Should the age of majority be lowered to 16?

Asked by: Fanny
  • 16 is an ideal age, not before nor above 16

I did not live with my parents after 16. I was living in my own apartment, working full time, looking after myself. I never got into any kind of trouble. I was much more responsible at 19 then my parents were at that age. Now I see kids babied throughout their 20s. I think most 16 year olds are ready to be a part of the "real world"; but the law restrains them and holds their parents responsible for them. In the US, they can't leave home without their parents' permission. In countries where the age of majority is lower, like Cuba, teens are much more responsible. Teens will act like adults if given adult rights and responsibilities, instead of treated like children.

• If you have a valid drivers license, then absolutely.

I feel everyone should have a right to vote at 16, if they have a valid drivers license. As citizens we are losing are rights continually, so we all need to speak up and why not start as soon as you get licensed. The age limit for tobacco and alcohol should remain at 21.

xilence says2014-01-12T19:54:03.777
Maybe 17. If life expectancy goes down with no real chance of going up within a decent amount of time then yes. I do however believe that 16/17 should pass on drugs and alcohol but should be legally be allowed to make more basic decisions. Many are abused or tormented all up until 18. Courts should recognize 16+ as the age of majority in family law.