Should the arts (music, drama, dance and visual art) be taught at school?

• To fortify human-mind.

Yes, i totally support this because learning arts , music dance in school ....Develops a human mind and teaches them patience to solve any probloem easily.
    And if a student possess a keen interest in any out of these subjects , he/she and expose out the talent and can grow a excellent life in that field.

• To fortify human-mind.

• To fortify human-mind.

• To fortify human-mind.

• To fortify human-mind.

• The arts are integral to the growth and development of the human mind and the expansion of human intellect.

The inclusion of the arts in the school curriculum is vital to the development of a well rounded and insightful person and citizen of the world. When dance, music, drama and visual arts are added to the learning process and wherever possible, co-mingled with the stricter academic studies it can and will allow for the development of keen critical thinking and problem solving skills.
    I posit the example of music and music theory. The challenge is in the presentation of the education to the perspective student. If one were to ask the student to select any song of their choosing, then with that student's own choice music theory can be used to break down the song according to why they like it and how music theory was used to construct the song. Perhaps the student liked the beat or tempo of the song. Music theory contains mathematical concepts that apply to counting, frequency, volume, in essence physics (science). These same math concepts are use for diagnostic imaging for treatment of disease and disorders. Perhaps the student liked the lyrics of the song, or "The Hook". Music theory properly and purposefully demonstrated can uncover the language art used to create that very hook. Theory can show how language used in a musical way, following a formula can facilitate memorization. Most people can remember the words (or at least the hook) to many songs. Imagine memorizing complex formulas and processes because you heard it in a song. Perhaps it was the way the song made the student feel that caused them to like it. The theory of music can explain how a song can be used to manipulate emotion and change ones mood or behavior. Think of movies without music to carry through a scene.
    Examples of how each art plays a vital role in the ability of the individual to expand their mind, to see, hear and think of greater possibilities (and solve problems) can be given here but this is not the venue for that. As stated earlier the real challenge is in the proper presentation of these arts to the student. The student needs to be shown how these arts are used in their everyday lives. The schools and curriculum need to integrate these arts into the academic disciplines as part of the learning process. This can be seen as a tall order given our current methods of education but that does not in anyway diminish the value of these arts.

• There is nothing wrong with a little fun!

There are so many careers out there that are about drama, music or even art. If you don’t let kids learn these things, then you would have to take away the jobs too. Also, these things make your kids happy and relieved. It doesn't take up your time. The people out there who think it's a waste of time are wrong!

• What's wrong with having some fun?

If the arts are ban from school how are artists supposed to become actors, singers, dancers, etc. You never even note at sports, but sports are the same as the arts. Some might not be made for the arts, but the other fraction aren't made for sports. There should be a choice for the child to choose whether he/she would like to do sports or one or more of the arts.

• It relieves stress

Are you looking for a fun, energising and effective way to relieve stress and anxiety? Dance classes are the best way to relieve stress. Taking time out in the day to partake in a dance class can help to reduce stress levels. Let me explain, this is true because when you're dancing your brain slows down and isn't thinking about everything else in your life that you are worrying about. Also, it is a proven fact that almost 50% of stress is built up from depression. So, researchers discovered that getting up, grabbing a partner, turning on some music, and dancing the tango gets rid of depression. In other words, if you are sad right now get up and dance the tango.

• No need of all this

A PERSON IS ALWAYS KNOWN FOR HIS/HER EDUCATION. If a person is good in science he can become a scientist but if a person is too bad in academics and good at art , dance he won't be known for all this . Some people are the best artist,dancers but if they won't be able to talk in front of people in English then what ? If a person doesn't know the body parts , muscles , how will he be able to dance . An accident can happen if we move the wrong muscle. If a person looses his legs and he is a dancer how will he be able to dance . If he is not educated then life becomes a waste

• Expressive arts should be banned !

Look how many people are bad at English and they need to improve it. Look how many people who are good at art then to who are good at Maths. There are lots more people. Expressive arts should be banned, it is way to much to pay for all those equipments. If the child himself has enough money to buy an instrument why not a home teacher. We need to know more of Scince Maths and English because that will ACTUALLY help in life. Most people try and put their career to be a professional artist or dancer or singer. But look, there are just way to many. Also besides that, I would like to point out the amount of money you will get if you work as an artist. Think, not a lot right ? However, if you know Maths Science and English those subjects can help you create a future job. Or a company. You will also be able to get more money and then when you eventually grow up you will be able to feed your family and give your kids the best of education. MATHS, SCIENCE AND ENGLISH !!!!

• Most kids hate it, and it does not help in life.

These subjects can be learned by the few kids that care, out of school. They make most kids feel bad, they waste time, and they often teach nothing. Maybe they would in high school, but you would be able to choose these classes there. You learn nothing from these classes in grades under high school. You need Math, Literacy, and some other knowledge that will help you in life, but not how to dance, play a piece of plastic called a recorder, or draw fruit to live your life.

• There isn't enough real life skills

Music, drama, dance and visual arts are more of an interest and not skills that will tackle real everyday life struggles that students need to survive when they become young adults. There needs to be more math, reading and life skills like managing finances, budgeting money and how to manage a household taught in schools. There are too many illiterate students graduating high school and too many dropping out. Some think that they will be able to survive on a career in music, acting and dancing but the one's that are lucky enough to get that break are very few. Life skills, reading and math are needed by everyone, everyday.

• Music is unimportant

Students don't need music in their lives its not a must it uses slang words which spoils the childrens grammar and vocabulary. It takes time off their studies and teaches them bad language music is also bad for health children stick headphones in their ears which causes health problems some may not use headphones but they put the music really loud. Which is very bad

• Money for supplies

Many instruments and art supplies are very expensive. When starting to buy them, the price might be so high that many people can't afford it at all. Probably, if students had to be assigned to buy their own instrument and art supplies, then that person will lose lots of money.

• Completely useless subjects

Ok first of all, this is coming from a kid in grade 7, I'm going to start off with drama. For me I think drama is the worst. It's completely useless and i hate to say it but it does not benefit me educationally or in any other way possible. The teachers say it's supposed to be a fun subject, that's a complete lie. It's fun for maybe 5% of the class, but for the rest of us it's really just complete embarrassment. It's a complete waste of my time and I think that no kid should have to endure that. If someone would like to do drama, you can take special classes, I refuse to be evaluated on something so utterly useless I can't even describe it. I think that art and music are both the same as drama, just a complete waste of my life that I could be spending learning things I will actually use in my everyday life.I think that subjects like math,science,English etc. Should definitely be included because I will definitely use all 3 of those subjects throughout my life. So if any teacher see's my message all I can say is please, don't put your students through this. It's just so stressing and it's just more work for these kids to do not to mention it's just another thing I have to worry about, at some point you must also consider what may be going on in your students everyday lives, most of us just simply don't have time for this.Please consider this message, this is a message on behalf of 90% of the kids who must go through this.

• It should not

Nd it's not always because they just don't like it. Most of my friends can't do things like art, music, and drama, and are embarrassed to do it. Now I would call that child abuse. Forcing a child to do something they can't do and then failing them and telling them they can't graduate high school or college just because they couldn't do what was forced on them. And don't misinterpret this, they tried, but because they weren't good in that subject, they failed the class, which results in them failing high school and college( if their in college) Personally, I'd be just fine if I could pick it as a subject, not a requirement.

• Kids do not need to get Brain washed.

I think they should because they need to have something to express themselves.
    They also need to have a break from all the learning.

Against: i am against the fact that it takes a long time out of your real school work.
    Also you should not take long doing it.

For: I think they should do it because art is a form of human expression that is so natural and intuitive that language is not necessary to communicate that expression. Children benefit from this not only by having the opportunity to express themselves, but also from the enhanced language skills that evolve from studying the foundations of language.

Against: Not all are meant to do these things. Or if they can do Art, Music, Drama.

For: It is a fun way to stay active. You can move your body.

Against: I think that you should not get graded on what you don’t want to do. Or what you can’t do.

• Not all are meant or even can do arts like ART, MUSIC, DRAMA

I would have to disagree with this subject. Now most people would be surprised that I said that because I LOVE art, music, and most of all, drama. But I have plenty of friend who don't. And it's not always because they just don't like it. Most of my friends can't do things like art, music, and drama, and are embarrassed to do it. Now I would call that child abuse. Forcing a child to do something they can't do and then failing them and telling them they can't graduate high school or college just because they couldn't do what was forced on them. And don't misinterpret this, they tried, but because they weren't good in that subject, they failed the class, which results in them failing high school and college( if their in college) Personally, I'd be just fine if I could pick it as a subject, not a requirement.

johnsonbalke says2013-10-08T05:35:24.867
It is important that students are taught and made proficient in different forms of art and social work and studies primarily because it helps them in exploring their talents in an effective manner and can develop their future in the right direction http://www.Woodbridgeuniversity.Com/schools/social-services/