• 13 Year Olds Are Both Mentally And Physically Mature Enough

13 year olds are both mentally and physically mature to have sex and not get the female party pregnant. Both families should know and agree, and both parties should be using protection. Otherwise, 13 year olds can very well be in love, and if it's an act of love, go ahead!

• Yes as long as both families agree. Humans know right from wrong when they are around 7.

They should also have to get a job and work at 13. Americans are just gonna get fatter and lazier and soon this country will start treating people in their mid 20s like children. We need to get back to the way things used to be. Americans are immature because they have terrible parenting. I started working in my dad's shop when I was 8 years old, graduated high school at 16, had save my first 10k (that I earned myself) before my 18th birthday, graduated college at 19, and paid off my home at 29. I also became sexually active at 13, I knew the consequences of my actions because I was made to take more and more care of myself at an early age. Parents now days want to hold their kids hands until they are 30. It's time for Americans to grow up. I'm not saying it's right to prey on the young, but what parents are doing isn't good either, stop sheltering and start letting them be responsible for their own actions.

• All of Your Arguments Are Wrong Continuation

4) It's against your religion.
    God, this one pisses me off. You are WRONG.
    There's this wonderful thing called separation of church and state, which basically says that religion and government should remain separate to protect religious freedom. This isn't always done correctly, but it's definitely important. Basically, government should not make laws based on religion or make laws about religion. Religion is a personal thing to be kept within your family or religious group, not forced upon others. Not everyone agrees with or believes in your religion, so in a country where religious freedom is a right, the government should not make laws that apply to everyone only based on one religion.
    5) Teen pregnancy and disease
    This is a valid concern, but again, you are wrong.
    I already brought this up once, but it's the same answer to this problem. Proper sex education with medically accurate information that does not push religious beliefs on the whole student body who may or may not believe in that religion, and also gives the accurate and useful information about sex and it's risks and how to be safe...My point is the good sex ed = Much less teen pregnancy and less disease. It also helps sexual empowerment and helps teens know it's okay to say no. Criminalization of sex and turning into this taboo thing to never speak of DOES NOT help anyone. We've already established that teens are having sex, legally or not, but when you make sex illegal you also make teachers afraid to teach sex for fear of being prosecuted. Making sex between teens illegal doesn't stop them from having it, it just turns regular teens into criminals, and turns them into sexual illiterates. Lowering the age of consent would allow for better sex ed, which would prevent all the problems of teen pregnancy, disease, and would help each teen be better prepared against sexual assault. It would also de-criminalize all the perfectly normal teens currently having sex. I also believe that lowering the age of consent would help lower the number of "sex offenders and rapists" in jail who were prosecuted for having sex with someone just under the age of consent while they were just over it. These people have committed no real crime, they were simply having sex with their partner, someone they cared for, but were sent to jail for many years and had their whole life taken away because they happened to be 2 or 3 years older.

• At 13, women are at their highest level of physical attractiveness to men.

Men do not reach their highest level of physical attractiveness to women until their 20s, or later for some. This is a biological mechanism which allows men (the selectors of our species) to select the youngest, presumably healthiest women to carry their children. This is not gender inequality. It is evolutionary science. Say what you will - it is not 'scummy' for a 25 year old man to desire sex with a 13 year old girl. If he is a normal, straight male, he is neurologically hard-wired to want this. This does not make him an evil scumbag. 13 year old girls are softer, thinner, smaller, tighter, and more feminine than older women - even girls in their late teens. What makes a man evil is when he uses said 13 year old only for his sexual desires while allowing her to fall in love with him only to be kicked to the curb when he finds an exclusive partner or a more interesting plaything.

I could go on, but I will leave you with this question: Is it wrong for a 13 year old girl to want to have sex with a 25 year old man?

• Definitely yes, Perhaps 12 even

Teach better sexual education in schools
    But sex should not be something feared.
    You can't put an age on when someone is ready for sex, everyone matures at their own pace
    But a 13 year old is responsible enough to make this desicion.
    Expecially if they learn about safe sex, sti's and pregnancy earlier
    then they can make responsible choices

• Because once you're of age to reproduce, you're fair game.

Once you're of age to reproduce, you should fair game in the dating world. "Kids" younger than that used to take on much more adult rolls years ago, but we're so involved in coddling and sheltering kids these days that they're happy with spewing the "I'm just a kid" excuse well into their 20s. If you're worried about lowering the age limit because they cannot make such "adult decisions" then why is the age of consent 16 or younger in most places? 3 years doesn't make much of a difference to me. They look pretty much the same and damn sure aren't smarter in a lot of cases. We should be striving to prepare kids for these types of decisions earlier on so that they can choose for themselves if they want to engage in such activities. I find most girls will start losing their luster after about 21-30 years old anyways, so lowering age of consent standards will only help girls to find these aggrandized romances they've been so indoctrinated to seek out, and maybe they'll learn that there are more important things to focus on than all the lovey dovey, material romance BS promoted by the media. They'll also be that much more physically desirable for an even longer period of time. BTW I am not a pedophile. Pedophilia involves attraction towards prepubescent children, not young adults. I just happen to prefer my women unspoiled by age and cynicism.

• Lower the Age of Consent to 11 !

- 11 is usually the age humans start being able to reproduce
    - To help avoid criminalizing sex between two high school pupils

It is obvious that the age of consent is much too high in most of the world, The reasoning behind placing the age of consent at 16 is deeply flawed. After all who is likely to give a young person a good time? Someone well experienced or some fumbling kid? I think i know what I would prefer if i were a kid again.
    If Spain can place the age of consent at 13, then why cant the rest of the world do the right thing and place it at 11?

• Yes sure why not

According to the Research statistic says that countries which set their maximum limit of age of consent at 16-18 belong to the 5 Top highest child rape and sexual abuse in the world.Top ranks:1st south africa 2st India 3rd Zimbabwe 4st United Kingdom 5st United State.Yes it should be lowered.

• Yessssss!!!! They need older men to teach them real love, not Little boys. Consent in all 50 state's of the U.S. be dropped to 13!

When this country changed the age of consent to 16 it was to help protect girls from being raped and murdered, but now girls as young as 13 are very womanly in there bodies and like older men in their late 20s- early 30s they do have the knowledge and mind and body to persuade older men into giving them what they want. I understand that there are a lot of sick men out there but there are also a lot of good loving caring men that do want families of their own some day. Guys in the 20s-30s know what it takes to make a girl happy and healthy and to always be there for them, but now if a 13-18 year old boy got a 13 year old pregnant he would just run and leave her to take care of it herself. Now guys in their 20s-30s are still young them selves in both mind and body with a little bit more maturity but not much more than a 13 year old girl and these men who just want to be happy and are attracted to girls witch is natural are single and lonely because no matter what age a girl is she is always interested in older men, so 20s-30s old girls are marrying 40-50 year old men so a 50 year old man can fall in love with someone 20 years younger than him but if a 33 year old man falls in love with a 13 year old girl and truly loves her he has to spend life in prison!!??? This is messed up because that man fell in love and now if he was allowed to marry her and be with her she would have a great life without being heart broken by young men and never getting to know what true love actually is. Most marriages end in divorce and I strongly believe that if girls where aloud to love older men at a young age they would learn how to be loyal instead of slutty and men wouldn't cheat because let's face it the men that do cheat are cheating because they want someone younger sexier and able to keep up with them, woman lose their energy a lot sooner than men and women also get older quicker than men. All of this said I strongly believe our country would be a lot better with people staying married and their would be less girls screaming rape because most of the time they only scream rape because they got caught and didn't want to get in trouble them selves and honest men that cared for them get life in prison. Now i do also strongly believe no matter a boys age if they force a girl for any reason at any point in time they do deserve to go to prison or the death penalty as long as there is proof that he did so,

• Yes it should be lowered to 13

I have to say as a very honest loving and caring man that if a 13 year old wonderful beautiful girl had fallen in love with me at 30 I am still young at mind and by the time I hit full maturity at 40 she will hit full maturity at 23 that gives the time to fall in love and if a 13 year old fell in love with me I would treat her like a Queen and give her every reason to love me and know that I would always be by her side, look at it this way I can be attracted to someone that young and I can love someone that you and girls find love at that age but boys at that age are completely stupid and don't really care about what the girl wants or needs and most girls end up pregnant because there stupid teenage boyfriend's don't care about protection as an older man we know the importance of that protection and the importance of that love shown to such a young girl, now if a girl at 13 falls in love with a 30 year old man but can't be with him because of a stupid law then she ends up pregnant by some stupid boy that won't stand by her and help raise the child and now that girls life and youth had been forever changed. Now if she was allowed to be with the 30 year old man she fell in love with that man is more likely to make sure that she doesn't get pregnant until she is older and instead of her dating boy after boy after boy trying to know what love is and never finding it, dating an older man she would find that love early and never have to deal with heart breaking emotional stress and she wouldn't have to raise a kid at such a young age. And let's say she did get pregnant at 13 by a 30 year old she still wouldn't have to do much because the 30 year old would be mature enough to take care of the child while the 13 year old can still go to school and have an education. Now with all of that said now of day guy in their 20s and 30s have to wait till they are 40 just to be with someone because young girls want older men. These men are lonely because all of the men in their 40s -50s are taking all the women in their 20s-30s I truly think that the problem lies in men being too young not women. Women know what they want as young as 11 guys don't figure out what they want till they are almost 30 I say if the man is loving caring and passionate about being in love with a 12-13 year old that girl is going to have a much better life then she will with someone her own age.

• What perv thinks this is ok?

13 year olds ARE CHILDREN. No one in their right mind would think a 13 year old has the emotional maturity to knowingly consent to sexual relations with an adult. 13 years olds should be shielded from predators who want to abuse them this way and anyone who is so delusional as to think that 13 years old is an adult should be punched in the face.

• It encourages grooming and abuse

In the UK the age of consent is 16. I believe that this is the right age for the law to stand at. But to think that influential people believe that it should be lowered to 13, it just disgusts me! We cannot let these perverts abuse anymore young children and let them get away with it.

• No, the age of consent should not be lowered to 13.

At the age of thirteen, children still are very immature and don't completely understand the meaning behind their actions. They are too young to be having sex. At that age they are just really staring puberty and they don't understand how to protect themselves. The age of consent should be sixteen or seventeen.

• Not 13 but maybe 15 or 16.

Some people say "they are just children" but really who's fault is that? For at least the first couple centuries A.D. And earlier, people were married and supported themselves usually between 11-14. They handled all adult responsibilities, including sex. If they could do it then, why not now? The only reason 13 year olds are to immature is because of how we raise them. Mothers don't want their "babies" to grow up, father's want their daughters to stay "daddy's little girl" forever, and so they baby and coddle their children, some still holding their kids' hands WELL into their mid-twenties. This does them no favors. Also this isn't about adults taking advantage of minors, there are already plenty of laws regarding real rape and real sexual assault, and if your argument is "protect the children that I refuse to let grow up" then make laws for REAL rape and REAL sexual adult much stricter when the victim is a minor, but it should not be illegal for them to have sex. As things stand now even minor on minor sex is illegal, would you want your kid to go to jail as a minor for having sex with a minor boyfriend or girlfriend who may even be the same age?? Why should we call them criminals for doing what they are biological programmed to do? I think that right now 13 is too young (at the fault of the parents) but 15 or 16 is not. Most of them already have jobs in addition to school, they drive cars, they handle plenty of adult responsibility and they definitely know what sex is, what the risks are and there outcomes. So why not? Hell most of them are tried as adults if they break the law, why are they adults if they break the law but children if they want to have sex? And besides, most 15+teens are having sex anyway, why should we call them criminals for doing what their bodies are biologically programmed to do? If we were meant to have sex older than that, wouldn't puberty occur at a later age?? I say for now lower it to 15 or 16 everywhere then gradually change how we raise our kids, increase sex ed and actually teach them right from younger ages and watch as they prove to us again, as they had for centuries in the past, that they can, in fact, handle adult responsibilities, then at that point you could consider lowering it to 13.

• Yes, It Should Be Lowered, But...

Yes, I do believe the age of consent should be lowered, but at 13, people aren't mature at all and many things aren't opened up for a child at the age of 13. If it was to be lowered, I think it should be lowered to something more mature such as a 16 year old.

• No Consent At 13

Although A 13 Year Old May Look As Though They Are Capable Of Making Decisions Of This Nature, In Actuality They Are Not And Regret It Later In Life. They Are Too Easily Influenced By Peer Pressure And By The Thought Of The "Act" Of Doing Something "Grown Up". Simply Put, Most Teens At 13 Are Naive And Don't Realize The Gravity Of An Early Pregnancy On Their Future.

Children under the age of 18, and some even over the age of 18 do not have fully developed emotional and decision making skills that would suggest they are capable of making decisions about sexual activity. A 13 year old, especially female, does not understand what it means to be pregnant or care for a child, and should not be considered old enough to consent to opening themselves to that possibility. A child must be given a chance to adjust to their changing bodies, emotions, and possible parental roles and expectations before opening them to the possibility of being put in sexual situations by those older (or even the same age) as them.

• No it should not.

The Age of Consent should not be lowered to thirteen. The laws are meant to protect children who could be taken advantage of. At the age of thirteen, people could not possibly know what they're getting into and the consequences. The age of consent should be at an age where someone could better understand the consequences and make better decisions on it. That age would probably be 16 or 17. Of course, people of these ages could still be taken advantage of, however they've had more time to mature and have had time to better understand the consequences of their actions. Thirteen is far too young.

• Sex at a young age can have strong negative consequences.

Sex early in early adolescence is positively correlated with substance abuse and self esteem. Thirteen is part of a life stage with an abundance of peer pressure, and a lot of younger teens don't really understand the difference between "you're not bad for having sex" and "having sex is a good idea". Lowering the age of consent- especially to such a low age- would make early adolescents much more perceptible to predatory behavior.
    I'm not saying that the age of consent shouldn't be lowered. The age of consent in my state is 17, which I think is too high. Discussing a change in the age of consent, though, should preclude any age commonly grouped with early adolescence.