Should the age of majority be lowered to 14?

Asked by: Fanny
  • 16 year olds can make a valid decision.

Teenagers can make a valid point. A 5 year old and a 16 year old have a different brain. At 16 you can make a valid decision. Heck some people could make a valid decision at 11! But at the same tims some can't. And I don't think we'd get an age lower than 16. It's kind of frustrating for people who could and want to make a valid decision on things. So I think the age of maturity should be lowered to 16.

• At least a separate status please.

While a 16 year old may not have the same development of a 30 year old, a 16 year old is much, much closer to an adult than a four year old. Yet in the black-and-white mind of society, the 4-year old and the 16-year-old are both "silly, brainless kids" while the 19-year-old (even one with a mental disorder) is "mature". The "age of medium" will fill the gap between child and adult, allowing a more gradual transfer from childhood to adulthood.

Proposed rights:
    - Signing a contract, as long as it is not life-or-death
    - Voting in state elections
    - A name change (I would certainly want one if my name were "Shontonshma TiShasha")
    - BOTH the parent AND the teen have to agree on things like class choices
    - Other immunities, such as rights over hair (no forced haircuts)

• It should definitely.

Apart from everything else, the right to vote would sway elections to support a larger age group. Many people below 18 dont care about politics because they know they cant vote. Why is their opinion less valid than that of adults? It isnt. I actually think it should be moved to about 13/12.

• I'd love to be 14 again!

I fully support lowering the age of the majority of People to 14. Not only would this create a massive amount of new jobs in the US, since most men and women who are now employed will be teenagers again; it would also unburden our Health System, since everyone suffering illness because of his or her age would be young again.

• Lowering the age of majority does nothing good for society

Lowering the age of majority has no redeeming values for our society. All it is going to do is send a message to teenagers that it is okay to have sex and get pregnant. All because many people do things that are bad for society doesn't mean society should change to allow this.

• But there is no need to have the same age of majority for evcery type of decision.

The reason we have an age of majority is for the limited rationality of children. This is to some extent justified up through the age of 18, or possibly even a few years more. But the development of rationality is gradual and it is not necessary to restrict child autonomy equally long in all issues. Especially choices that have consequences far beyond the age of majority, such as choice of education, cannot reasonably be left to parents, since that would extend parental authority beyond the age of majority. If the child cannot choose for itself, education must be standardized until the child gains enough rationality to choose for itself.