adults taking advantage of minors, there are already plenty of laws regarding real rape and real sexual assault, and if your argument is "protect the children that I refuse to let grow up" then make laws for REAL rape and REAL sexual adult much stricter when the victim is a minor, but it should not be illegal for them to have sex. As things stand now even minor on minor sex is illegal, would you want your kid to go to jail as a minor for having sex with a minor boyfriend or girlfriend who may even be the same age?? Why should we call them criminals for doing what they are biological programmed to do? I think that right now 13 is too young (at the fault of the parents) but 15 or 16 is not. Most of them already have jobs in addition to school, they drive cars, they handle plenty of adult responsibility and they definitely know what sex is, what the risks are and there outcomes. So why not? Hell most of them are tried as adults if they break the law, why are they adults if they break the law but children if they want to have sex? And besides, most 15+teens are having sex anyway, why should we call them criminals for doing what their bodies are biologically programmed to do? If we were meant to have sex older than that, wouldn't puberty occur at a later age?? I say for now lower it to 15 or 16 everywhere then gradually change how we raise our kids, increase sex ed and actually teach them right from younger ages and watch as they prove to us again, as they had for centuries in the past, that they can, in fact, handle adult responsibilities, then at that point you could consider lowering it to 13.

• No, the age of consent should not be lowered to 13.

At the age of thirteen, children still are very immature and don't completely understand the meaning behind their actions. They are too young to be having sex. At that age they are just really staring puberty and they don't understand how to protect themselves. The age of consent should be sixteen or seventeen.

• Yes, It Should Be Lowered, But...

Yes, I do believe the age of consent should be lowered, but at 13, people aren't mature at all and many things aren't opened up for a child at the age of 13. If it was to be lowered, I think it should be lowered to something more mature such as a 16 year old.

• No Consent At 13

Although A 13 Year Old May Look As Though They Are Capable Of Making Decisions Of This Nature, In Actuality They Are Not And Regret It Later In Life. They Are Too Easily Influenced By Peer Pressure And By The Thought Of The "Act" Of Doing Something "Grown Up". Simply Put, Most Teens At 13 Are Naive And Don't Realize The Gravity Of An Early Pregnancy On Their Future.

Children under the age of 18, and some even over the age of 18 do not have fully developed emotional and decision making skills that would suggest they are capable of making decisions about sexual activity. A 13 year old, especially female, does not understand what it means to be pregnant or care for a child, and should not be considered old enough to consent to opening themselves to that possibility. A child must be given a chance to adjust to their changing bodies, emotions, and possible parental roles and expectations before opening them to the possibility of being put in sexual situations by those older (or even the same age) as them.

• Cannot give consent

Of course not, how is this even a debate? I was lead to believe that the age in question would be 16, but there's no way a 13 year old can give consent. Consent is the only thing that should matter, and the fact is that those under 16 cannot give it.

• Oh HELL NAH

13 year olds cant even clean their rooms or do their laundry, They cant even clean their booty right imagine them being responsable to open they legs wide open have sex nahha. They cant even take a selfie right without that dumb peace sign but they can send nudes naha no thank you just promoting sex and bringing more aids to th country we will have have some kind of hunger games thing to see how doesnt have sex so that we can be safe Thanks America

• UM obviously not

Most thirteeen year olds cant even wash their own laundry but they cant even wash their laundry but they can go ahead and let their legs fly wide open and hump each others like dogs um i dont think so these kidss can even pass a class bu they think its ok to pass genital infections to everyone no thank you. But is this what American wants to gives us, they are promoting early sex and then they dont know what do do when half the country has genital infections thanks AMerica