Should the arts (music, drama, dance and visual art) be taught at school?

• It is great exercise

On a website I found called, “http://www.Astepaboveacademy.Net/5-reasons-why-dance-should-be taught-in-schools/“ Shannon, who is a dance teacher wrote this,”Here are 5 reasons why dance should be taught in schools, First and foremost: exercise. Dance can be a great form of physical activity for people of all ages. As a teen, there is no way you would’ve gotten me into a gym to run on a treadmill or lift weights. I stayed in shape because of dance, plain and simple.” I like Shannon’s comment on how dance is a great source of exercise. Ever since I started dancing in school, I feel like I am in much better shape and I have been much healthier.

• Creativity is why

They should be taught at school because they provide some way to use creativity and they teach and enhance critical thinking and other areas of the brain not usually used as much. School is a repeating cycle of memorizing, test, forget, memorize, test, forget. Arts offer way more variety than an average common core subject.

• Creates a Well-Rounded Person

Exposure to the arts allows a child to learn and develop new skills. Although few students will take to a career in the fine arts, it is a great way to become more well-rounded and to fortify a young mind. This also gets a child exposed to something outside of their natural scope of their interests.

• Of course it should!

Just because it might not be for everyone doesn't mean the opportunity should be taken away from anyone. Not everyone is going to use science in their life or algebra but it is compulsory to take it. What's the difference in forcing children to step outside their comfort zone and try something new?

• Let the Kids be

Listen- if you don't like the arts so be it. But the kids should get a chance to do what they love. School musicals, several choirs, thespian competitions, etc. I speak from personal experience. I am a theatre kid and I have to say that my acting friends are my best friends. Statistics show that kids in drama/ music classes have better test scores and connect with others on a deeper level also going to plays or paying for classes outside of school can be expensive and therefore not everyone can afford it. So- if you keep arts in public school more kids will get to experience it.

• Let the Kids be

• To fortify human-mind.

Yes, i totally support this because learning arts , music dance in school ....Develops a human mind and teaches them patience to solve any probloem easily.
    And if a student possess a keen interest in any out of these subjects , he/she and expose out the talent and can grow a excellent life in that field.

• To fortify human-mind.

• To fortify human-mind.

• To fortify human-mind.

• No need of all this

A PERSON IS ALWAYS KNOWN FOR HIS/HER EDUCATION. If a person is good in science he can become a scientist but if a person is too bad in academics and good at art , dance he won't be known for all this . Some people are the best artist,dancers but if they won't be able to talk in front of people in English then what ? If a person doesn't know the body parts , muscles , how will he be able to dance . An accident can happen if we move the wrong muscle. If a person looses his legs and he is a dancer how will he be able to dance . If he is not educated then life becomes a waste

• Expressive arts should be banned !

Look how many people are bad at English and they need to improve it. Look how many people who are good at art then to who are good at Maths. There are lots more people. Expressive arts should be banned, it is way to much to pay for all those equipments. If the child himself has enough money to buy an instrument why not a home teacher. We need to know more of Scince Maths and English because that will ACTUALLY help in life. Most people try and put their career to be a professional artist or dancer or singer. But look, there are just way to many. Also besides that, I would like to point out the amount of money you will get if you work as an artist. Think, not a lot right ? However, if you know Maths Science and English those subjects can help you create a future job. Or a company. You will also be able to get more money and then when you eventually grow up you will be able to feed your family and give your kids the best of education. MATHS, SCIENCE AND ENGLISH !!!!

• Most kids hate it, and it does not help in life.

These subjects can be learned by the few kids that care, out of school. They make most kids feel bad, they waste time, and they often teach nothing. Maybe they would in high school, but you would be able to choose these classes there. You learn nothing from these classes in grades under high school. You need Math, Literacy, and some other knowledge that will help you in life, but not how to dance, play a piece of plastic called a recorder, or draw fruit to live your life.

• There isn't enough real life skills

Music, drama, dance and visual arts are more of an interest and not skills that will tackle real everyday life struggles that students need to survive when they become young adults. There needs to be more math, reading and life skills like managing finances, budgeting money and how to manage a household taught in schools. There are too many illiterate students graduating high school and too many dropping out. Some think that they will be able to survive on a career in music, acting and dancing but the one's that are lucky enough to get that break are very few. Life skills, reading and math are needed by everyone, everyday.

• Music is unimportant

Students don't need music in their lives its not a must it uses slang words which spoils the childrens grammar and vocabulary. It takes time off their studies and teaches them bad language music is also bad for health children stick headphones in their ears which causes health problems some may not use headphones but they put the music really loud. Which is very bad

• Money for supplies

Many instruments and art supplies are very expensive. When starting to buy them, the price might be so high that many people can't afford it at all. Probably, if students had to be assigned to buy their own instrument and art supplies, then that person will lose lots of money.

• EMBARRASSING plus HOBBIES!

I remember when I was younger...
    It was straight up embarrassing to do that ****.
    I was only in 5-6 grade and we had to do so much work.... Just to do a short dramatic play about anti-bullying. Yes, it's important not to bully students but I'm sure EVERYONE KNOWS THIS ALREADY!! How many plays about bullying are there?! We had to cut out signs and decorate...Ugh! I mean, nobody really wanted to do it I guess. "I'll just go cause Joshua is going! Everything is better when Joshua is there!" I mean, that's kinda why people came there. There were a few others but I would rather not sing in front of my teachers/students. I don't think I sing bad but it's embarrassing enough. 20 people staring at you like you're an animal in a zoo. Plus, you can do all those other things as hobbies. It's not hard. We should be learning math, science, etc 1st then we can learn the less important stuff later. What is music going to do for me when I'm trying to take my TEST? I'm not trying to remember D D D F F F C F C F D D D when I had ALREADY STUDIED and knew all the answers! If only I could remember what I had studied. All I can remember are those piano notes. So that's my opinion.

• Completely useless subjects

Ok first of all, this is coming from a kid in grade 7, I'm going to start off with drama. For me I think drama is the worst. It's completely useless and i hate to say it but it does not benefit me educationally or in any other way possible. The teachers say it's supposed to be a fun subject, that's a complete lie. It's fun for maybe 5% of the class, but for the rest of us it's really just complete embarrassment. It's a complete waste of my time and I think that no kid should have to endure that. If someone would like to do drama, you can take special classes, I refuse to be evaluated on something so utterly useless I can't even describe it. I think that art and music are both the same as drama, just a complete waste of my life that I could be spending learning things I will actually use in my everyday life.I think that subjects like math,science,English etc. Should definitely be included because I will definitely use all 3 of those subjects throughout my life. So if any teacher see's my message all I can say is please, don't put your students through this. It's just so stressing and it's just more work for these kids to do not to mention it's just another thing I have to worry about, at some point you must also consider what may be going on in your students everyday lives, most of us just simply don't have time for this.Please consider this message, this is a message on behalf of 90% of the kids who must go through this.

• It should not

Nd it's not always because they just don't like it. Most of my friends can't do things like art, music, and drama, and are embarrassed to do it. Now I would call that child abuse. Forcing a child to do something they can't do and then failing them and telling them they can't graduate high school or college just because they couldn't do what was forced on them. And don't misinterpret this, they tried, but because they weren't good in that subject, they failed the class, which results in them failing high school and college( if their in college) Personally, I'd be just fine if I could pick it as a subject, not a requirement.

• Kids do not need to get Brain washed.

I think they should because they need to have something to express themselves.
    They also need to have a break from all the learning.

Against: i am against the fact that it takes a long time out of your real school work.
    Also you should not take long doing it.

For: I think they should do it because art is a form of human expression that is so natural and intuitive that language is not necessary to communicate that expression. Children benefit from this not only by having the opportunity to express themselves, but also from the enhanced language skills that evolve from studying the foundations of language.

Against: Not all are meant to do these things. Or if they can do Art, Music, Drama.

For: It is a fun way to stay active. You can move your body.

Against: I think that you should not get graded on what you don’t want to do. Or what you can’t do.

johnsonbalke says2013-10-08T05:35:24.867
It is important that students are taught and made proficient in different forms of art and social work and studies primarily because it helps them in exploring their talents in an effective manner and can develop their future in the right direction http://www.Woodbridgeuniversity.Com/schools/social-services/