Should the age of consent be raised to 18?

Asked by: moyalo
  • Teens dont need to have sex

Teens should wait until after their marriage to have sex. Teen pregnacy should not be prevalent in our society. It is a thing of the past. There are too many risks out there. I ask why cant you wait until 18 to have sex, I know it is a part of nature, but don't you know about stds

• Though a law may not completely wipe out a behavior, it may limit it, which is certainly desirable.

Two issues here: whether teen sexuality is desirable and whether the raising the age of consent would do more harm than good in regards to the prevalent view in our culture on youth sexuality.

What's happening here is that our attitudes toward sex have shifted to a recreational view, one that sees sex has having few consequences (if any) and not putting anyone in danger. In effect, sex is seen as a private affair and not having any social dimensions, which is a matter for another debate.

The notion of sexuality being harmful is critical though. A 17-year-old can't get a job at a sandwich shop because of knife-handling laws requiring the employee being at least 18 years of age. Is sex potentially more influential on life than handling a knife? Drinking alcohol is, legally, considered requiring responsibility and so the drinking age is generally 18 years and sometimes older; the same goes for purchasing cigarettes. Driving also cannot be done before 18 without proper education of the risks associated with driving; in a similar vein, we have widespread sex education, which is obviously not sufficient. Since the cultural view of sexuality (especially in America and Europe) has shifted to see sex as harmless and even physically beneficial, it's no surprise the question of consent age is viewed this way. If the consent age were to be raised, though, it would reflect a societal view that sexuality is something to be handled with responsibility and has its risks associated with it, and so, in a strange, indirect way, might gradually foster a cultural attitude that would reduce, to whatever extent, reckless sex that leads to unwanted pregnancies and STDs among youths.

What's ironic, moreover, is that a non-pornographic movie with explicit sexuality will, if lucky, get a rating of R (can't get admitted without parents if under 17), or otherwise NC-17. Why should young teens be able to do acts they can't legally see, whether in the movies or on pornographic websites? This is saying nothing of the fact that teens will absolutely still have sex regardless of consent age--one social force (especially when it's a law) is never enough to combat a behavior. I maintain, though, that it would serve as decent restraint on teenage sexuality (nobody wants to get in trouble, for the most part) and so would lower rates of teenage sexuality (and thus lower teen pregnancies, ideally). This effect on pregnancies and STDs would depend on whether condoms and other contraceptives are still being sold to minors, and wouldn't be up to the change in consent age by itself.

• To protect against sex with a minor

In the uk you are unable to drink or smoke till you are 18, However you can legally have sex at 16, I am 30 years old yet techinically I could legally have intercourse with a 16 year old child as long as they consented, how this is not seen as a criminal offence is quite frankly insane they are minors in all other aspects of the law

• Teen pregnancy is bad

Teen pregnancy is too common nowadays with 16 year olds. They haven't finished school yet and they're having kids. I think by 18 you would be finished with school, therefore would have an education and be able to survive on their own with their kids. I just think they need to be more responsible.

• Ues it 1000% should!!!

I heard they're lowering it to 13 which is complete BSat 13 you;ll still look like a 10 year old and your still in school you got no time for sex let alone not actually knowing a thing about it. 18 is the perfect age because your an adult by then and your allowed to drink and stuff. I get people don't want kids 12 or 13 or whatever you wanna call it getting pregnant but this is just motivating them more and more to turn bad and be having sex so young. What's next, 9? Your making them believe its ok to fo this when really its not, not yet at least. If you people keep blinding yourself to believe this nonesense then soon enough kids 11 will having sex. Think that's ridiculous? THEN REALISE 13 IS RIDICULOUS COZ THATS ONLY 2 YEARS MORE! You gotta be 18 for everything else so why not this? If you gotta be 18 to smoke, drink and drive but 13 or whatever to have sex thatll just make kids think they can do what they want and they'll be doing the other stuff like smoking early too. Where'll all this lead? Drugs. Smoking addiction. Alcoholic. Prostitution. I've heard how highschool girls talk and its revolting you never hear them talk about sense just the 10 different guys they slept with this week and they don't know half they're name and dont know what a hymen is! Not to mntion these girls look like 10 year olds. In conclusion yes, the age of consent should DEFFFFFFF be raised to 18 without a doubt!

• Ues it 1000% should!!!

• Ues it 1000% should!!!

• Ues it 1000% should!!!

• Young teenagers under the age of 18, are simply not physically or mentally old enough to cope with the responsibilities of having sex.

The are not emotionally mature enough to make sensible choices and are likely to live a lifetime of regret, nor are they mature enough in many cases to take on the responsibilities of adequate precautions against pregnancy and disease.
    They are not fully matured physically and can face serious complications in the event of a pregnancy due to the strain on a body that is not yet fully grown.

• Nobody below 18 should EVER be having sexual intercourse.

Teenagers lack the time,maturity and training to care for a child. Bearing a child is a long and stressful process that is best suited to mature adults who can actually care for a unborn child. Plus teens have there whole life ahead of them. Why blow it out so soon?

• Immoral and Ineffective.

My main qualm with an adult age of consent is the assumption that sex is an inherently adult activity, which I don't find to be the case. It can certainly be considered a MATURE activity (I'm not in favor of 10 year olds running around getting laid), but relatively speaking, out of all activities deemed by our society to have a mature nature (i.E. Driving, voting, sex, drinking), I would assert that sex is the least serious. An age of consent should be implemented, but 15 or 16 is far more reasonable than 18. By this age, teens have likely had ample sexual education and are mature enough to recognize the risks on the same level as adults. If a 15 year old can be trusted with life and death by driving a car, they can be trusted to take a mature approach to sex.

Regardless, I'm in favor of abolishing all age of consent laws. Consensual sex is about the most private activity imaginable; attempting to regulate it is not a solution. Teens are curious, and they WILL have intercourse whether we like it or not, similar to the fact that teens WILL experiment with drugs/alcohol, whether we like it or not. Age of consent laws do not currently have any impact upon teen pregnancy, and raising the age will not increase their effectiveness. All these laws serve to do is put individuals in consenting relationships in prison on statutory rape charges, a tragedy I've seen occur too many times. If we really want to chip away at big issues like teen pregnancy and STD transfer, we should abolish the age of consent and replace it with laws concerning mandatory sexual education and easy-accessibility to condoms and birth control.

• Teens are sexually active beings.

We cannot categorize all of them as "innocent little children." After puberty, most teens know what sex is. They are not as naïve to what sex is, thus, an adult wouldn't be able to coerce a teen to sex if the teen didn't want to. If a teen wanted to have consensual sex with an adult and are educated on how to prevent the physical and mental harms, then what would be the problem? Raising the age of consent will only restrict teen sexuality.

• I say no

I think that the sexual consent age should not be raised to 18 because it will not prevent teens having sex, but maybe encourage them to have more sex. Plus, I do not want to have to wait for that long to legally have sexual intercourse, and I shouldn't have to.

• I say no

• Sex is an innate instinct

A majority of people have had some sort of sexual experience by the time they reach the age of 18. Raising the age of consent to 18 is forcing people to suppress their desires when they are at a high level of intensity. The age of consent should be decided by the individual, not by the government.

• Age Of Consent Fine

I do not see any reason to change the age of consent. In some areas the age of consent is already 18, in other areas it can 17 or sometimes 16. I believe it would be best to make the age of consent consistent from one state to the next, but I see no reason to raise it, rather than lowering it.

• Making something illegal never prevents it.

Look at the "War on Drugs". Drugs are FAR more accessible and cheap (in today's dollars) than they were in the Eighties when our government started this nonsensical "drug war".

Trying to prevent teen sex is even more futile. We evolved to have sex in our teens. Nothing, not social stigma, not poor sex education or sheltering, not threats, has ever kept teenagers from having sex. All you produce with such nonsense as "abstinence only sex education" is pitifully uninformed and ignorant kids who engage in unprotected risky behaviors. Kids receiving abstinence only education are MORE likely to get STDs or pregnant, less likely to use contraception, and more likely than their peers to engage in risky behaviors like unprotected oral and an@l sex. Those making "purity pledges" also only delay their average age of virginity loss over their peers by nine months.

What SHOULD be required is comprehensive sex education at an age early enough to make a difference (before 14, which is the average age of virginity loss in America) and available contraception.

• Dildo lol roly poly sex

I believe that the age of consent shouldn't be raised. It will do more harm than good and means arresting more people for making love with people they trust and care for (obviously people aged 16-18). It is absolutely ridiculous to think this and post it in the first place.

• People do not have any right to limit their freedom

There is no prove that sexual relationship truly harm the child and children can give consent.I don't see the sense of rise age of consent while it only make it worsen.By rising it,only harming more teens who are sexual active who willingly to engage in sexual relationship.So if there are some children who have enough knowledge about sex then why not ??They can have sex at any time once they feel prepared.

• No,i don't think

The purpose is to protect prepubescent children from these sexual predators from being abuse not teenagers .Teenagers can consent in having sex once they reach the puberty age they can understand sex act and make informed decision.Of course if everyone should get protected from raped but if there is no raped involved then the law have no right to interfere.